diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX-48 Expansive lesson learned!

The black and red twisted pair din rail green plug cable

This one is now discconnected? I never had mine ever connected.

the com gray serial are still connected.

Gray serial needs to be connected for split phase operation. This is the only connection.
I will do a through test once sun goes down to see if truly the LED have Indeed stopped flickering. Only cables I have connect are two serial gray com cables and one Ethernet to Battery and one Ethernet - USB to 2P1 hanging in clear waiting for solar assistant to show up so I can connect it without having to take screws off of the PDP.

This is what threw me off, parallel function can be used in 240 split-phase the instruction manual is misleading or at least the way I understood it, and then the diagram shows the green dotted lines being installed along with the diagram of hookup grid power hooked up as 120-120, and the warning is misleading to me at least if improperly installed as in if you installed it in wrong place, such as port A to port B, it should be something like do not install paralleling current sharing wire when doing 120-N and 120-N 180 degree out for combined output from invert output to inverter out of 240V single phase . Only install current sharing cable when 2 or more units are sharing the same leg for higher current capacity. Or something similar. IMG_4282.jpeg

This is what threw me off, parallel function can be used in 240 split-phase the instruction manual is misleading or at least the way I understood it, and then the diagram shows the green dotted lines being installed along with the diagram of hookup grid power hooked up as 120-120, and the warning is misleading to me at least if improperly installed as in if you installed it in wrong place, such as port A to port B, it should be something like do not install paralleling current sharing wire when doing 120-N and 120-N 180 degree out for combined output from invert output to inverter out of 240V single phase . Only install current sharing cable when 2 or more units are sharing the same leg for higher current capacity. Or something similar. View attachment 167566
Right but what you installed was "paralleled connections for 240v split-phase" which is on page 18.

Right but what you installed was "paralleled connections for 240v split-phase" which is on page 18.
Reading it I feel like your video on the option 42!

Also I have a question or at least my understanding. In order to connect to roof solar panels with micro inverters during no grid power avva I need AC coupling capable inverter that would mean the inverter is able to synch the two sources together. But my understanding is micro inverters need a stable power and stable frequency in order to produce power. Micro inverters do they produce their own frequency and regulate voltage or do they latch onto whatever the grid is supplying them? Also whichever is the bigger stronger source of power is going to take over to regulate frequency as in either the solar panels inverters or the 6500EX I can’t see the micro inverts being capable of generating their own frequency they are tiny things. So that means 6500EX will the only source of frequency and voltage regulation and can probably fool the micro inverters to come on and produce power. Only thing remains is what happens to power that isn’t being used to serve load or to store in a battery I.E if solar panels are producing too much power than what is needed. 6500EX as far as I’m aware cannot shift frequency in order to curtail the solar panel output this is where automation can come into picture have some kind of power monitor with a frequency generator that can take the data from either solar assistant or batteries themselves as soon as batteries are nearing full start to inject higher frequency on the system or simpler trip the breaker that’s feeding in/out to the micro inverters. Im sure it’s not good for the mocro inverters to go from producing potentially 100% power to 0 in few cycles that’s why I think frequency generator is safer bet. As long as there are no loads that are motor based on the system at the time of frequency shifting as it can damage sensitive motors.

Edit: A separate cheaper invert that can take 48v DC invert to 240V AC sync with micro inverters and then work as a chargevert while 6500EX can be kept fed from batteries to serve load.

2nd edit: found this patent that enphase operates their inverters on: https://patents.google.com/patent/US7899632

looks like they look for phase angles if there is phase angle error within 50 micro seconds of sample it turns on a phase shift generator if another error is detected in same cycle the inverter determines an islanding conditions has occurred and proceed to shutdown the AC output.IMG_4283.jpeg

Last edited:
I can confirm with 100% certainty my flickering LED issue and voltage fluctuation has stopped by removing the current sharing wire. As of 1900 I am on battery power and none of my LEDs are flickerin. Voltage is steady at 120V no variations or random fluctuations. I’ve got a video of before and after one from last night and one from now but I can’t seem to upload it only lets me do photos.

Attachments

• IMG_4285.jpeg
    IMG_4285.jpeg
    679.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4284.jpeg
    IMG_4284.jpeg
    715.8 KB · Views: 7
Reading it I feel like your video on the option 42!

Also I have a question or at least my understanding. In order to connect to roof solar panels with micro inverters during no grid power avva I need AC coupling capable inverter that would mean the inverter is able to synch the two sources together. But my understanding is micro inverters need a stable power and stable frequency in order to produce power. Micro inverters do they produce their own frequency and regulate voltage or do they latch onto whatever the grid is supplying them? Also whichever is the bigger stronger source of power is going to take over to regulate frequency as in either the solar panels inverters or the 6500EX I can’t see the micro inverts being capable of generating their own frequency they are tiny things. So that means 6500EX will the only source of frequency and voltage regulation and can probably fool the micro inverters to come on and produce power. Only thing remains is what happens to power that isn’t being used to serve load or to store in a battery I.E if solar panels are producing too much power than what is needed. 6500EX as far as I’m aware cannot shift frequency in order to curtail the solar panel output this is where automation can come into picture have some kind of power monitor with a frequency generator that can take the data from either solar assistant or batteries themselves as soon as batteries are nearing full start to inject higher frequency on the system or simpler trip the breaker that’s feeding in/out to the micro inverters. Im sure it’s not good for the mocro inverters to go from producing potentially 100% power to 0 in few cycles that’s why I think frequency generator is safer bet. As long as there are no loads that are motor based on the system at the time of frequency shifting as it can damage sensitive motors.

Edit: A separate cheaper invert that can take 48v DC invert to 240V AC sync with micro inverters and then work as a chargevert while 6500EX can be kept fed from batteries to serve load.

2nd edit: found this patent that enphase operates their inverters on: https://patents.google.com/patent/US7899632

looks like they look for phase angles if there is phase angle error within 50 micro seconds of sample it turns on a phase shift generator if another error is detected in same cycle the inverter determines an islanding conditions has occurred and proceed to shutdown the AC output.View attachment 167581
Looks like that patent expired. Didn’t attempt to extend.

This is

that is the boat I’m in right now money problem. I’m almost tempted to chance getting a Chinese brand inverter over these EG4 products at this point, they cost half of EG4 or sol ark quick googling shows sol ark 8K around same price as 18Kpv.

I purchased the SUNGOLD SP6548 for my mother Sept 2022 and NOT had any problems! I HAVE EG4 6500ex and have the DAMN flickering lights problem!!

I purchased the SUNGOLD SP6548 for my mother Sept 2022 and NOT had any problems! I HAVE EG4 6500ex and have the DAMN flickering lights problem!!
single unit or you have two in split phase? If so make sure don’t make the same mistake as I did. They released a new eg4 6000 unit which is supposedly copy of their 18kpv inverter but cheaper option.

single unit or you have two in split phase? If so make sure don’t make the same mistake as I did. They released a new eg4 6000 unit which is supposedly copy of their 18kpv inverter but cheaper option.
It's not a copy. The 18Kpv Lux copies are 8,10 and 12 (aka 18kpv)

Hey guys, I read through this whole thread, and not to revive an old thread but I am still curious:

1. If we have (1) 6500EX and are experiencing flickering lights (and one light illuminated slightly when switched off) - Is there any easy to way test if it's the unit before chasing down wiring/swapping bulbs?

2. is it still worth it to upgrade to a 2nd 6500ex when additional power/solar is needed or is everyone scrapping these for the 18kw?

People like me, which are off grid and far from Texas (Mexico), are concerned that my fridge/freezer/mini split AC compressors may take a dump from the fluctuating voltages described in this thread... so either getting a different set up which is reliable, or having a backup inverter may be the best route...

I don't see a good option from EG4 with the new 6kXP being only 4000w per leg in 110v, id like a reliable inverter on 110 only to run my offgrid home without compromising my appliances...

Hey guys, I read through this whole thread, and not to revive an old thread but I am still curious:

1. If we have (1) 6500EX and are experiencing flickering lights (and one light illuminated slightly when switched off) - Is there any easy to way test if it's the unit before chasing down wiring/swapping bulbs?

2. is it still worth it to upgrade to a 2nd 6500ex when additional power/solar is needed or is everyone scrapping these for the 18kw?

People like me, which are off grid and far from Texas (Mexico), are concerned that my fridge/freezer/mini split AC compressors may take a dump from the fluctuating voltages described in this thread... so either getting a different set up which is reliable, or having a backup inverter may be the best route...

I don't see a good option from EG4 with the new 6kXP being only 4000w per leg in 110v, id like a reliable inverter on 110 only to run my offgrid home without compromising my appliances...
My suggestion get away from EG4 stuff im sure ill catch heat for it I ended up getting deye inverter that thing works like a champ 0 issues. Also signature solar got a new hybrid inverter vestwood id look into that seems like a copy of deye

My suggestion get away from EG4 stuff im sure ill catch heat for it I ended up getting deye inverter that thing works like a champ 0 issues. Also signature solar got a new hybrid inverter vestwood id look into that seems like a copy of deye
Wow so new but yet so sad 😥

It is difficult to say with the 6500 because some of them have always been fine and others no good from the factory, whilst installation methods have also been a problem.
The 6000 XP is 3 KW per leg so 6 KW
total, you could parallel two of them if you really need that 6 KW per leg and that would put you near the original price of the 6500 units.
Some of the new srne units are gaining favor here too so check those out as well.

This guy? How loud does it get when charging? similar to the 6500? Thats my 2nd biggest gripe aside from the flickering lights...

This guy? How loud does it get when charging? similar to the 6500? Thats my 2nd biggest gripe aside from the flickering lights...
I was looking for video review for it none I could find yet. You can always try calling signature solar and see what they say maybe spec sheets might have the db level of fan.

You could receive store credit for the 6500EX towards a pair of 6000XP's.

Back