diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX-48 Expansive lesson learned!

Sadow

Hello everyone! Let me start by saying how much of dumb I've been. I have grid-tied micro inverter-based solar panels (I duped myself into paying one of these door-to-door companies). I noticed I'm injecting almost 30-40kwh daily to the grid and getting paid $0.30-$1.50 per day depending on price range (I'm in the ERCOT market). I decided to get batteries to store the power instead of selling it for almost free. I failed to pay attention to the "Off-grid" part of every video review I saw of EG4 6500EX models. I bought 2 of them thinking I can run the whole house with 13kw along with 20kwh batteries.

I've got lots of experience in electricity as I worked as a master tech for a big utility company and now am a transmission dispatcher, so I worked from 130v DC system to 345kV AC with no residential experience (but everything in the substation is way more complicated than any house so I figure wth!!). So I wired up the whole setup via a sub panel, moved some circuits to the panel mostly fans lights computers etc, and left the big appliances on the grid panel (which I can backfeed during a power outage after turning the main breaker off via the tie-breaker)

The moment I started to wire up stuff, I came to the realization of how I would sync the inverters to solar panels with two different potentials and different phase angles due to frequency and voltage differences. That's when I stumbled on AC coupling inverters. I planned to use batteries at night to run lights, fans, etc., and leave the AC fridge on the grid as the AC units are 7.5 tons altogether, and I didn't trust the inverters to be able to run them due to the high in-rush current. The other main reason was to use the batteries and inverters during power outages and, in hurricane years, use the solar panels to charge the batteries. But alas, without AC coupling, I can't do it unless I somehow get a sync relay then fool the solar panels' control module to turn the inverters on to start producing power during an outage, and then somehow sync the two different power sources inverters AC output and solar panels output and then when batteries are full somehow decrease power output or completely shut them off, too bad I can't control their outputs or a sync relay would do wonders.

So, I called up SS to see what my options were. They suggested I purchase an 18k inverter, which can couple AC, create a microgrid, and bring my solar panels online during outages to charge the batteries. But I'd have to fork over another 5k even though SS offered $1000 off due to having just bought the 6500EX upgrade program. But I don't have the funds after getting solar panels and then investing 10k more on inverters, batteries, and parts. My wife is already after me because she didn't care much for solar panels, especially after hearing about the total cost I've spent on inverters and batteries. I didn't plan nor research enough to correctly assess what I should've purchased to properly use the solar panels, batteries, and a proper backup. So far, I've been using the timer function in the inverters battery SBU from 2000-0900 and USB 1000-1900.

Now, the few issues I've had with the inverters themselves. Flickering LEDs through the circuits batteries feed whenever I'm on inverter battery feed, I get flicking lights, and voltage would fluctuate 109-119v on both 2P1 and 2P2 randomly. I called SS tech support they told me I need a grounding screw to bond N-G (which they shipped yesterday). Also, I've updated it to the latest firmware, 79.71 (my inverters are missing option 42 after option 41, it jumps to 51), but I've still got flicking and voltage fluctuations. A few minutes ago, I installed an 8-foot ground rod outside, ran a solid copper ground bond, and grounded the inverters. Let's see if this helps (I believe my inverters didn't have a proper grounding; there is too much resistance between the inverter's ground and the main panel's ground). Hopefully, this will solve the issue I will see tonight when I roll to batteries.
Also no matter what I do via app or from the inverter buttons themselves I cannot get the output to change to 127v.
Adding few screenshots one is when the batteries are being charged and other two are from the horrid app “WatchPower”
I apologize for being long-winded, but hopefully, others can see this as what not to do and a lesson learned an expansive lesson!!.

Attachments

• IMG_4259.jpeg
    IMG_4259.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4261.jpeg
    IMG_4261.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4260.jpeg
    IMG_4260.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
voltage would fluctuate 109-119v on both 2P1 and 2P2 randomly.
I am going to stop you right there and say this is very not right. Can you un-parallel the inverters and run them one at a time and see whether one or both can provide you with a steady 120 volts and then let's go from there.

I feel your pain, I just pulled two 6500s off my wall now waiting for the 18Kpv and powerwall batteries. The only thing saving me was I am moving inverter and planned rack of batteries to the outside of my wife’s shop wall.
She was glad to get her space back and felt better after explaining the safety advantage of the newer setup.
I was putting the system together slowly and I did not have batteries or solar yet.
The upgrade program helped ease the pain.
In retrospect I have waisted lots of cash (extended warranty programs) in the past. As long as we learn from mistakes.

I am going to stop you right there and say this is very not right. Can you un-parallel the inverters and run them one at a time and see whether one or both can provide you with a steady 120 volts and then let's go from there.
I will try it right now I’m trying to charge the batteries they had drained to 17% before the rain comes I’ve got a mini fridge that pulls almost 700w and runs every 15mins I need to get rid of it. Once they are fully charged I will try your suggestion and report back. Thank you!

I feel your pain, I just pulled two 6500s off my wall now waiting for the 18Kpv and powerwall batteries. The only thing saving me was I am moving inverter and planned rack of batteries to the outside of my wife’s shop wall.
She was glad to get her space back and felt better after explaining the safety advantage of the newer setup.
I was putting the system together slowly and I did not have batteries or solar yet.
The upgrade program helped ease the pain.
In retrospect I have waisted lots of cash (extended warranty programs) in the past. As long as we learn from mistakes.
I wish I could get them to take the inverters back at least give me 80-90% of price I paid they are only a week old! So I could purchase the 18kpv

Don't be too hard on yourself. I had a similar experience with an existing Enphase grid-tie system and then wanted to add a back up inverter. Had never even heard of or thought about the difference between AC and DC coupling. Without knowing this terminology none of my search results came up with any relevant info. Was a real struggle for a couple of weeks trying to sort out the details.

The Air Conditioner issue can easily be solved by installing Soft Start devices. MicroAir or HyperEngineering Brand.

Also no matter what I do via app or from the inverter buttons themselves I cannot get the output to change to 127v.
I've heard of other people trying to make this change and you cannot do it. Even though it's an option, you cannot select it.

Don't be too hard on yourself. I had a similar experience with an existing Enphase grid-tie system and then wanted to add a back up inverter. Had never even heard of or thought about the difference between AC and DC coupling. Without knowing this terminology none of my search results came up with any relevant info. Was a real struggle for a couple of weeks trying to sort out the details.

The Air Conditioner issue can easily be solved by installing Soft Start devices. MicroAir or HyperEngineering Brand.
I’ve looked them up after reading Amazon reviews of people AC stopped working due to the soft starters failing or capacitors blowing it kinda scared me away. I mean I can repair AC on my own but right now I don’t want to risk it it’s daily 95F+ here. I plan on this in winter since in Texas we don’t get fall…

I've heard of other people trying to make this change and you cannot do it. Even though it's an option, you cannot select it.
Adam your videos were big help! In fact your videos convinced me into buying solar assistant you should ask them for royalties!!. But I what I don’t get is why show/offer an option if I can’t enable it.

Ya, I follow Mikey Pipes on YT he just removed a failed HyperEngineering device. Who ever installed it used the wrong model number and it wasn't rated for the amperage.

I've been using a Soft Starter on a 4 ton condenser for several years, no problems at all and our XW+ 6848 doesn't even notice when the A/C cycles.

Ya, I follow Mikey Pipes on YT he just removed a failed HyperEngineering device. Who ever installed it used the wrong model number and it wasn't rated for the amperage.

I've been using a Soft Starter on a 4 ton condenser for several years, no problems at all and our XW+ 6848 doesn't even notice when the A/C cycles.
Do you mind me asking which soft starter are you using?

I’ve looked them up after reading Amazon reviews of people AC stopped working due to the soft starters failing or capacitors blowing it kinda scared me away. I mean I can repair AC on my own but right now I don’t want to risk it it’s daily 95F+ here. I plan on this in winter since in Texas we don’t get fall…
Not what you want to hear...I fixed my 6500ex led strobe by upgrading to the 18Kpv. The 18Kpv runs the house and the 2x6500ex are backups/EV charging.

Edit to say the software for the 18Kpv is 1000% better than watchpower.

Last edited:
Not what you want to hear...I fixed my 6500ex led strobe by upgrading to the 18Kpv. The 18Kpv runs the house and the 2x6500ex are backups/EV charging.

Edit to say the software for the 18K is 1000% better than watchpower.
I wish I knew what I know now 3 weeks ago and I’d definitely had bought the 18Kpv. Fortunately unfortunately I don’t have EV vehicles ?

I wish I knew what I know now 3 weeks ago and I’d definitely had bought the 18Kpv. Fortunately unfortunately I don’t have EV vehicles ?
Unfortunately the the 6500ex youtube (big channel) reviews got me too. They all sounded something like this.

"look at this I can run a minisplit and charge my Tesla" .

I didn't stumble upon the legitimate review videos until I started searching for 6500ex flicker. That's when I found @Adam De Lay youtube channel.

Unfortunately the the 6500ex youtube (big channel) reviews got me too. They all sounded something like this.

"look at this I can run a minisplit and charge my Tesla" .

I didn't stumble upon the legitimate review videos until I started searching for 6500ex flicker. That's when I found @Adam De Lay youtube channel.
Exactly same happened to me sad part for me was I found Adam’s video until after I had my stuff in the garage in boxes ?

-

- I have it running without issues for couple of months now(x72 on 3.5 ton). LRA around 31-32 (from 95)
- researching schneider 6k xw pro to run AC

Not yet...??
I don’t know if I ever will once a week sometimes twice a week I have to drive 140miles round trip and having EV with limited range will hinder me. I’ve got friends and family members who got teslas model S and model 3s but the range anxiety and parts/repair availability gets me. I’ve got a Honda crv hybrid 2023 model I get 35-42MPG depending city or highway driving. For me to purchase a EV they’d have to get the range beyond 500+ miles and ability to last for a long while.

Adam your videos were big help! In fact your videos convinced me into buying solar assistant you should ask them for royalties!!. But I what I don’t get is why show/offer an option if I can’t enable it.
There's actually a handful of different options that just don't work with the 6500. It's just a clone of other inverters. Most use the same firmware. The 6500 has some custom firmware options, but it seems like a lot of the different options that don't work for this unit were just never removed (from either the firmware or the manual).

Back