diy solar

diy solar

Need Advice on Mounting Solar Panels to Wooden Frame and Grounding Off-Grid System

Ditto...
"Pull ground along with PV to inverter."
Bond your panels to a single EGC wire.. and run it with your positive and negative PV wires to the charger/inverter.
Bond all of your metal structures... panel frames, chargers, inverters etc.. to the SINGLE EGC ground at the main panel.
Lightning mitigation is a whole other system involving air terminals higher than your array attached to ground rods.
Many install surge protection devices (SPD) and ground rods at the array so that when a huge EMF from a close strike in the air induces a huge voltage in the metal panel frames the SPD clamps shut and shunts that voltage to ground through the momentarily attached ground rod. After the strike the rod is not connected and you probably need a new SPD.

As long as it connects to the inverter grounding system it can be run alone, but it is simpler to have all run together.
Yes, except they were run underground with NO EGC to start with.. So I envisioned digging everything up..NOT my system, but the one that drove me to this forum. When my friend did his system, this verbiage in the manual caused him to not bond anything to the system ground.
WARNING: Because this inverter is non-isolated, only three types of PV modules are acceptable:
single crystalline, poly crystalline with class A-rated and CIGS modules. To avoid any malfunction,
do not connect any PV modules with possible current leakage to the inverter. For example,
grounded PV modules will cause current leakage to the inverter. When using CIGS modules, please
be sure NO grounding.

I did not know ANYTHING, not even what a CIGS module, but this is sort of a "don't bond" statement for many DIYers like me. This seems a "catch-all" statement? "PV modules with possible current leakage to the inverter"

SunGold Power
6.5KW BluePower SP6548
SOLAR INVERTER / CHARGER

Back