diy solar

diy solar

does ANYONE else notice EG4 6500ex limits solar power DC to AC when using both MPPT?

It couldnt hurt!

The reason I ask, is because im guessing at some point your setting 02 was higher, and then you tried EG4 mode it reset itself to 20a because it thought you only had 1 battery in the bank.

I had this issue when i first started and had my dip switches set wrong

Signature solar tech had me set to 20A from 60A on setting #2. BMS comms do not work for me yet. It gets error 61 code even after updating.SS tech mailed out replacement cable. He thinks it may be a simple hardware defect for the cable. I have tried reversing both sides of the cable but did not resolve error 61 code. I assumed #2 setting was only for utilities not overall amp setting. Adam de lay corrected me on that misunderstanding. Option #11 is for utility amp limits.

Last edited:
Signature solar tech had me set to 20A from 60A on setting #2. BMS comms do not work for me yet. It gets error 61 code even after updating.SS tech mailed out replacement cable. He thinks it may be a simple hardware defect for the cable. I have tried reversing both sides of the cable but did not resolve error 61 code. I assumed #2 setting was only for utilities not overall amp setting. Adam de lay corrected men on that misunderstanding. Option #11 is for utility amp limits.
I made this video a month or so ago. Goes over basic bms test software and towards the end I talk quickly about dip switch and 61 error. Not sure if it will help you. Note I learned after...that you still need to cycle batteries on and off (see comment in video description)

Signature solar tech had me set to 20A from 60A on setting #2. BMS comms do not work for me yet. It gets error 61 code even after updating.SS tech mailed out replacement cable. He thinks it may be a simple hardware defect for the cable. I have tried reversing both sides of the cable but did not resolve error 61 code. I assumed #2 setting was only for utilities not overall amp setting. Adam de lay corrected men on that misunderstanding. Option #11 is for utility amp limits.

Would you know why I got a FAULT 71 code with error code 61 when i used option #5 EG4 battery comms setting?

I currently am in "USE" mode to clear out and stop alarms and keep inverter working.

Thank you for your help so far ??

so F71 - Firmware version inconsistant?
or 71(!) - If battery status is not allowed to discharge after the communication between the inverter and battery is successful, it will show code 71 to stop discharging battery

do you still get one of those faults after resetting all the batteries and changing the 02 setting?

or 71(!) - If battery status is not allowed to discharge after the communication between the inverter and battery is successful, it will show code 71 to stop discharging battery

do you still get one of those faults after resetting all the batteries and changing the 02 setting?
I would assume the latter since I believe he said he only has 1 inverter. Still doesn't make sense though because 61 is "lost comms", so how could 71 be thrown for a LVD?

It sounds more and more like either a bad cable OR the firmware update to 79.70 didn't fully take. I've heard a few instances where reflashing the firmware again just ends up fixing the problem.

Hello, i don't have battery comms between my inverter at the moment. I am going to wait until the replacement cable from SS arrives. At that point I will reset the batteries and attempt EG4 mode in setting #5

Also, not sure of F71 or 71! . I recall it as F71 , but didn't take a pic or record. I was pissed at the time and gave up after doing updates to inverter and still was getting 61 error and when i got hit with a 71 code it pissed me off ?

Thank you for all your help ?

I would assume the latter since I believe he said he only has 1 inverter. Still doesn't make sense though because 61 is "lost comms", so how could 71 be thrown for a LVD?

It sounds more and more like either a bad cable OR the firmware update to 79.70 didn't fully take. I've heard a few instances where reflashing the firmware again just ends up fixing the problem.

Hello,

I received the replacement cable from Signature Solar (SS) today. I placed the inverter in EG4 setting under option #5. I then disconnected all PV inputs and shut down inverter and lastly turned off all batteries. I THEN turned on the batteries 1 by 1 staring with master battery at top. I waited for each battery to cycle on then turned on following batteries in same way. I then turned on the eg4 6500Ex inverter with eg4 comm setting ALREADY on inverter

I waited about 2 min and STILL have ERROR 61 code.

Would you know what i have done wrong? dip switches look exactly as in battery manual pdf. Cable is new and #5 setting is in eg4 and shut down and restarted batteries and inverter. I can't believe SS sent out 2 defective cables repeatedly.

Can you upload videos here or just pictures?

well maybe its time to check the pins on the coms cable again

2nd suggestion is check the pins on the communication cable. Mine have the pins in different spots for each end of the cable.
The side I have plugged into my 2p1 Inverter has the wires/pins in spots 3&5.
The side of the cable that plugs into my master battery has the wires/pins in spots 1&2.
pin 3 from the inverter goes to pin 1 in the battery
pin 5 from the inverter goes to pin 2 in the battery

i suppose something else you could try is setting a different battery as master battery.

you could try setting 2nd battery as master with all dip switches down
cycle batteries on and off again.
try it with just 2nd and 3rd battery connected and maybe it will show if there is a problem with the comms on the battery you have set to master, or if its possibly some issue with the inverter

Hello, i don't have battery comms between my inverter at the moment. I am going to wait until the replacement cable from SS arrives. At that point I will reset the batteries and attempt EG4 mode in setting #5

Also, not sure of F71 or 71! . I recall it as F71 , but didn't take a pic or record. I was pissed at the time and gave up after doing updates to inverter and still was getting 61 error and when i got hit with a 71 code it pissed me off ?

Thank you for all your help ?

Hello, the EG4 cable works ?. I also shutdown and restarted batteries and inverter. So far things are working.

Great to hear!

Hi Adam, have you done a video on how to repin an Ethernet cable to work with eg4 6500ex inverter Incase others have defective cables? I looked on YouTube videos you've done, but didn't see one.

I would do a video, but i am uncertain how to do it myself and do not want to give wrong info to others who needs help.

Hi Adam, have you done a video on how to repin an Ethernet cable to work with eg4 6500ex inverter Incase others have defective cables? I looked on YouTube videos you've done, but didn't see one.

I would do a video, but i am uncertain how to do it myself and do not want to give wrong info to others who needs help.
I haven’t. I tried to make my own custom cables for firmware updates and just wasted money because I couldn’t get it to work.

I don’t have any EG4 batteries, so I’ve never had to deal with bad comms cables to the batteries.

Back