diy solar

diy solar

DIY 4x4 Box truck w/ 1200w of Solar - 1120 ah LiFePO4 Batteries!

There's really no one-size-fits-all answer to what you're asking for. It all boils down to "It Depends" based on what size your system is, what parts you want to use, how much power you can use and generate, where can you stick things, etc.

Short answer would be Battery -> Fuse -> Inverter -> Distribution Panel ->AirCon/Fridge
So the equipment is identical for either 12 or 24v ? Seems there would need to be some sort of converter difference... LOL mind you I know not for which I speak...... Thanks for answering and not trying to highjack thread.

So the equipment is identical for either 12 or 24v ? Seems there would need to be some sort of converter difference... LOL mind you I know not for which I speak...... Thanks for answering and not trying to highjack thread.
If you want, start up a new thread on it and you'll be able to get all sorts of ideas on the best answer for your particular setup. It's OK to ask questions on here. :)

Be prepared when you pull up those deck boards to end up replacing a few. Not sure what style yours is, but most are open on the bottom so they will have some rot and you will break the joint when you pull them up. A local tractor trailer supply store will have the kind you need, or you can rip your own on a table saw. I'd much prefer to buy new ones if you can find them.

If you really need to go thru the trouble of pulling the deck boards to access the rusty spots, you might as well add a splash screen below the decks and insulate on top of it, like a 5th wheel. I've never had a box that didn't get a little damp from the underside in bad weather. I'd go with something like 2" - 3" pink foam board, then closed cell foam around the cut and cobble so it's fairly watertight, then your water barrier material below that.

Be prepared when you pull up those deck boards to end up replacing a few. Not sure what style yours is, but most are open on the bottom so they will have some rot and you will break the joint when you pull them up. A local tractor trailer supply store will have the kind you need, or you can rip your own on a table saw. I'd much prefer to buy new ones if you can find them.

If you really need to go thru the trouble of pulling the deck boards to access the rusty spots, you might as well add a splash screen below the decks and insulate on top of it, like a 5th wheel. I've never had a box that didn't get a little damp from the underside in bad weather. I'd go with something like 2" - 3" pink foam board, then closed cell foam around the cut and cobble so it's fairly watertight, then your water barrier material below that.

I went back with OSB.

Pulling up all the boards. Lots of rust!

qjycLs2l.jpg

Coated everything with POR-15:

4scuFr0l.jpg

Then I covered the underside of the OSB with FRP. And sealed the edges with epoxy resin.

LmVUiFkl.jpg

Everything down and sealed:

Mww67O4l.jpg

Installed the RV steps. This will be SUPER handy once the box truck is 4WD.

kDl6GO6l.jpg

moclDFkl.jpg

2 of the 4 batteries I am building are finished.

zK5ft0Bl.jpg

I put them in ABS battery boxes, and was testing everything out.

J2hgk1dl.jpg

Multiplus:

mEL0qdYl.jpg

RPi w/ 7" screen. I tried making my own cables to connect between it and the SmartShunt. It was a no go. Had to use Victron Cables. I also connected the Multiplus using a USB to VE.Can adapter.

Mpw5h4Pl.jpg

MpCV3yel.jpg

iuMBYVnl.jpg

And the A/C Panel I'm using is a Blue Sea 30A panel:

UcDsvw0l.jpg

After some tinkering I have everything working great together. I have to order 2 more solar panels and 2 more batteries. Plus the rest of the Victron components. But, we're getting there.

Back