diy solar

diy solar

does ANYONE else notice EG4 6500ex limits solar power DC to AC when using both MPPT?

BobbyB

Hello, i have a eg4 6500ex and decided to put all 4 Jinko solar panels 400w(all same model number) on 1st mppt input

and 4 solarever 410w solar panels ( all same model number) on 2nd mppt input.

I was getting around 2,400w (2.4kw) average from one string on 1st mppt input BEFORE.

Why would I be getting 1200w-1300w NOW by putting each brand on their own mppt input?

CURRENT SOFTWARE is 6112 & 7970

I also have ERROR code 61 when i connect comms between inverter and 4 EG4 batteries using "BMS" option under setting tab "5"

I have tried EVERYTHING signature solar reps have said and EVERYTHING has failed to have proper comms. I am tired of having to wait over 2+ hours on the phone for help.

Last rep was "Hannah" told me she will email info to me next day on how to help and would be in contact with me when I called about ERROR code 61 & FAULT code 71( i only have 1 inverter). Fault code 71 is for 2 or more inverters have mis-communication from what I read. The fault code went away when i put inverter in "USE" mode in setting instead of "BMS" mode.

HANNAH NEVER CALLED BACK.
HANNAH NEVER EMAILED ME

I think Will Prowse is considered a VIP to signature and has never had to wait long. ?

I have to use "USE" Option for inverter to work with batteries. I tried again today to check of BMS could work after software update and STILL ERROR CODE 61

Setting 26 is 58v.
Setting 27 is 56.5

I think this is a defective unit.

Thank you for any help,

Last edited:
I also have ERROR code 61 when i connect comms between inverter and 4 EG4 batteries using "BMS" option under setting tab "5"

I am not on the latest firmware for the 6500, but when you say BMS for setting 5, is that the same as EG4? Are you trying to connect with EG4 batteries?

Have you tried flipping the communication cable around? The pins are in different sides for the side that goes to the battery and the side that goes to the inverter.

I was getting around 2,400w (2.4kw) average from one string on 1st mppt input BEFORE.

Why would I be getting 1200w-1300w NOW by putting each brand on their own mppt input?

Im not sure I understand.. are you saying you are getting more power now that they are on separate MPPTs?

Edit: So PV1 is reading ~600w and PV2 is reading ~600w as well?

Last edited:
I've had excellent results emailing, they have always got back with me in a timely manner, cant imagine the number of inquiries they get with people who just dont understand on how to properly install or setup the menu's.

As for the 61 error, mine was also corrected switching the cable connectors around, I also did the update. Not sure which one actually fixed the issue but it has communicated fine ever since. Hope that all it is with yours.

I am not on the latest firmware for the 6500, but when you say BMS for setting 5, is that the same as EG4? Are you trying to connect with EG4 batteries?

Have you tried flipping the communication cable around? The pins are in different sides for the side that goes to the battery and the side that goes to the inverter.

Im not sure I understand.. are you saying you are getting more power now that they are on separate MPPTs?

Hello,

1 yes, i have tried flipping cables around and both ways i get ERROR code 61

2 no, i get less power on separate MPPT. I think the firmware auto regulates and has a type of governor on the inverter similar to a car.

When they are on 1 MPPT i get more power.

When i have panels separated on 2 MPPTs i can see the inverter Lower power for 1mppt if the other is inverting more power.

I do NOT see how this can do MORE THAN 2,200w total DC to AC conversion.

Have any photos of battery dip switches and pin outs for the comm cable?

I uploaded 3 pictures. I contacted signature solar and went over the dip switches with "Kaleb". He confirmed they are in correct order. I was told it may be a defective cable and they he would mail them out last Tuesday ( may 16th 2023)

Attachments

• 20230523_140940.jpg
    20230523_140940.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230523_141009.jpg
    20230523_141009.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230523_140930_HDR.jpg
    20230523_140930_HDR.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
what is your setting 02 Max charging current set at?

is the inverter attempting to keep voltage at your Bulk Charging Voltage or at Float voltage?

Setting #2 is 20A

I do NOT charge from utility. I am in SBU mode. Solar, battery , Utility

Would putting it at 60A from current 20A assist in solar charging to the batteries?

Hello,

No it seems like both MPPT are either communicating or inverter has a predefined limit. One MPPT could be 500w and nother found be 800w. It's seems in my opinion that the inverter is throttling how much it will take in total.

Thanks ?, i will change it to 60A. What if i put it at 80A or higher? What will that do?

I spoke with signature solar tech today and we spoke about setting 2. I explained i don't use any Utility charging, but he did not mention higher Amps in that setting would help solar charging to recharge 4 Eg4 48v 100ah batteries

Last edited:
Why is your charge amperage set so low? It comes factory set to 60 amps. How many batteries did you have?

Signature solar tech explained that if i ever want to charge using Outlet wall plug i can only do max 20A. 60A is way to much power to push through and outlet. 120v outlets have a 15A- 20Amp max breaker. I am not tied into utility by main circuit breaker. I only use solar and batteries. (SBU) option.

I placed it at 20 In case for Unforseen emergency purposes i may need to charge batteries from outlets.

I do NOT use utility to charge batteries so I found no use in setting #2 other than in emergency that may arise.

There's a separate setting for Utility charging (11) where you would set that to 20a. Option #2 is your combined (overall) charging limit for the inverters (solar and utility).

You would want to set option 2 based on the max current your batteries could support (or how much you want max to push into your batteries).

There's a separate setting for Utility charging (11) where you would set that to 20a. Option #2 is your combined (overall) charging limit for the inverters (solar and utility).

You would want to set option 2 based on the max current your batteries could support (or how much you want max to push into your batteries).

DEAR GOD!

Tech never explained that to me ever!

I have (4) EG4 48v 100ah batteries. I put option #2 at 60 Amps. How many amps based on the batteries can i do?

Also, I have 1 eg4 6500ex inverter.

F.Y.I i subscribed to your YouTube video when i came across you months ago. The SS firmware update conflicted with their own update video process. SS didn't update the YouTube update video process when they changed how it was done.

Thanks ?

Last edited:
inverter has a predefined limit
setting 2 is the predefined limit. 20a * 54v = 1080w.. so thats why you are being limited.

I have (4) EG4 48v 100ah batteries. I put option #2 at 60 Amps. How many amps based on the batteries can i do?

Spec sheet says recommended 30-50a per battery. SS charges them at 40a in their office.
doesnt really matter for you since you only have 1x inverter and it max is 120a
30a * 4x batteries = 120a

I would set it at 120a.

If you switch to EG4 mode it will set setting 02 automatically based on how many batteries it reads in your battery bank. This is where the dip switches will become important. 20a is what the inverter will choose to charge 1x battery at.

After you set your dip switches, did you turn all of your batteries off and then switch them on, one by one, starting with the master battery and working down?

DEAR GOD!

Tech never explained that to me ever!

Also, I have 1 eg4 6500ex inverter.

F.Y.I i subscribed to your YouTube video when i came across you months ago. The SS firmware update conflicted with their own update video process. SS didn't update the YouTube update video process when they changed how it was done.

Thanks ?
With 4, 100ah packs you could set the max charging to its max of 120a. It will split the charging amperage between the 4 batteries.

"After you set your dip switches, did you turn all of your batteries off and then switch them on, one by one, starting with the master battery and working down?"

I do NOT recall so I will be conservative in my response and error on side of caution by saying NO i did NOT do this. If i do it NOW ( months later) will it help?

Back