diy solar

diy solar

EG4 3K Understanding Output

Rafagus

I have 2 EG4 3K controllers setup in 120/240 mode.
I think:
Each leg of the output, load, is capable of handling 3,000 watts.
My Emporia monitor has one clip circling one leg of what's coming into my critical load panel from the controllers. Emporia takes this reading and multiplies it times 2 because it's 240 and has two legs.
As long as I keep my load under 6,000 watts I should be okay. Assuming the entire load is 240 and never more than 3,000 watts per leg.

Is my thinking correct? Thanks!

I have 2 EG4 3K controllers setup in 120/240 mode.
I think:
Each leg of the output, load, is capable of handling 3,000 watts.
My Emporia monitor has one clip circling one leg of what's coming into my critical load panel from the controllers. Emporia takes this reading and multiplies it times 2 because it's 240 and has two legs.
As long as I keep my load under 6,000 watts I should be okay. Assuming the entire load is 240 and never more than 3,000 watts per leg.

Is my thinking correct? Thanks!
If I understand correctly, the Emporia is only looking at one leg of the split phase. That means it can only monitor the loads on that leg.
If the emporia is multiplying by two then if it is showing 6000W, it is only telling you that one leg is at 3000W and tells you nothing about the other leg. It could go to 4000W and pop a breaker but the emporia would never see it.

The OP was qualified by saying the entire load is 240V so there wouldn't be any imbalance. I'm monitoring a 4 ton Air Conditioning Condenser with 1 Emporia CT multiplied by 2, likewise with a 240V dual oven in the kitchen.

Back