diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

Side question: how are people connecting battery cables? You can't use finely stranded cable or even compression lug on cable because it uses screw lugs for all power connections.

Connect the CTs
WHAT IN THE LITERAL ************!!!!!

I feel like a complete MORON. Good thing I didn't throw the box away. I had no idea that CT's came with it. Like an idiot I glanced at the content list in the manual but since I thought you only needed CT's for exporting, and I wasn't exporting, I #1 didn't need them and #2 for some reason thought it said optional under them in the contents list.

Found the box, hooked them up and like magic, all is right in the world. Now I have a question for you. How is it that someone from SS and EG4 couldn't see that and with a few pictures you found the issue?

I feel like a complete MORON. Good thing I didn't throw the box away. I had no idea that CT's came with it. Like an idiot I glanced at the content list in the manual but since I thought you only needed CT's for exporting, and I wasn't exporting, I #1 didn't need them and #2 for some reason thought it said optional under them in the contents list.

Found the box, hooked them up and like magic, all is right in the world. Now I have a question for you. How is it that someone from SS and EG4 couldn't see that and with a few pictures you found the issue?
I wanted to ask for everything at once, figured I'd look at the settings first then move on to the physical setup next.

FYSA @Markus_SignatureSolar

How have you not exported anything?! Wish I had an answer for you. I cant keep mine from charging battery. My unit is very grid preferred. My solar jumps all over with grid connected. Its stable with grid off.
If you mean export to the grid, I don't have an agreement with the power company. Last thing I want to do is give them power for a small price, have them mark it up and sell it to someone else. Might be a different story when I get to the point of having enough battery backup and large enough array to sustain my entire home. Until that point I'm going to be a bit selfish and keep it all to myself.

Keep an eye on the export...in my opinion anything under 1kWh a day should be fine...assuming you are also importing a similar amount. If exporting becomes an issue ask SS to install 1111 firmware.

Side question: how are people connecting battery cables? You can't use finely stranded cable or even compression lug on cable because it uses screw lugs for all power connections.
I did one set of battery cables with ferrules and one with just strands. I personally prefer the ferrules. Just use a torque device so you get a good bite on the ferrule. Ferrules that I use are thin and easily deformed under the pressure, while still keeping the strands contained.

Wondering, what size battery cables you have in your KPV connection ?

Any way, other having SS upgrade my firmware, to get this thing to stop exporting?
Disconnect grid connection...assuming you still have fast zero and disable grid sell.

As shown on your post here.

Screenshot_20230806_161816_Edge.jpg

Disconnect grid connection...assuming you still have fast zero and disable grid sell.

As shown on your post here.

View attachment 161384
I do. I was thinking of setting times ac charge at 100w during the day and see if that alleviates the issue.

General question - For the 18Kpv, is the LifFePower4 communication Hub required to communicate with EG4 LifePower4 batteries?

(already answered below - Thanks)​

Last edited:
Back