diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

Coming back right away from being throttled by CV sounds like a really promising start and indicates the hybrid is using gentle frequency shift.

DC completely off isn’t super important except to help other people/and for yourself to understand the inverter a little better on the off chance that theory pays off when something weird happens later. As in what are the chances your DC completely fails at the same time as going off grid

Do you have Emporia or other CTs on everything? Low hanging way to be able to answer this kind of question pretty definitively, since it only has about 10-20 second reporting delay if you are on the appropriate UI and has 1 second resolution for recent data. That is reduced down to maybe 1 min after it rolls it up.
Only CT's are the ones that came with the 18kpv. Bare-bones beginner here that's mostly gotten lucky thus far.

I couldn't resist.

A continual improvement process, also often called a continuous improvement process, is an ongoing effort to improve products, services, or processes. These efforts can seek "incremental" improvement over time or "breakthrough" improvement all at once. Delivery processes are constantly evaluated and improved in the light of their efficiency, effectiveness and flexibility.
Seems like this is a fancy way of saying "Beta Testers"

I'm running firmware fAAB-1111. Works brilliantly for me. I had upgraded to a newer one a while back, but it was feeding back to the grid so Gilbert logged on and put me back to where I was. I'm wondering if there is anything I'm missing by not grabbing a new firmware now. Just hesitant since all works now. But I like the latest. Thoughts?

Seems like this is a fancy way of saying "Beta Testers"
Beta Testers?? Sort of like how our bodies are not really happy with the way they grew and are constantly aging out cells and replacing them with younger more vigorous versions until it decides it doesn't want to anymore. They a replacement model of our bodies appears and our bodies are sent for recycling.

Nothing wrong with software updates. In fact, any software that is never updated is abandoned.

[/QUOTE]
I'm running firmware fAAB-1111. Works brilliantly for me. I had upgraded to a newer one a while back, but it was feeding back to the grid so Gilbert logged on and put me back to where I was. I'm wondering if there is anything I'm missing by not grabbing a new firmware now. Just hesitant since all works now. But I like the latest. Thoughts?
The Off Grid Mode was added a few months ago. To the web and app interface.

Last edited:
I wonder if there is a thread on this forum that shows all the different firmware updates on the 18kpv and what they help in doing? going to eg4 web site don't show them all. I've seen here through some of these pages discussion but not a complete organized list, or missed it.

I wonder if there is a thread on this forum that shows all the different firmware updates on the 18kpv and what they help in doing? going to eg4 web site don't show them all. I've seen here through some of these pages discussion but not a complete organized list, or missed it.
FAAB-1616
2023-10-20
Changes log (Same as fAAB-1616)based on FAAB-1312;
1. Optimization on frequency shifting for AC couple function has been done .
2. Optimization on Zero export function : Stop frequently switching between PV charge +Grid on and PV+Battery grid on modes .
3. 3phase (208Vac/120Vac)parallel solution has been supported : 2 *208V 3phase parallel and 3 *208V 3phase parallel are supported .
4. Optimization on EPS transfer time has been done .
5. RSD active signal to BMS has been added : Battery needs to support the respond to RSD demand too .
6. The setting range of Generator rated power has been changed to 255kW max and 1kW min .
7. Logics optimization : Once "Fast zero export " function is enabled, " Grid sell back " function won't take effect .
8. Refined parameter adjustments for Battery control: OnGrid cut off VOLT form(40-52V)to(40-56V); AC Charge Start Volt from(38.5V-52V)to(40-57V); AC Charge End Volt from(48V-59V)to(42-59V); Gen Charge Start Volt from(40V-59V)to(40-57V);Gen Charge End Volt from(40V-59V)to(42-59V),ACCouple Start Volt from(start-59V)to(42-59V).
9. New Feature for LCD display: "Connect in xxxs " for the waiting time to on-grid mode will be showed at the top line of the home page.
10. Logics optimization on Generator dry contact control : Warming up the generator for 2 minutes before entering charge mode , and cooling down the generator for 2 minutes before cutting it off.
11. Optimization on voltage drop of EPS output while connecting or disconecting with heavy load has been done.
12. Logics adjustment : When forced discharge function is enabled , AC coupling power will prioritize to export to grid instead of going to AC charge mode.
13. Logics adjustment : When PV energy is weak ,to prevent switching PV grid on mode frequently with high frequency relay clicking noise , the time delay to enter another check changes to 2 seconds.
14. New Feature: System charge end SOC:0-255% ,VOLT :40-59V.
FAAB-1312
2023-08-16
Changes log (Same as fAAB-1312)based on FAAB-1010;
1. Optimized surge power and addressed voltage drop concerns when operating in EPS mode.
2. "PV sell to grid" function is supported ; Note that it's not yet available for parallel systems.
3. Refined parameter adjustments for LUMA Grid regulation.
4. With firmware version FAAB-1010, enabling the "run without grid" function won't activate generator dry contact logic.
5. Resolved EPS overload triggers from both total EPS voltage and split-phase voltage.
6. Improved control to prevent " BUS voltage High " issue when operating in AC couple mode.
7. Enabled RSD control synchronization in parallel systems.
8. Implemented "strict zero export "; When PV and battery energy suffice for loads, the inverter won't exchange energy with the utility grid.
9. Modified AC coupling input recognition, treating it as PV input with equivalent priority as integrated PV power.
10. In previous firmware
FAAB-1010
and with fast zero export active, the inverter won't switch to PV charge mode when battery energy is low.
11. Improved surge capacity : For power levels between Pn and 1.16Pn, 10 minutes; and between 1.16Pn and 1.3*Pn, 5 minutes.
12.Default settings for Lead Acid mode include a charge voltage of 55V and charge/discharge current limitation of 0.5C..
13. Enhanced generator quick start functionality.
FAAB-1010
2023-06-30
Changes log (Same as fAAB-1010/ eAAB-1010/EAAB-1010)based on FAAB-0D0E.
1. Enlarged the grid sell back power limitation ,if power limitation is high than 200% , then real limitation will be 1000% max.
2. Peak-shaving logic optimization.
3. Fortress battery protocol optimization :working in leadacid mode where is communication failure issue.
4. AC Charge according to SOC or VOlT could be supported in this firmware version .
5. Octopus charge function is supported.
6. To avoid relays clicking on and off frequently due to grid fluctuation, a return value has been added in this firmware version .
7. Hina battery protocol is supported in this firmware version.
8. Grid regulation changes :Hawaii changed to HECO , and added KIUC grid regulation.
9. Battery capacity could be showed in the LCD display .
10. Optimization on AC coupling function : AC charge and battery discharge will be seamless switching way .
11. Fans control logic optimization to reduce fans noise
FAAB-0D0E
2023-05-12
Changes log (Same as fAAB-0D0E/ eAAB-0D0E/EAAB-0D0E)based on FAAB-0C0D
1. Fixed the logic issue when PV energy is low , the inverter would fail to switch work mode from PV charge to battery discharge
2. Optimized charge logic of AC coupling input and maximize the use of AC coupling charge
3.Optimized the logic of charge limit in AC charge mode.
FAAB-0C0D
2023-04-13
Changes log (Same as fAAB-0C0D/ eAAB-0C0D/EAAB-0C0D)based on FAAB-0C0C
1. Adjusted Control logic of Aging test in Luxpower factory
FAAB-0C0C
2023-04-03
Changes log (Same as fAAB-0C0C/ eAAB-0C0C/EAAB-0C0C)based on FAAB-0B0B
FAAB-0B0B
2023-03-28
Changes log (Same as fAAB-0B0B/ eAAB-0B0B/EAAB-0B0B)based on FAAB-0A0A
1.CT direction could be corrected remotely and individually in 3phase parallel system.
2.Non battery shared mode ,current limitation will depend on individual battery banks
3.Fixed discharge configuration in LCD: in previous version , discharge power need to be configured twice to take effect and this bug has been fixed in new version.
4.Fixed discharge configuration in LCD: in previous version , discharge power need to be configured twice to take effect and this bug has been fixed in new version.
5.Modified Hawaii Grid reguration : QV curve

FAAB-1616
2023-10-20
Changes log (Same as fAAB-1616)based on FAAB-1312;
1. Optimization on frequency shifting for AC couple function has been done .
2. Optimization on Zero export function : Stop frequently switching between PV charge +Grid on and PV+Battery grid on modes .
3. 3phase (208Vac/120Vac)parallel solution has been supported : 2 *208V 3phase parallel and 3 *208V 3phase parallel are supported .
4. Optimization on EPS transfer time has been done .
5. RSD active signal to BMS has been added : Battery needs to support the respond to RSD demand too .
6. The setting range of Generator rated power has been changed to 255kW max and 1kW min .
7. Logics optimization : Once "Fast zero export " function is enabled, " Grid sell back " function won't take effect .
8. Refined parameter adjustments for Battery control: OnGrid cut off VOLT form(40-52V)to(40-56V); AC Charge Start Volt from(38.5V-52V)to(40-57V); AC Charge End Volt from(48V-59V)to(42-59V); Gen Charge Start Volt from(40V-59V)to(40-57V);Gen Charge End Volt from(40V-59V)to(42-59V),ACCouple Start Volt from(start-59V)to(42-59V).
9. New Feature for LCD display: "Connect in xxxs " for the waiting time to on-grid mode will be showed at the top line of the home page.
10. Logics optimization on Generator dry contact control : Warming up the generator for 2 minutes before entering charge mode , and cooling down the generator for 2 minutes before cutting it off.
11. Optimization on voltage drop of EPS output while connecting or disconecting with heavy load has been done.
12. Logics adjustment : When forced discharge function is enabled , AC coupling power will prioritize to export to grid instead of going to AC charge mode.
13. Logics adjustment : When PV energy is weak ,to prevent switching PV grid on mode frequently with high frequency relay clicking noise , the time delay to enter another check changes to 2 seconds.
14. New Feature: System charge end SOC:0-255% ,VOLT :40-59V.
FAAB-1312
2023-08-16
Changes log (Same as fAAB-1312)based on FAAB-1010;
1. Optimized surge power and addressed voltage drop concerns when operating in EPS mode.
2. "PV sell to grid" function is supported ; Note that it's not yet available for parallel systems.
3. Refined parameter adjustments for LUMA Grid regulation.
4. With firmware version FAAB-1010, enabling the "run without grid" function won't activate generator dry contact logic.
5. Resolved EPS overload triggers from both total EPS voltage and split-phase voltage.
6. Improved control to prevent " BUS voltage High " issue when operating in AC couple mode.
7. Enabled RSD control synchronization in parallel systems.
8. Implemented "strict zero export "; When PV and battery energy suffice for loads, the inverter won't exchange energy with the utility grid.
9. Modified AC coupling input recognition, treating it as PV input with equivalent priority as integrated PV power.
10. In previous firmware
FAAB-1010
and with fast zero export active, the inverter won't switch to PV charge mode when battery energy is low.
11. Improved surge capacity : For power levels between Pn and 1.16Pn, 10 minutes; and between 1.16Pn and 1.3*Pn, 5 minutes.
12.Default settings for Lead Acid mode include a charge voltage of 55V and charge/discharge current limitation of 0.5C..
13. Enhanced generator quick start functionality.
FAAB-1010
2023-06-30
Changes log (Same as fAAB-1010/ eAAB-1010/EAAB-1010)based on FAAB-0D0E.
1. Enlarged the grid sell back power limitation ,if power limitation is high than 200% , then real limitation will be 1000% max.
2. Peak-shaving logic optimization.
3. Fortress battery protocol optimization :working in leadacid mode where is communication failure issue.
4. AC Charge according to SOC or VOlT could be supported in this firmware version .
5. Octopus charge function is supported.
6. To avoid relays clicking on and off frequently due to grid fluctuation, a return value has been added in this firmware version .
7. Hina battery protocol is supported in this firmware version.
8. Grid regulation changes :Hawaii changed to HECO , and added KIUC grid regulation.
9. Battery capacity could be showed in the LCD display .
10. Optimization on AC coupling function : AC charge and battery discharge will be seamless switching way .
11. Fans control logic optimization to reduce fans noise
FAAB-0D0E
2023-05-12
Changes log (Same as fAAB-0D0E/ eAAB-0D0E/EAAB-0D0E)based on FAAB-0C0D
1. Fixed the logic issue when PV energy is low , the inverter would fail to switch work mode from PV charge to battery discharge
2. Optimized charge logic of AC coupling input and maximize the use of AC coupling charge
3.Optimized the logic of charge limit in AC charge mode.
FAAB-0C0D
2023-04-13
Changes log (Same as fAAB-0C0D/ eAAB-0C0D/EAAB-0C0D)based on FAAB-0C0C
FAAB-0C0C
2023-04-03
Changes log (Same as fAAB-0C0C/ eAAB-0C0C/EAAB-0C0C)based on FAAB-0B0B
FAAB-0B0B
2023-03-28
Changes log (Same as fAAB-0B0B/ eAAB-0B0B/EAAB-0B0B)based on FAAB-0A0A
1.CT direction could be corrected remotely and individually in 3phase parallel system.
2.Non battery shared mode ,current limitation will depend on individual battery banks
3.Fixed discharge configuration in LCD: in previous version , discharge power need to be configured twice to take effect and this bug has been fixed in new version.
4.Fixed discharge configuration in LCD: in previous version , discharge power need to be configured twice to take effect and this bug has been fixed in new version.
5.Modified Hawaii Grid reguration : QV curve
You go over the top with helping in questions, thank you. Al though, I don't have any major issue, was just trying to review to see if there was any tweaking upgrade but don't see mine here. FAAB-OEOE

You go over the top with helping in questions, thank you. Al though, I don't have any major issue, was just trying to review to see if there was any tweaking upgrade but don't see mine here. FAAB-OEOE
Yours appears to be one step prior to 1010

Yours appears to be one step prior to 1010
I was asked prior to the update if I was off grid only, as I am. No wires hooked to grid port. Was hoping at some point their might be another upgrade for my situating regarding voltage equalization between l1 and l2 during high surge starting, could also be related to voltage drop as fixed in version 1312. I'm happy not to change any thing unless the surge update installed has been upgraded for off grid use.

I think 0E0E was what they were shipped with from the factory and you really should update from that, it had a lot of issues.
I don't remember what mine came with but I don't think your correct. Mine wouldn't even crank over my belt driven compressor or start my dust collector before. After it does but not the 2 stage 5hp Quincy belt driven compressor, although it will crank it over now.

When I try to start it, it cranks it over but just not fast enough and all the lights flicker when it's cranking, so I think there is a voltage drop. I just switch to grid when needed, starts right up. I can live with that. Was just wondering if an up date had came out to address voltage drop during high surge being off grid.

I wonder if any one else has tried using a generator or another off grid inverter into the grid or gen ports to boost surge capability while off grid?
making the 18kpv think it's grid sharing or if that is feasible.

I wonder if any one else has tried using a generator or another off grid inverter into the grid or gen ports to boost surge capability while off grid?
making the 18kpv think it's grid sharing or if that is feasible.
Thats an interesting idea. I've got a single xw+. I'm going to have left over after install. it might be worth while to tie it to the grid in and use for surge somehow?

I know the xw has the ability to turn on a generator if the load is more than a user set amount. I wonder if something could be added to the lux firmware for similar offgrid systems.

Hey there! Curious about the configuration for smart load when you parallel / stack EG4 18k units. As in, if you have two units in parallel now you have two smart load ports. Do you only use one of the units for wiring or can each unit be configured separately? IE: unit A has X parameters and outputs to R wiring while unit B has Y parameters and outputs to T wiring?

Just for info, Did some welding Saturday with the 18 KPV. Have a Miller 252 set at 3/16 for 2 steel pates at 1/8" welding to 3/16 plate repair of skid steer attachment .( settings 178 h / 250 F ) Been off grid a few month now and dreaded turning on the grid to the shop so I thought I"d give it a try. I was amassed to say the least. The heat was high enough to burn through if not moving along. There was no flicker with the lighting. This is off grid. You would not have been able to tell the diff from being on the grid. Was welding for approx 1/2 hour. dropped SOC about 10% on my 9 battery bank. This was done at night and no grid help.

In relation to grid help, I've been off grid for nearly a week. Shut it down at the 200a disconnect. Now, we're not getting much sun.
Typically, the batteries (6 - lifepower4) draw down to the low-mid 80% range by morning and by 10am, they're at 100%. Yesterday was cloudy but the panels did produce close to what we used. Still, they're down to 70% this morning and we've got another 2 days of clouds and rain, so there's a good chance I'll need the grid.
Can I switch the 200a disconnect back on without doing anything else, or do I need to shut down something/everything prior to???

Last edited:
Back