diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX Light Strobe, RMA's, LV6548's installed and replacement 6500EX's

I don't blame you. 2.5 hours is impressive. I'd be half a day at least.

If you take it all out one day and then put it back in the next day, it goes much faster. :ROFLMAO:

It would have been quicker if I hadn't moved the LV6548's into storage. I had it down how to split the array, that made it easy.

The worst part is getting 4AWG into the small terminals of the LV6548 that were made for 6AWG.

I'm not swapping anything until I see these 18k go through some real world use and then it's going to have to be very positive results. these 6548s work pretty damn well.

I'm not certain you gain much with the 18Kw unit. Inverting power not much higher, PV is about the same as you never hit the max without just the right panels. I'd go with 4 LV6548's instead of the 18Kw unit.

On a positive note, I had my first megawatt month. Gonna be over 1200w load for May. Feels pretty good. Probably need to think about moving something else to solar. I'm leaning towards the heat pump for the upstairs. But I'll have to make room in the breaker panel. Nothing is ever easy. ?
I did get the Pioneer heat pump up and running over the weekend. Sips the watts. Huge difference overnight compared to the window air conditioner.

Last edited:
I did the Pioneer heat pump up and running over the weekend. Sips the watts. Huge difference overnight compared to the window air conditioner.
How many watts on lowest setting? I am considering getting this one to replace window AC:

I always run the fan at high speed as I'm cooling the whole downstairs. 300 to 400W, maybe less. I should pay more attention. I know the window unit takes over 1Kw.

I have a wall mounted unit.
Thats about what mine show on the ones with the inverter in them. My older non inverter ones run 800watts or more but the inverter ones just sip power. The lowest I have seen with the compressor going was 100watts but 300 to 400 is the norm.

The worst part is getting 4AWG into the small terminals of the LV6548 that were made for 6AWG.
I agree. That may be my second complaint beyond the 250v limit - those terminals are a pain.
I'm not certain you gain much with the 18Kw unit. Inverting power not much higher, PV is about the same as you never hit the max without just the right panels. I'd go with 4 LV6548's instead of the 18Kw unit.
Agreed that you don't gain much at all with just one. If I do it I will go with two of the 18kpv. That would essentially double almost everything capacity wise and give me pretty good redundancy. It's an expensive upgrade but it may be worth it to me. I've even considered maybe having two but turning one off during the spring and fall when I likely wouldn't need it. Basically alternate which inverter I'm using. May not be worth it though.
I did the Pioneer heat pump up and running over the weekend. Sips the watts. Huge difference overnight compared to the window air conditioner.
Those things are amazing, aren't they? I'm running a combined total of 6 tons of AC on solar now including the one in the garage along with all the other stuff including 4 freezers, two fridges, septic system pump and compressor, microwave, lights and almost all the outlets and the highest peak AC load I've seen so far is around 5kw. I don't have any hard numbers but I'm absolutely certain when I was running the old LuxAire 14 SEER units it was way higher.

On a side note, I changed one of the Advanced settings in SA yesterday and today I'm seeing 11.2kw of production vs 10kw for the first time ever. In Config under Advanced the Max Solar PV Power setting default is 5000. I changed that to 6500. The limit on the LV6548 is 8000 so I may bump it up again and see what happens. It's a little weird because the change didn't happen yesterday but after a day it seemed to kick in. Makes me wonder if there is some kind of delayed reaction to the change within the inverter itself. Whatever the case, I'm getting more sun juice so I'm happy.

I'm sticking close to that through 14/2, glows a little at night but no biggy !!!!
I should have clarified - 10 awg carrying 17a at around 120 to 150 ft, depending on the string of panels. I think that's close to max but maybe a little over.

Glowing at night - I'm gonna try to avoid that! Other than scorpions and horn worms when I hit them with a black light.

A few videos, I had thought maybe I had aliasing causing the distortion with the LV6548 waveforms on a longer time sweep, however I've now captured the waveform of the LV6548 with PV input. It was not aliasing.

Here is the MPP Solar LV6548 output power with PV input this morning.

Compare that to the EG4 6500EX with PV input.

Back