diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX StandBy Mode PV Charging Question

senoird

So bought the 2 inverter with PDP combo SS has for sale. Got it installed and 1 string of 4 of the 305 Hyundai panels ran to PV1 input. Its going to be a week or 2 before I get the grid tie and sub panel part done. So in the mean tie I figured Id charge the batteries( 2 EG4 LP4 to start with) and check out the Solar Assistant while its doing that. My question is, if I put the inverters into standby mode (button on front panel), I understand that the PV will still charge, but at night when PV goes to nil will the inverters shutdown or just stay in standby running off battery power? Also is there a noticeable difference in idle consumption between standby and just on. I'm looking at around 80w per inverter now with them just sitting there doing nothing more than charging in "on" mode.

If memory serves me correctly, they essentially don’t want you using solar assistant with those inverters. Recent thread where it was claimed that solar assistant broke them, I can’t speak to the validity of that, but that was their position.

I think I also remember there being talk of it being due to using an orange pi rather than a raspberry pi, but again I’m going off of memory here.

I’d suggest reaching out and talking with them prior to doing so, it’d be a shame to lose one over it.

they essentially don’t want you using solar assistant with those inverters.
Your memory is correct...I started the thread. SS really doesn't recommend using Solar Assistant with their inverters. There is an alleged problem with the Orange Pi sending current to the inverter via USB which they say damages the communications board. They also don't like the ability SA provides for changing settings which, again, they allege can cause failures and thus RMA for inverters. Many other members disagree with these assertions.

I noticed my power consumption went from 90 Watts down to something a little less than that in standby, but I can’t remember exactly. My two typically consume 5-6kWh overnight when not in standby. Power hogs.

Last edited:
I dont think mine will consume that much.Just pushed the buttons and P2 cycled off. P1 is on but only showing the pv and battery icon and seems like fan ramped down,,maybe. Unfortunately my Fieldpiece meter only does uAmps for DC so cant check the draw on the battery leads to verify. Guess tomorrow morning will tell the tale.

So bought the 2 inverter with PDP combo SS has for sale. Got it installed and 1 string of 4 of the 305 Hyundai panels ran to PV1 input. Its going to be a week or 2 before I get the grid tie and sub panel part done. So in the mean tie I figured Id charge the batteries( 2 EG4 LP4 to start with) and check out the Solar Assistant while its doing that. My question is, if I put the inverters into standby mode (button on front panel), I understand that the PV will still charge, but at night when PV goes to nil will the inverters shutdown or just stay in standby running off battery power? Also is there a noticeable difference in idle consumption between standby and just on. I'm looking at around 80w per inverter now with them just sitting there doing nothing more than charging in "on" mode.
When PV goes away and your in “standby mode” everything will shut down. In the morning you’ll hear some clicking back and forth as the PV voltage starts to rise. Once it stabilizes, the inverter will remain on and charge your batteries.

Senoird did you get a chance to hook everything up? I’m trying to finalize an off grid design and this is key to me, too. I’m curious about the restart Adam mentions. If you are in standby with pv charging and then shuts down overnight does it come back to inverter-on state or come back on in inverter standby mode When pv voltage comes up? Also i’ve seen a lot of information on the forum about idle consumption with inverter on, have you measured idle consumption in standby mode? my design will be much like yours with probably around 1200 W of PV and 48v 100ah and so I won’t have a whole lot a battery capacity to deal with high idle or standby consumption rates! I sure hope that the EG4 aio will work for me!

Back