diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 car charging problems

pproducts

I have been having a problem with 2 EG4 6500 set up in split phase.
They have been working great except for 1 problem.
When I am charging my car and the sun goes behind a cloud my charger will throw an error and stop charging.
I have tried both 220 volt chargers and 120 volt charges and they all do the same thing.
This only happens when it is a cloudy day. If I disconnect the solar charger everything works fine.
Has anybody else had this problem?

Greg

They don't tell you actual error code they just have a red light that turns on to show you that there is a problem.
I have to unplug them to get them started again.

Edit: sorry, I thought you were referencing the inverters throwing an error, not your car charger. Guess I'm just so used to seeing issues with the 6500s...

Do you have batteries or grid hooked up to the inverters? Do the inverters show any voltage drop?

That's odd, usually when a fault happens a code is displayed on the screen so you can reference it in the manual.

Do the inverters alarm when this happens? Will they automatically start charging again if left for a period of time or have you always just manually reset the inverters?
The inverters do not show any alarm. I usually don't reset the inverters; I am resetting the car chargers to get them going again. I can usually see in solar assistant the spike in voltage when the solar panels come out from behind the cloud is the same time the car charger alerts me there is a problem. All other graphs in solar assistant look normal. I have seen this happen first thing in the morning when the panels are first hitting the sun and some times in the evenings when the sun is going down.

Tesla mobile charger? If so then the light pattern tells you the error code.

Edit: sorry, I thought you were referencing the inverters throwing an error, not your car charger. Guess I'm just so used to seeing issues with the 6500s...

Do you have batteries or grid hooked up to the inverters? Do the inverters show any voltage drop?
Both batterys and grid are hooked up to the inverters.
It does not show a voltage drop in solar assistant. I wish solar assistant would show the output frequency so I could check that.
The chargers are for chevy bolt and I also have a Walbox charger.
I also have another Growatt system that has six 3000 watt inverters in split phase that work normally with the chargers.
The Growatt inverters work at a much lower voltage from the panels and I'm thinking it has something to do with the high voltage on the EG4 inverters.

It almost sounds like my UPSs when I was running my 6500. When the sun would go behind clouds the UPS would click and switch to battery mode for a second and then switch back to line mode. I would imagine it had to do with unstable voltage or frequency.

Is this system dedicated just to charging your car or are other things connected as well?

It almost sounds like my UPSs when I was running my 6500. When the sun would go behind clouds the UPS would click and switch to battery mode for a second and then switch back to line mode. I would imagine it had to do with unstable voltage or frequency.

Is this system dedicated just to charging your car or are other things connected as well?

It is for a garage so the only thing I have connected is an air conditioner and a RV so I have not noticed any other problems.

use MQTT broker and pump the data real time from Solar Assistant into Home Assistant. You can graph it from there for AC In and AC Out. When on inverter I get a clear 120v on AC OUT. When on grid passthrough you can see it's higher but fine.
1696516561851.png

Last edited:
use MQTT broker and pump the data real time from Solar Assistant into Home Assistant. You can graph it from there for AC In and AC Out. When on inverter I get a clear 120v on AC OUT. When on grid passthrough you can see it's higher but fine.
View attachment 170886
I don't have Home Assistant. Also Solar Assistant has a graph for the voltage. I was needing to take a look at the output frequency. Is it available in Home Assistant?

I got tired of flipping between the tabs of Solar Assistant to see what my system was up to so I went the Home Assistant route last week and couldn't be happier. Finally can have everything on just one screen and also learned that there is much more data to see from the inverter than Solar Assistant displays.

These are the same issues mine had. They didn’t work well together in split phase, especially during pv ramp up in the morning. My SPD’s on my garage door would almost always fault out every morning then reset after a 5 min delay. Voltage or frequency exceeded its limits. Installing Schneider XW Pro now.

I got tired of flipping between the tabs of Solar Assistant to see what my system was up to so I went the Home Assistant route last week and couldn't be happier. Finally can have everything on just one screen and also learned that there is much more data to see from the inverter than Solar Assistant displays.
It really is amazing. The best part is that all data entities are saved. You may not need that data now but it sure is useful to have it when you do. The automation is great. For example have an integration with open weather and if SOC is below X and forecast shows Y for bad weather, turn on grid charging.

These are the same issues mine had. They didn’t work well together in split phase, especially during pv ramp up in the morning. My SPD’s on my garage door would almost always fault out every morning then reset after a 5 min delay. Voltage or frequency exceeded its limits. Installing Schneider XW Pro now.
I have tried both split phase and single phase and get the same problem. I am really surprised they keep selling these when they have major problems. I could do the upgrade they are offering but if they are currently still selling these with problems then how do I know the more expensive unit won't have the same problems. I am surprised Will still has them listed on his website.

Back