diy solar

diy solar

DEYE Inverter UL Listed available in US

Off-topic but Deye is rolling out a 3KW 24V hybrid now based on the current platform. Kinda tempting for smaller applications. I might would even attempt a mobile application. Does require the use of an autotransformer but for super value for the price. A little less than Victron I would say when it comes to a total installed cost for the same wattage. Stackable up to 16 inverters in parallel.

1628528859974.png

Attachments

• 【b】hybridinvertersun-3-3.6k-sg04lp1.pdf
    302.2 KB · Views: 11
Also for those who are adventurous but tight on budget:

The 230V/240V versions of the Deye hybrid inverters are cheaper than their split-phase counterparts per watt. Sometimes significantly depending on the model. Hundreds of $$. So for off-grid or grid-backup only applications, it can be cheaper to buy the single-phase version and just use an AT.

I know I said this above but for the sake of others coming along who may read this, from an installer's point of view, it may not be prudent to directly compare any of the current MPP/Voltronic lineup (LVX6048/LV6548) to a Deye hybrid inverter. Particularly on price as they are built to different standards. I'm not saying anyone is or running down the MPP/Voltronic inverters whatsoever, I'm just saying a Deye inverter is much more akin to a good European inverter (SMA/Victron etc) than any of your average Chinese inverters in spite of the fact they are made in China. The internal architecture is significantly different (I covered this at length in a previous post) than your average Chinese design, making them superior and more efficient in a number of ways. Besides that, they are built on high-end Panasonic parts etc which drive up the cost of manufacturing significantly.

The THD on a Deye is rated at less than 3%. For a lot of the Chinese inverters, IMHO, they don't build a large inverter and derate it like Deye does. They build a 6KW for example and sell it as a 6KW. This means the THD is going to get bad fast as you load it. With an oversized inverter, the THD will not fall off nearly as quickly as you reach the rated operational maximum. I'm not saying MPP does this but the MPP inverters don't even have a THD rating making them questionable to me for several uses IMHO. I see off-grid users who didn't pay much for their inverter but see their appliances fail sooner than they should or at least need to be repaired more often... Makes a person wonder.

The eff of the LVX6048/LV6548 is rated at between 91% and 93%. That's worse than your average high-end LF inverter.

Again, I'm NOT bashing on MPP inverters. I just wanted to make clear there is more than just a price difference between them and Deye.

Attached is the latest Deye manual.
I built my setup based on research and info from many folks on this forum, along with multiple Youtube channels like off grid garage, DanF, LtDan, and DMI inc.
I installed dual MPP LV6548's, and so far so good. I liked what I saw on DMI inc's channel as far as reliability of the MPP inverters.
So far, no issues. I have the great fortune to have two complete installs at two different houses. One in NY running MPP, and one in Charleston running SMA full time since 2008. My MPP install started this year, and I am not even finished adding more battery banks yet. It will end up with 50KW of Lifepo4, backed up by a 20KW generator.
I will let you know if I run into issues with the MPP units, but so far, they have been great, and support has been excellent via Ian at Watts247. (He actually called me from his car at the airport to help solve a config issue I was dealing with!).
So for me, SMA has a great proven track record of perfect reliability. MPP also, but very short personal experience, but have seen others running for more than 3 years no issues, and the price is right.
I love the capabilities of Sol-Ark, but I think their prices are wacked, so a US Deye alternative is fantastic!
I want to replace the existing SMA inverters in Charleston, as they are quite old. SMA seems too AC coupled focused for me. I like not using Grid, and want to use the same PV panels during a blackout. So Deye and the new LVX8048WP's are very interesting to me. The Deye's would be double the price though, and the MPP's are so damn simple. Such a hard decision.

So far, no issues.
Awesome to hear! I hope that continues to be the case!

I love the capabilities of Sol-Ark, but I think their prices are wacked, so a US Deye alternative is fantastic!
I want to replace the existing SMA inverters in Charleston, as they are quite old.
If I may ask, what does your SMA config consist of? Depending on your hardware, you could just a Data Manager M, even to old RS485 Sunny Boys/6048s, with an energy meter for grid-zero.

Awesome to hear! I hope that continues to be the case!

If I may ask, what does your SMA config consist of? Depending on your hardware, you could just a Data Manager M, even to old RS485 Sunny Boys/6048s, with an energy meter for grid-zero.
SunnyBoy SB 3000 US and a SunnyBoy SB 6000 US connected to a smart meter. I turned off the Grid-Tie contract when I bought the house. They were installed in 2008.

Attachments

• 20210401_115230.jpg
    20210401_115230.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210401_115237.jpg
    20210401_115237.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210401_115204.jpg
    20210401_115204.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210401_115210.jpg
    20210401_115210.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 8
I could be a commercial for SMA. Running thirteen years straight ( except at night) without an issue. Thats pretty impressive.

ip licensing, just like the us does to the rest of the world
The US/Canadian consortium is the owner of the IP to LiFePO4.
https://www.lifepo4ag.com/

They gave China exclusive rights to manufacturer LiFePO4 batteries without a licensing fee in 2012 to jump start the technology. In 2022 that agreement will be up and other countries will be able to produce them at a competitive price. Given the Tariffs on Chinese products and the fact that they will have to now pay the licensing fee it is going to be much easier for Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam and US companies to manufactor cheaper batteries.
https://roskill.com/news/batteries-...p-rights-esg-simplified-battery-pack-designs/

Here is the major Quote:
  1. IP rights kept LFP confined to the Chinese market; this will change after 2022

LFP cathode producers explained to Roskill that the consortium managing LFP’s IP rights reached an agreement with the Chinese battery industry a decade ago in which, as long as LFP was produced and used within China, the consortium would not charge Chinese manufacturers a licensing fee. As a result, the price of Chinese LFP batteries has always been considerably lower than non-Chinese LFP batteries. However, the patents’ restrictions over LFP will start to expire in 2022. Simultaneously, the limitation of LFP exports on Chinese producers will be largely removed, along with the licensing fee for non-Chinese LFP cell producers. The removal of this IP barrier could become the largest opportunity for LFP-based Li-ion batteries to rapidly gain market share in the EV market outside China.

I could be a commercial for SMA. Running thirteen years straight ( except at night) without an issue. Thats pretty impressive.
As I mentioned above, 9 times out of 10 when I see a failure on well-built equipment, it's related to the installation. That's an amazing example right there folks. Not to mention that 6K SB is from 2004 lol.

Lite only supports one battery inverter?
Not very useful for US Sunny Island systems. Maybe Sunny Boy Storage.

Maybe the non-Lite would work for me. But I finally got a Web Box (which of course I'm not connecting to the web.) So I finally have logging of production per inverter throughout the day, if I want to review it. I recognize that charting or automating trend monitoring would let me spot problems. I had a string disconnected at a wire nut and didn't know until I got a clamp meter and walked the yard putting it around MC cables.

Does Data Manager M provide any sort of dynamic power control, that people might use for response to grid needs or for zero-export?
My system either exports 100% when on grid, or uses frequency shift to match loads off grid.

Last edited:
Does Data Manager M provide any sort of dynamic power control, that people might use for response to grid needs or for zero-export?
My system either exports 100% when on grid, or uses frequency shift to match loads on grid.
Yes, with an appropriately installed meter, I believe it should be possible. SMA has a tech note here:

Also, I would suggest the list called "Benefits at a glance" here. Fourth line item from the top on the left.

Lite only supports one battery inverter?
Not very useful for US Sunny Island systems. Maybe Sunny Boy Storage.
I'm going to test this. Logically the split-phase system uses a single RS485 connection to the master of a given island cluster and I'm pondering if the Lite views a single split-phase cluster as a single unit but they didn't qualify that in the manual. We will see. If it doesn't work, I have installs around with a single 6048 inverter + an AT I can throw it on.

"•Various options for open-loop and closed-loop control of active and reactive power such as zero feed-in or Q(U)"

The new Sunny Boys can be commanded in some way for zero export. I wasn't clear if the older models using RS-485 like 6000US could.
I noticed when connected to some inverters of the -TLUS series they had max wattage setting reduced, wasn't sure if that was a reduced cap or something that had been dynamically changed.

If RS-485 was used to repeatedly write changed parameters, I would be worried about wearing out non-volatile memory. Flash is good for about 1000 write cycles, so there is a wear-leveling algorithm. EEPROM 1,000,000 cycles, which could still be exceeded with constant adjustments like for zero-export.

Being able to limit exports to whatever agreement with utility, e.g. 10kW cap, would be a useful feature.
Many people would like to expand beyond original installation + 1kW, without moving to NEM-2.0

Knowing SMA, they likely have active power control via RS458 without the need to write any data to the flash. In the same way they use CANBUS commands to actively control the SI's. They basically pioneered FW control for PV inverters long before anyone else supported it and they very likely have active commands via RS458, it's just not publically documented. I could try it sometime just to see when I get the chance or just shoot a message over to SMA support.

And it's definitely possible with SMA's latest updates to the Data Manager M. It now has native RS485 support. No need for the COM Gateway.
I will need to check these for what ports are available. I will be in Charleston next week.

I would not personally buy either of these inverters. This will be a bit snarky, but I have a point: Inverters are not sold by what features they have or how much energy they can handle.. they are sold by weight... period.. end of story.

The reigning undisputed king of inverters are the SMA Sunny Island units. For 120 volts at 6000 watts, the unit weighs 139 lbs.. for just one of them. You need two of them (278 lbs) to make a 120/240 split phase system at 12kW.

That said, you can make a single unit produce 6kW at 120/240 with a transformer.. at 139 lbs.

The Outback Radian 8048 (8kW unit), in my opinion and many others, would be the next best unit on the market, and it weighs 125 lbs.

I own two Sunny Island units and a Radian as well.

After these two models, the quality goes down hill.. and when I see 6000 to 8000 watt inverters being sold and they only weight 70 lbs and are packed with all kinds of fancy features, I tend to run away..

I think the difference between 70 and 130+ pounds is how much abuse the unit can take and if it will still be running in ten or fifteen years.

You can buy a brand new SMA Sunny Island (with 10yr warranty) on ebay today for $2500..

That's just my opinion.
I just bought a house that has been running SMA nonstop since 2008. That is proof of the quality in SMA.

Back