diy solar

diy solar

Think I have a bad EG4 6000XP

I thought the same thing but disconnecting it from the inverter has always worked. Im talking from many experiences not just 1 case
That's very odd. There must be some other common factor.
If the inverter isn't properly grounded. Then it would make a difference in where the PV grounding was connected. But moving it doesn't fix the problem, it just hides it.

That's very odd. There must be some other common factor.
If the inverter isn't properly grounded. Then it would make a difference in where the PV grounding was connected. But moving it doesn't fix the problem, it just hides it.
What problem would that be. The only thing I can think of is noise on the inverter or other conductors. I come from the industrial field and we never mix ac and dc grounds. Every time that’s been done the plant was down due to noise or other anomalies.

Just trying to get your perspective

What problem would that be. The only thing I can think of is noise on the inverter or other conductors. I come from the industrial field and we never mix ac and dc grounds. Every time that’s been done the plant was down due to noise or other anomalies.

We’re talking about just the ground wire from the panel frames are we not? I wouldn’t think of that as AC nor DC, but rather just an equipment ground…

I don't know without digging into each situation.
With current PV systems, there aren't any "DC" grounds. The DC systems are isolated. It's all AC safety grounding.
So if connecting an EGC to one place vs another creates a problem. the issue would be improper grounding of some part of the system.

I don't know without digging into each situation.
With current PV systems, there aren't any "DC" grounds. The DC systems are isolated. It's all AC safety grounding.
So if connecting an EGC to one place vs another creates a problem. the issue would be improper grounding of some part of the system.
Not disagreeing need more case studies done on this with more information

It’s in the code to have one at the array.

I think a lot of the code pertaining to residential or solar in general is still being figured out and it’s going to keep changing. Especially the grounding it never stops being changed.

NEC 690.47(C)(7) requires that this conductor be sized to meet 250.66 for the AC side as well as 250.166 for the DC side. Both sections indicate that the smallest allowable grounding electrode conductor is #8 AWG copper. The grounding electrode conductor must also be installed according to NEC 250.64. For systems physically separate from the building, such as a pole or ground mounted array, a separate ground rod (bonded to existing grounding electrode conductor) is also required. The use of an additional ground rod is also recommended for installations where chances of lightning strike are high.

2017 NEC Code

Current code in Wisconsin, link above.

In the 2017 NEC®, the grounding electrode system requirements have been made much easier to follow. Now, it is clear that a building or structure “supporting” a PV array shall have a grounding electrode system installed in accordance with Part III of Article 250. The additional auxiliary grounding electrode previously required in 690.47(D) has been relocated to 690.47(B) and is now “permitted” rather than required.

I switched the PV wires to another inverter (I have 4 in parallel ) that is working fine, and suddenly got the code 19 result again. So something about this one PV string is making whatever inverter it is attached to trigger a code 19. With the wires disconnected from the inverter, but hot, a volt meter set to DC reads 302v, I did check +/- and they are not reversed. Have you ever seen such strange behavior? I also checked DC readings for the battery cables (57.4v), and AC load outputs (120v for both L1 & L2).

Back