diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500ex PV input limitation

scottmag

I've got a single 6500ex with 6kw of pv feeding into it. I'd like to max out the input of the 6500ex, which is stated as 8kw. What would happen I installed closer to 9kw of panels (because I have extra laying around)? Would it cause problems with the 6500ex or would the 6500ex just throttle the input down to 8kw? My thinking is, if I add extra panels above the stated limit, on days when there's clouds I'll have "access" to more because of the oversized panel strings.

Am I on the right track or should I definitely not install more than a total of 8kw of panels?

8kW is the max it can utilize. You can over-panel a little bit and it will throttle down to the 8kW.

Make sure you don't go over the Voc. That's a hard limit. You can go over in current but there is a limit before even that could start causing damage. I can't recall what that is though.

Ok thanks that really helps. So the system also has a 500voc limit. Does that mean 500voc per input (it has two pv inputs) or is that 500voc total (so 250voc per input)? If it's 250voc per input, I need to do a serious reconfiguring of my panels. They are currently on two strings of 10 panels each, 300w panels each at 40.1voc....

Each input is maxed at 4kW each within the constraints of 500v and 18a. Actual working voltage is 90-450v but it really doesn't start till you get near 100-120v if I recall.

diy solar

diy solar
Back