diy solar

diy solar

E-Stop for EG4 6500ex-48

Bobindy

Hi. I'm new to these forums and this is my first official post with a question. I have an off-grid system; nine 455W solarever panels, each with an RSS module going through an RSS Transmitter to an EG4 6,500ex-48 out to 3 EG4 48v 100ah LifePower4 server rack batteries. It is my understanding that my local building code requires an exterior e-stop, or some way for the power to be shut down to my system from outside of my garage which is where my all my equipment and batteries are. I have an RSS system which stops the PV energy from charging the batteries whenever AC output power drops . But there nothing to stop the inverter from providing ac voltage to my main breaker box. And apparently there needs to be a way to accomplish that without ever entering the garage - in case of an emergency. Everything I've mentioned is inside of my garage. I can't find anything in the manual; is there a dedicated circuit on the EG4 Inverter I can tie into? Well I hope my question is clear enough. Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, out of the box there's nothing built into the 6500s that would let you disconnect the system using the RSS system.

Just spit-balling here, but the easiest thing might be to have an external battery safety switch on the outside of your garage next to the RSS shutdown button. Killing the power from the batteries would shutdown the inverters.

Do you have a code reference for this requirement? Disconnect requirements very depending on code versions.

A simple disconnect switch for the AC output of the inverter, that disconnects the supply of to the rest of the house, located outside may be enough to satisfy this requirement.

Unfortunately, out of the box there's nothing built into the 6500s that would let you disconnect the system using the RSS system.

Just spit-balling here, but the easiest thing might be to have an external battery safety switch on the outside of your garage next to the RSS shutdown button. Killing the power from the batteries would shutdown the inverters.
I guess I knew it would not be using the RSS system. But you're right.. I think I could really just stick a second, inline, battery safety switch on the outside wall, but I can't wrap my brain around whether it should be between the batteries and the existing interior battery safety switch or between the existing interior battery switch and the EG4 inverter.... I think the latter... but open is open, right? It should not matter before or after the existing one.... right? LOL
Do you have a code reference for this requirement? Disconnect requirements very depending on code versions.

A simple disconnect switch for the AC output of the inverter, that disconnects the supply of to the rest of the house, located outside may be enough to satisfy this requirement.
Turns out this is precisely what I need :). What's a little more #2 wire and a bit more conduit, and another box and some fuses? LOL. and, and, and.....

Back