diy solar

diy solar

Do I need a bus bar for a couple small 20awg connections?

jaytee

I am running two of my 12v devices directly to the inverter ring terminals. They're tiny (20awg wire). Is there a rule of thumb when I should be using a bus bar versus direct connect?

I do not know about rule of thumb, but I would suggest you to fuse those small wires in case the loads have short circuit.

Stacking no more than 3 ring terminals on a post is a general rule. An inline ATC fuse holder can be utilized.

Or just wire in a fused terminal block and connect your loads to it.

images

images

am running two of my 12v devices directly to the inverter ring terminals. They're tiny (20awg wire). Is there a rule of thumb when I should be using a bus bar versus direct connect?
Do you mean you are using the inverter inputs to connect 12VDC devices to? Or are you referring to your charge controller?

Yes they should be fused and I’m a huge fan of those bluesea fuse boxes with negative terminal blocks. I feed mine with 8ga and fuse at 30A with a fuseholder like above (those fuseholders shrink in shipping from China. Mine are supposed to be 8ga but they arrive just slightly thicker than 10ga).

Anyways, I am uncertain how to answer you because connection of 12V things to 120V inverters seems - dubious.

Back