diy solar

diy solar

Think I have a bad EG4 6000XP

I switched the PV wires to another inverter (I have 4 in parallel ) that is working fine, and suddenly got the code 19 result again. So something about this one PV string is making whatever inverter it is attached to trigger a code 19. With the wires disconnected from the inverter, but hot, a volt meter set to DC reads 302v, I did check +/- and they are not reversed.
I would now bypass each panel in tern and see if a single panel is causing this, due to a possible leak from damage.
Also are each group of panels grounded to each other and check those grounds again.

I switched the PV wires to another inverter (I have 4 in parallel ) that is working fine, and suddenly got the code 19 result again. So something about this one PV string is making whatever inverter it is attached to trigger a code 19. With the wires disconnected from the inverter, but hot, a volt meter set to DC reads 302v, I did check +/- and they are not reversed. Have you ever seen such strange behavior? I also checked DC readings for the battery cables (57.4v), and AC load outputs (120v for both L1 & L2).
Well that seems like something to celebrate. At least you confirmed you DON'T have a bad 6000XP 😉

I wouldn’t worry too much - these units have been very popular and there have been very few reports of defective units. Odds are yours will be fine 😎
Does this happen more often with AC charging from utility power? Or AC charging from a 240v gas generator? Or AC charging from a 120V gas generator? And when it happens with PV array only, is it because of imbalances coming from different amp reading coming in on different MPPTs which is something I'd have in the springtime, if I choose to buy a 6000XP and a new string of PV panels, so I'm following intently, thanks.

I switched the PV wires to another inverter (I have 4 in parallel ) that is working fine, and suddenly got the code 19 result again. So something about this one PV string is making whatever inverter it is attached to trigger a code 19. With the wires disconnected from the inverter, but hot, a volt meter set to DC reads 302v, I did check +/- and they are not reversed. Have you ever seen such strange behavior? I also checked DC readings for the battery cables (57.4v), and AC load outputs (120v for both L1 & L2).
Check PV voltage from positive to ground and negative to ground.
You could have a short somewhere on that circuit.

Totally agree with that statement!
Is it possible for you to upload a photo of your combiner box showing connections from PV into breakers and fuses? If not, is your breaker a single or double pole? What is the voltage rating of the breaker and amps at the combiner box?
If the breaker is OFF for 1 array in question, can you directly measure with a meter the voltage of the +/- incoming to the breaker as well as outgoing from the breaker? Can you measure, with the breaker OFF, on both sides of the breaker (in and out) the voltage from the PV+ to the ground wire in the combiner box as well as the voltage from the PV- to the ground.
Can you also check for continuity with the ohm meter scale and make certain no shorts anywhere at combiner box.

Finally, I would expect the voltage on the output side of the breaker, with breaker OFF to be 0 volts and on the input side to be elevated if in sunlight.

Is there any lightening arrestor connected at combiner box and how is it connected and where too?

Is the output of the combiner box going to a DC disconnect, if so where located and what kind?

Are there any inline fuses for PV+ and PV- between array and inverter input?

I recently spent a lot of time working on E019 issue.

Would you be able to DM me the station name and the serial number of the inverter so that I can investigate further. Additionally, could you also post some photos showing how the inverters are installed, particularly focusing on the wiring?
Sorry Jared only seeing this now. The errors all seemed to be resolved as soon as I successfully upgraded the firmware on my eg4 life pro batteries . And changed from lead acid to lithium on setting number 3 in the 6000xp. Thank you for reaching out . Now if only we could get a few sunny days in a row here in Los Angeles ,

What im getting at is any time I have seen a inverter throwing random errors or faults especially bus overvoltage. 99% of the time they brought their Pv ground to the inverter instead of their ground rod for the house.
Shouldn't all grounds be bonded into a single system with multiple rods to avoid ground loops? Would my understanding actually cause an issue because grounding solar mounts are an exception to the rule that I am unaware of?

My understanding is that if you have multiple rods, all of them have to be tied together. Doing this will make them all act as they were only one.

Back