diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX-48 Expansive lesson learned!

Hey guys, I read through this whole thread, and not to revive an old thread but I am still curious:

1. If we have (1) 6500EX and are experiencing flickering lights (and one light illuminated slightly when switched off) - Is there any easy to way test if it's the unit before chasing down wiring/swapping bulbs?

2. is it still worth it to upgrade to a 2nd 6500ex when additional power/solar is needed or is everyone scrapping these for the 18kw?

People like me, which are off grid and far from Texas (Mexico), are concerned that my fridge/freezer/mini split AC compressors may take a dump from the fluctuating voltages described in this thread... so either getting a different set up which is reliable, or having a backup inverter may be the best route...

I don't see a good option from EG4 with the new 6kXP being only 4000w per leg in 110v, id like a reliable inverter on 110 only to run my offgrid home without compromising my appliances...
Never really answered your question you could isolate all the load from it and have a singular circuit on it and see if the light on that one particular circuit flickers if it still does then to really get it completely isolated make you a small wire jumper with light bulb connect it straight to output of the 6500 if it still flickers then you know it’s the inverter.

This guy? How loud does it get when charging? similar to the 6500? Thats my 2nd biggest gripe aside from the flickering lights...
That looked interesting since on paper it does a lot of stuff for a very attractive price. Has some decent features, like 4 MPPTs and two load outputs (one requires grid).

A few things seem off, though. After showing drawings with 4 fan ports clearly visible, the install manual claims cooling is natural convection and the sound level is 38 dB. I'm guessing the manual is wrong on that.

The idle power was 115 W which is huge. 2.8 KWH per day just for that.

The specs in the spec sheet and in the manual don't always match, like weight.

Giving off strong "low quality" vibes for me. Maybe it works, maybe not.

Mike C.

Hey guys, I read through this whole thread, and not to revive an old thread but I am still curious:

1. If we have (1) 6500EX and are experiencing flickering lights (and one light illuminated slightly when switched off) - Is there any easy to way test if it's the unit before chasing down wiring/swapping bulbs?

2. is it still worth it to upgrade to a 2nd 6500ex when additional power/solar is needed or is everyone scrapping these for the 18kw?

People like me, which are off grid and far from Texas (Mexico), are concerned that my fridge/freezer/mini split AC compressors may take a dump from the fluctuating voltages described in this thread... so either getting a different set up which is reliable, or having a backup inverter may be the best route...

I don't see a good option from EG4 with the new 6kXP being only 4000w per leg in 110v, id like a reliable inverter on 110 only to run my offgrid home without compromising my appliances...

Before proceeding with wiring, you can check to see that only one neutral/ground bond is active within the system. If multiple bonds exist, you can verify that the neutral/ground bond is disabled on the inverter. Additionally, visually inspect the board to confirm the presence of the neutral/ground bond screw (if on the latest firmware). In some instances, flickering lights have been observed when the PV hovers near the maximum of 500VOC for the MPPT. Furthermore, ensure that the inverter is configured to match your local frequency (50/60Hz) and that the output is set to 120V.

Anyone hooked that unit up for Grid Tie? I have one (have not installed it) and wanted to see if I could wire it for self consumption, selling power back to the grid when I am not using it for loads, then charging the battery as needed.

Anyone hooked that unit up for Grid Tie? I have one (have not installed it) and wanted to see if I could wire it for self consumption, selling power back to the grid when I am not using it for loads, then charging the battery as needed.

The 6500ex is an off-grid inverter without the capability to sell back to the grid.

Back