diy solar

diy solar

DIY tools

BretS

I have lots of mechanical and carpentry tools, but really nothing as far as electrical (other than some cheap automotive stuff). So, I am trying to figure out what I need for my DIY project. I am not trying to build a complete workshop here, just build out the system in my 5th wheel and maintenance after that. And I need to be minimalistic, because I plan to full time for a couple of years and storage is a premium. That said, here is what I had planned to buy to build my battery when the cells/BMS arrive:
DMM
Power Supply
heat gun
Are those decent tools?
What are some good crimpers for various sized wire? I need to go from small to really big...
Anything else I have to have? Thanks for the help!

I have lots of mechanical and carpentry tools, but really nothing as far as electrical (other than some cheap automotive stuff). So, I am trying to figure out what I need for my DIY project. I am not trying to build a complete workshop here, just build out the system in my 5th wheel and maintenance after that. And I need to be minimalistic, because I plan to full time for a couple of years and storage is a premium. That said, here is what I had planned to buy to build my battery when the cells/BMS arrive:
DMM
Power Supply
heat gun
Are those decent tools?
What are some good crimpers for various sized wire? I need to go from small to really big...
Certainly the Fluke is a good choice.
The power supply really depends on what you will use it for, up to a 24v battery pack it's a solid choice (I reviewed it in the tools section).
Heat gun, I can't say, I just bought cheap (probably the one Will recommended).
Will recommends some crimpers, I have been quite happy with my Wirefly set, along with their assortment of connectors.

Or for only heatshrink connectors

The Klein wire stripper is an excellent choice, but use the link Will has so he gets a small cut.

Certainly the Fluke is a good choice.
The power supply really depends on what you will use it for, up to a 24v battery pack it's a solid choice (I reviewed it in the tools section).
Heat gun, I can't say, I just bought cheap (probably the one Will recommended).
Will recommends some crimpers, I have been quite happy with my Wirefly set, along with their assortment of connectors.

Or for only heatshrink connectors

The Klein wire stripper is an excellent choice, but use the link Will has so he gets a small cut.
Thank you! Do you happen to know where the link is for the strippers? I've done searches, but I'm having a hard time finding his video's on here...

Thank you! Do you happen to know where the link is for the strippers? I've done searches, but I'm having a hard time finding his video's on here...
Try here:

Will gives good advice, don't buy cheap tools. I still regularly use tools that are 40 years old because they are good quality, and don't try to "make it work", use the right tool for the job.

DMM
Power Supply
heat gun
Are those decent tools?
FYI, the review I did of the power supply:

Thread 'Cheap power supply for top balancing (tested and works well).' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/cheap-power-supply-for-top-balancing-tested-and-works-well.19846/

My savings for doing it myself are steadily going down here... ?
I have found this meter perfectly acceptable, and that is comparing it to a Fluke 87.

If you need crimped 10 gauge connections for your power supply, I can make some and send them to you (I have done this for a couple of people, makes a big difference when trying to top balance or charge). Unfortunately I suspect that you will still need the stripper and crimper for other things.

Klein does make cheaper crimpers as well.

My savings for doing it myself are steadily going down here... ?

I'd like to suggest that you determine exactly what components you have to put together, and what kinds of connections they require, before making a list of tools to purchase. In the case of battery cables, you may find that it makes financial sense to get them made to order rather than purchase the tools and materials needed to make them yourself.

I'm currently putting together a battery, inverter and AC outlet, and there's a detailed thread about it that is specific about tools. Might be worth reading: Setting Up a Lithium Battery (Lithium Werks Valence) for DC and AC Power.

I have found this meter perfectly acceptable, and that is comparing it to a Fluke 87.

If you need crimped 10 gauge connections for your power supply, I can make some and send them to you (I have done this for a couple of people, makes a big difference when trying to top balance or charge). Unfortunately I suspect that you will still need the stripper and crimper for other things.

Klein does make cheaper crimpers as well.

I changed to the meter that Will suggested - it was much cheaper and seems good enough.

Thank you for the offer! But, like you said, I will need the stripper and crimper for other things - plus the smaller sizes I will use in my toolset for the camper. It is the bigger ones that seem a lot of money for only this project. I decided to get this one because Will said it would do an awesome job if you have the time... I can find time easier than I can find money, so...

I changed to the meter that Will suggested - it was much cheaper and seems good enough.

Thank you for the offer! But, like you said, I will need the stripper and crimper for other things - plus the smaller sizes I will use in my toolset for the camper. It is the bigger ones that seem a lot of money for only this project. I decided to get this one because Will said it would do an awesome job if you have the time... I can find time easier than I can find money, so...
I bought that myself, and it does an excellent job.

I can say Powerwerx also will custom build cables, and they cater to hams, so you can trust them if you need some made. They sell great quality products, although you pay for it.

Will has good links, and I even agree with most of them.

One last suggestion, if you buy the Klein current clamp meter, you need not buy the cheaper meter.

Here's my recommendation to not buy a crimper; I'm posting this reference to a couple posts on the topic:

I always said that if you use a tool twice, it has paid for itself, you just need to charge enough to cover the cost. :cool:

Buy quality tools, not cheap tools. Do I use some tools from Harbor Freight? Yes, I do. But for wire crimpers I use Snap On, Klein makes good ones too. Wire stripper I use is Klein. https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/...e-stripper-and-cutter-solid-and-stranded-wire
I'm pretty good about buying quality tools for jobs that require precision, or that I will do frequently. The only thing I'm on the fence about is the large cables - those tools would only be used for this install, so I may end up with premade cables.

As mentioned, Will has a tool page. The links also help him maintain this forum. It’s worth supporting when you buy:

I try to look here first when shopping for a solar tool.

Last edited:
Seems a bit hypocritical to be promoting his affiliate links when this forum prohibits affiliate links. I think you should remove that.

Back