diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

Hmm the upgrade didn't seem to help one bit. It finished about 2 hours ago and its not using the batteries or solar at all. It did restart with the first file and after the second update I did a restart from the control panel to make sure that wasn't the issue. I think I have the settings to what you were suggesting. I have seen the inverter take a bit to start generating power but I'm not sure that patience is what I'm missing

1697060278623.png

1697060358847.png

Hmm the upgrade didn't seem to help one bit. It finished about 2 hours ago and its not using the batteries or solar at all. It did restart with the first file and after the second update I did a restart from the control panel to make sure that wasn't the issue. I think I have the settings to what you were suggesting. I have seen the inverter take a bit to start generating power but I'm not sure that patience is what I'm missing

View attachment 171904

View attachment 171905
Would you be ok with me logging into your inverter and checking everything? If so PM me it’s seriously just settings

I am getting a new system installed with the 18kPV without batteries. 30 400w REC panels.

Thinking if I should go DC coupled with Tigo Optimizers OR AC coupled with the enphase IQ8.

• If I go with the enphase microinverters, and there is a grid outage during the day with sun, will the inverter still stay powered on import solar?
  • I understand with the DC coupled system, the inverter will stay on and produce solar during a grid outage.

@Markus_EG4 , would you know this?

Last edited:
I'm doing research to possibly install the EG4 18Kpv at my house. In looking at the Whole Home Backup using a Feeder Tap wiring diagram in the 18Kpv user manual, I'm wondering, does it make sense to use a SPAN smart panel as the main breaker panel? I'm assuming SPAN panels include a 200 amp breaker. Is this allowed in the feeder tap setup? Would there be three 200 amp breakers in this scenario (main service breaker, feeder breaker and breaker in the SPAN panel)?

EG4 batteries are not on SPAN's list of compatible battery systems. Would I even get any of the smart capabilities of a SPAN Panel if I used EG4 batteries?

I'm doing research to possibly install the EG4 18Kpv at my house. In looking at the Whole Home Backup using a Feeder Tap wiring diagram in the 18Kpv user manual, I'm wondering, does it make sense to use a SPAN smart panel as the main breaker panel? I'm assuming SPAN panels include a 200 amp breaker. Is this allowed in the feeder tap setup? Would there be three 200 amp breakers in this scenario (main service breaker, feeder breaker and breaker in the SPAN panel)?

EG4 batteries are not on SPAN's list of compatible battery systems. Would I even get any of the smart capabilities of a SPAN Panel if I used EG4 batteries?
With out battery support battery support there are some feature limitations:

Feature limitations with non-integrated battery systems:​
The SPAN Home App does not support any off-grid features for​
these systems. Automatic load management during outages,​
backup time remaining estimations, and backup priority features​
are not supported with these systems. During an outage, you will​
need to toggle Circuits off via the Home App if you wish to power​
them off.​
Power and energy data in the SPAN Home App may be incorrect or​
incomplete depending on the installation method and the battery​
storage system. During an outage, SPAN will continue to report all​
energy coming into the home as grid power.​

While the diagram in the manual shows that there could be up to 3 breakers/disconnects, depending on the actual design, components used, distances between parts, and NEC version in use, a main breaker may not be needed in the main load panel and a main lug panel could be used, but in may not make sense to remove an existing breaker as part of a solar retrofit.

Called Sig Solar. EG4 is separate from Sig. Solar. Apparently, warranty questions refer to EG4. The phone number may not be valid, therefore I sent an email via EG4's site. Looking for a quicker reply.

Question is will warranty be void if I bypass knock outs provided on the bottom plate of the inverter's wire box and instead enter said box from the back? Looking to bring conduit nipples straight to the back, through a wall.

I've got particle board walls in the garage.
How large an area behind the 18kpv needs to be covered in cement board? Is it just the area behind the business end, the top side of it? GOD I hope so. I can work with that. If not, we're gonna have a bad Saturday morning.
I guess we got a bit too excited getting this and what's on the other side of the wall together and skipped right past the cement board.

IMG_20231018_212049111.jpg

How large an area behind the 18kpv needs to be covered in cement board? Is it just the area behind the business end, the top side of it? GOD I hope so. I can work with that. If not, we're gonna have a bad Saturday morning.
I guess we got a bit too excited getting this and what's on the other side of the wall together and skipped right past the cement board.

View attachment 172966
Personally I would drywall the walls and ceiling.

View attachment 172966

All of the lines that have to go in and out, I'm not sure I'd want it stuffed in a corner like that.

Thanks for the comments guys but I'm waiting on a reply from Markus or another qualified Sig Solar tech.
You guys do crack me up though.

Thanks for the comments guys but I'm waiting on a reply from Markus or another qualified Sig Solar tech.
You guys do crack me up though.
I would listen to Zapper he has prob the best advice to give. The reason for dry wall at least is in case of a failure. There are many pictures on this forum alone of fires caused by the inverter or improper wiring, PV not calculated properly over what the inverters rated for. This is more of a saftey thing then anything else. Most people use hardy board.

You can leave it on plywood if you want that’s totally up to you. It’s just more of what people have seen or experienced in the past that make them go that extra step.

I would listen to Zapper he has prob the best advice to give. The reason for dry wall at least is in case of a failure. There are many pictures on this forum alone of fires caused by the inverter or improper wiring, PV not calculated properly over what the inverters rated for. This is more of a saftey thing then anything else. Most people use hardy board.

You can leave it on plywood if you want that’s totally up to you. It’s just more of what people have seen or experienced in the past that make them go that extra step.
I'm confident in the wiring and in the pv calculations done. I'm confident the EG4 18kpv is not going to burn my house down. I don't have plans to drywall my garage but if there is a threat of fire so great that I should consider something like that, I might have to look into a small, inverter area specific fire suppressant system of some sort.
Last year I installed a high efficiency wood burning fireplace, an Osburn. It's a pretty major appliance. They were very strict and specific in regards to how it and it's components must be installed. Based on what I understand about that, I think the inverter needs this buffer behind the hot side only. I'm just wondering if there's anything more specific than the general info in the manual.
Is it just what I would consider the "hot side", the top 2/3rds
or the entire inverter
or 3" around the entire inverter
or a foot around it... I'm thinking it's the direct heat transfer from the hot side that's the concern and not the surrounding areas.

Back