diy solar

diy solar

Earth grounding - Off grid - Bed rock

In the case of a direct shock from a water soaked appliance the GFCI will cut power if a return to neutral is present (most commonly earth ground tied to neutral) no tie to neutral no tripping of the GFCI.
Nothing will stop a direct shock between hot and neutral. Unless your body conducts enough amperage to trip the over current protection.

I have been shocked many times throughout my career. And I have never tripped a breaker. Thankfully so, because I wouldn't be here to talk about it.

A GFCI is measuring the current on both the hot and neutral. A difference means current is going somewhere it shouldn't. It doesn't need a ground.

1658942145045.png

You have no local codes to reference? You mention a city but not a country.

I don’t know a lot about grounding, but a lot about grounding but it is quite different in different areas of the world like dry desert Australia compared to the temperate US.

Most areas of the world probably don’t have or enforce any code.

Nothing will stop a direct shock between hot and neutral. Unless your body conducts enough amperage to trip the over current protection.
A GFCI is measuring the current on both the hot and neutral. A difference means current is going somewhere it shouldn't. It doesn't need a ground.

View attachment 104320
When power is completely isolated from ground you ca still be shocked by contact between the 2 current carrying wires. Casually this can occur from handling attached wet devices. If the power is isolated there may be no difference to detect.

When power is completely isolated from ground you ca still be shocked by contact between the 2 current carrying wires. Casually this can occur from handling attached wet devices. If the power is isolated there may be no difference to detect.
Absolutely correct
As I stated before.

Absolutely correct
As I stated before.
My point is that with no difference between either neutral or hot to detect a direct water enhanced shock will not be detected and the GFCI cannot do it’s job. But the person who has become the path between hot and neutral will still be shocked with no dedtectable current that could have otherwise tripped the gfci.

My point is that with no difference between either neutral or hot to detect a direct water enhanced shock will not be detected and the GFCI cannot do it’s job. But the person who has become the path between hot and neutral will still be shocked with no dedtectable current that could have otherwise tripped the gfci.
Exactly
We are making the same point.

Back