diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000EX-48HV Noise level?

PjD

Hi, newbie here, been lurking a while though…
I have a EG4 6000EX-48HV (latest firmware installed today) hooked up to two EG4 LL version 2 batteries and four Renogy RND-100D solar panels wired in series.
I use a Chargeverter to keep batteries charged also, I don’t turn it on unless they get down low.
Everything is working good and sounds right with no PV input, it hardly makes any noise.
When I turn on the PV the inverter gets considerably louder and humming, is this normal? Power input and output seems fine, no errors or beeping.
What are your thoughts?
Pictures attached for reference.
Thank you for your input.

Attachments

• IMG_5952.jpeg
    IMG_5952.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5955.jpeg
    IMG_5955.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5951.png
    IMG_5951.png
    441.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5949.jpeg
    IMG_5949.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5764.jpeg
    IMG_5764.jpeg
    330.1 KB · Views: 16
I have EG4-6500s, so not an exact comparison but the fan noise on mine runs about 22-26 dB above the quiet room when it is taking 6kW from the panels. I only have panels input to one inverter and don't have measurements when I had both inverters receiving PV input. All in all, it is pretty loud.

My pair of 6000exs sounds like a jet engine as the PV input kw’s increase. When cloud covers, it quiets down a bit. Mine also hum and buzz.

My 6000ex is quieter than I expected from reading this thread and others, but the most I've fed it is 2700 watts, and most it's supplied is 2600 watts.

Hi, newbie here, been lurking a while though…
I have a EG4 6000EX-48HV (latest firmware installed today) hooked up to two EG4 LL version 2 batteries and four Renogy RND-100D solar panels wired in series.
I use a Chargeverter to keep batteries charged also, I don’t turn it on unless they get down low.
Everything is working good and sounds right with no PV input, it hardly makes any noise.
When I turn on the PV the inverter gets considerably louder and humming, is this normal? Power input and output seems fine, no errors or beeping.
What are your thoughts?
Pictures attached for reference.
Thank you for your input.
Just added 3 more Lifepower4 batteries to my system along with 5 more panels on the roof and the noise really ramped up today. I DID get an error code 69 which I saw on here means something about the batteries being full? I powered down the system and turned it back on and everything is acting "normal" now. Obviously adding new batteries to an existing system comes with its own challenges but I did check voltages before adding them and they were within a volt so I figured it was good to go. The woman at signature solar said it can sometimes take the bms a couple weeks to get acquainted with the new batteries. She had me change some voltage settings "17,18,19" and everything is working fine.

I was hoping the 6000EX was somehow quieter than its cousin the LVX6048, but sadly it is not. Still scratching my head on the logic of pulling hot air down through the unit and out the bottom. Not sure if Voltronic was trying to keep the transformer cool, or what, but it doesn't seem to make sense to try to force hot air to go down instead of just helping it go up.

Here is what the inside looks like and what appears to be the air flow. It would work better if the transformer wasn't smack dap in the middle of the air flow path. (try to ignore the burned-out negative bus bar :( )

Attachments

• IMG_8009.jpg
    IMG_8009.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 8
Back