diy solar

diy solar

Think I have a bad EG4 6000XP

Sjr

I have just replaced my older EG4 6500’s for two new shiny EG4 6000XP’s.
So many improvements from its predecessor, alas one inverter has been doggy from the start. I get numerous errors that seemed to be resolved by the doing the turn off and on thing . Errors range from 4 , 19, 29, . I began to think there maybe a problem with this inverter, error 29 refers to sync trigger signal lost in parallel , Error 19 refers to Bus voltage to high, my solar panels are no where near the 480 VDC max range .But turning the inverter off. Stop that error completely.
Then a different error will at first show as an unhappy smiley face then disappear. And then show a red light and a fault with no error code at all.
I have had this running for a month, but the. I have started getting these random errors, that one would think that’s not good , and then they disappear .
The other inverter is perfect .
After my last experience I had hoped for a smoother install testing period .
Anyway if anybody else has experienced these issues let me know.

Here is what I have observed about E19 error. In my system is appears when AC charging of the batteries occurs. It may clear after 4-5 minutes or not. and it may be related to how small or large the load is at that time. While the fault is present, PV drops to zero output and system runs off grid.

It is not related to the PV string voltages.

You can maybe induce it by setting a time to start AC charging like at 3 PM and off at 3:30 PM and see what happens?

Or you can maybe just disable AC charging while the fault is present and see if it clears up in like 5-10 minutes.

This is being worked on by Lux engineers.

I have 4 of the 6000xp's in parallel each with eight 455 watt panels in series and 1,000 amp busbars connecting two 6-pack racks of eg4 Lifepower4 battery banks. Even when only 300v are coming in on average with each unit, one inverter keeps making a loud click/pop sound and giving me a code 19. If I turn off the PV nob the error goes away and the inverter is happy. Turn the PV nob on, then it happens again. I checked the wires with a volt meeting while the error is present, was 302v, +/- correct. WTF!!! :-(
The other three inverters are working perfectly fine. This inverter is number three of four so it's dip switches are both set down. All the inverters are set to run in parallel, and set to lithium ion for the batteries.

I have 4 of the 6000xp's in parallel each with eight 455 watt panels in series and 1,000 amp busbars connecting two 6-pack racks of eg4 Lifepower4 battery banks. Even when only 300v are coming in on average with each unit, one inverter keeps making a loud click/pop sound and giving me a code 19. If I turn off the PV nob the error goes away and the inverter is happy. Turn the PV nob on, then it happens again. I checked the wires with a volt meeting while the error is present, was 302v, +/- correct. WTF!!! :-(
The other three inverters are working perfectly fine. This inverter is number three of four so it's dip switches are both set down. All the inverters are set to run in parallel, and set to lithium ion for the batteries.
Can you switch the array with a different unit. To see if the problem moves with the array?

I just bought a 6000xp and in the process of wiring and installing. Definitely, these kind of random errors are not making me feel confident. If any resolution is found please advise for us starting with this inverter.

I just bought a 6000xp and in the process of wiring and installing. Definitely, these kind of random errors are not making me feel confident. If any resolution is found please advise for us starting with this inverter.
I wouldn’t worry too much - these units have been very popular and there have been very few reports of defective units. Odds are yours will be fine 😎

So many improvements from its predecessor, alas one inverter has been doggy from the start. I get numerous errors that seemed to be resolved by the doing the turn off and on thing . Errors range from 4 , 19, 29, . I began to think there maybe a problem with this inverter, error 29 refers to sync trigger signal lost in parallel , Error 19 refers to Bus voltage to high, my solar panels are no where near the 480 VDC max range .But turning the inverter off. Stop that error completely.
Then a different error will at first show as an unhappy smiley face then disappear. And then show a red light and a fault with no error code at all.
I have had this running for a month, but the. I have started getting these random errors, that one would think that’s not good , and then they disappear .
Do you have your PV ground landed at the Inverter?

I'm not the OP but could you further elaborate for my install?
The PV frames and any metal racking needs to be bonded together. And an EGC (Equipment Grounding Conductor) is ran with the PV circuit conductors back to the grounding system.
This can be to the AIO grounding terminal or a main ground bar located for all of the equipment.

What im getting at is any time I have seen a inverter throwing random errors or faults especially bus overvoltage. 99% of the time they brought their Pv ground to the inverter instead of their ground rod for the house.

Would you be able to DM me the station name and the serial number of the inverter so that I can investigate further. Additionally, could you also post some photos showing how the inverters are installed, particularly focusing on the wiring?

Would you be able to verify whether it's Error 19 or Warning 19? However, since the error occurs with PV applied, it sounds like it's related to E019. Some troubleshooting steps would include switching the input on the MPPT to the second one (if available) and ensuring that the MPPT isn't cross-polarized. If these steps don't help, please feel free to DM me.

Would you be able to verify whether it's Error 19 or Warning 19? However, since the error occurs with PV applied, it sounds like it's related to E019. Some troubleshooting steps would include switching the input on the MPPT to the second one (if available) and ensuring that the MPPT isn't cross-polarized. If these steps don't help, please feel free to DM me.
It is E019, only an issue when PV is on for this inverter.
Volt meter shows +/- is correct.
Will switch PV wires to another and see what happens. Thank you.

Do you have your PV ground landed at the Inverter?
What im getting at is any time I have seen a inverter throwing random errors or faults especially bus overvoltage. 99% of the time they brought their Pv ground to the inverter instead of their ground rod for the house.
So, if I correctly understand the logic about this is even though the ground system is shared, if for some reason the pv ground is brought to the inverter ground first instead of the ground rod, the inverter would be the first to see any "discharge" and then channel through to the rod causing errors to happen. Is this the correct assessment?

Last edited:

So, if I correctly understand the logic about this is even though the ground system is shared, if for some reason the pv ground is brought to the inverter ground first instead of the ground rod, the inverter would be the first to see any "discharge" first and then channel through to the rod causing errors to happen. Is this the correct assessment?
I’m confused by this too - I thought this was the way it’s supposed to be done.

Would that have to do with why people (that use certain inverters) see phantom power on their PV at night?

This should not make any difference. As long as the inverter is properly grounded.

Back