diy solar

diy solar

Earth grounding - Off grid - Bed rock

Yuc_Solar

Do I need earth grounding in a full off grid system?

Here on the Yucatan we have around 50cm (20 inch) of dry, sand like soil. Then comes bed rock.

On top we have pretty strong storms with lightning and thunder.

Do I need earth grounding in a full off grid system?

Here on the Yucatan we have around 50cm (20 inch) of dry, sand like soil. Then comes bed rock.

On top we have pretty strong storms with lightning and thunder.
Yes, it is a safety issue. You need to be able to earth ground the metal case of your equipment. There are methods of grounding for rocky areas. You should be able to Google some solutions.

What kind of rock is the bedrock? Do you have a drilled well? Find out if the locals ground and if they do how they do it.

What kind of rock is the bedrock? Do you have a drilled well? Find out if the locals ground and if they do how they do it.
It's a very hard layer of rock.
Yes ..we have a well drilled 30 meter (90 feet).
The locals are not grounding. Bigger companies do with deep drilled holes. But this will cost a LOT.

IF I choose to drill a hole.
Where is it best?
Near the solar panels (where most probably the lightning will hit) or near the solar shed?
Distance = 15 meters (45 feet) .

Will this help to protect the panel array?

Thanks

Electrical grounding is not lightning protection. That's something entirely different. Ground rod should be located close to the AC power source. Wherever the N/G bonding is at. (Main Panel, or inverter)

The well casing could be a good ground.

GFCI outlets will help protect people from shock, regardless of whether ground wire is available.
A neutral-ground bond at inverter or breaker panel, with ground wired to GFCI, makes testing GFCI with its button possible.

If PV array is in danger of a direct hit, then lightning rods on poles nearby, with a wire draped between them (to catch lightning by offering a higher/better path than panels) might work.

Well casing would be an excellent earth connection to the grounding system.

I don't know of any installed these days that aren't PVC
GFCI outlets will help protect people from shock, regardless of whether ground wire is available.
As a guy who lives in a 1900 farmhouse with knob and tube wireing (no dedicated ground) NO without a proper ground GFI do not work. (as there is nothing to sense a voltage potential between N and G)

It depends on if a metal casing goes all the way to the water if it does it’s the most thorough ground you can get but often times the casing only goes to the ledge or is plastic

If a ground can't be done in the well, a buried (as low as you can go) horizonal rod might be your best option. You might need a >8' horizonal rod to maximize its effectiveness, possibly even multiple bonded rods (I seem to recall they should be spaced 6' apart, maybe someone else can confirm?) If the clamp must be exposed, you can likely bend in an "L" shape so one end extends just past ground level. I would suggest you get a tester and verify after install.

Last edited:
Please note that GFCI outlets work with no ground on the system. Really handy with 2 wire systems because any current flowing through you will trip the GFCI. GFCI look at the current in the hot and neutral lines and will trip if there is a difference in current.

Yes, the well casing would have to be metal to be used as a ground rod. Wouldn't have to reach the water line. Just be at least 8' deep to be comparable to a ground rod.

GFCI protection doesn't need a ground to protect you.
In fact it adds protection to a non grounded electrical system.
Perfect for knob and tube systems.

Yes. PVC casing in well.

Can I just lower a copper rod down to the water level?
What happens to my deep well pump in case of lightning strike?

GFCI protection doesn't need a ground to protect you.
In fact it adds protection to a non grounded electrical system.
Perfect for knob and tube systems.
This is true. I got a big kick out of the TV show I watched years ago where someone murdered somebody else by disconnecting the ground on a drill and wiring it so that the case was energized. The victim then of course plugged it into a GFI and was promptly electrocuted. I wonder if show intentionally did that to avoid giving any real life murderers functional ideas. Who knows they may have saved a lot of lives by putting that little error in the film. Although you don’t need a ground for a GFCI to work you do need a return path to neutral. So if I understand correctly in a truly isolated system where neither hot nor the neutral are grounded you would have a chance of the GFCI not working or tripping without a ground fault.

If there's no alternative path to trip the GFCI. Then there's no path to cause harm to you. The GFCI is there to protect you if and when an alternative path becomes available.

If there's no alternative path to trip the GFCI. Then there's no path to cause harm to you. The GFCI is there to protect you if and when an alternative path becomes available.
In the case of a direct shock from a water soaked appliance the GFCI will cut power if a return to neutral is present (most commonly earth ground tied to neutral) no tie to neutral no tripping of the GFCI.

Back