diy solar

diy solar

Do I Need Breakers for Each Battery

Always the + unless for some reason it is grounded. Can't think of any reason it would be. But had to cover all bases. (Possibly an old European mobile installation)
Only exception I am aware of is -48VDC telecom systems.

Not sure if I'm right, but I always thought the reason the (+) is fuse/breakered is to maintain the grounds as the (-) are grounded.
Overcurrent protection is always done on the ungrounded conductors.
DC systems (if grounded) are usually negative grounded. But in rare occasions it is the positive that is grounded. In those cases the Overcurrent protection would be put on the negative.

Always the + unless for some reason it is grounded. Can't think of any reason it would be. But had to cover all bases. (Possibly an old European mobile installation)

'67 MGB GT. Positive ground system. Not that it's relative to this discussion, but oddball systems like that do exist. I had to be careful when getting a jump start from another vehicle.

'67 MGB GT. Positive ground system. Not that it's relative to this discussion, but oddball systems like that do exist. I had to be careful when getting a jump start from another vehicle.
Yup
That's why I covered my butt. lol

Yeah, something about limiting corrosion on long copper phone lines. Not sure why it is still done for telecom and radio equipment though.
That was interesting enough to make me look it up. According to the internet, it started as a way to limit corrosion, just as you said, because back in the Dark Ages a lot of wire insulation was cloth based, and corrosion was more of a problem for telephone lines. Apparently it's still being done because modern insulation greatly reduces the corrosion problem but doesn't eliminate it.

So I learned something new tonight. Thanks!

Back