diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Chargeverter only works at 50%

DdJjFf

I have my chargeverter with proper pin out (as shown in the instructions), and showing 240volts both externally (via the outlet I wired) and internally (i opened up the chargeverter and measured it.) Running off a 5300watt Westinghouse 240v generator. I am following the start up instructions.

The problem I am having, is when I set the Amps to 100, it gives me 50amps (verified though amp meter)…. And when I set it to 80Amps, it automatically switches it to 40A… 30 gets 15…. And so on… there is no way I can get more than that?

HELP!

I have my chargeverter with proper pin out (as shown in the instructions), and showing 240volts both externally (via the outlet I wired) and internally (i opened up the chargeverter and measured it.) Running off a 5300watt Westinghouse 240v generator. I am following the start up instructions.

The problem I am having, is when I set the Amps to 100, it gives me 50amps (verified though amp meter)…. And when I set it to 80Amps, it automatically switches it to 40A… 30 gets 15…. And so on… there is no way I can get more than that?

HELP!
Found it…

Did you get the amperage issue sorted with the video? Just want to make sure so we can help out if need

My Chargeverter seems to only what to charge Battery at a max rate of 10-11 Amps at 56V. Any idea what may be the issue?

Background:
  • I purchased four of the 48V 100 Amp WP batteries. They were dead on arrival and the BMS needed to be revived with a chargeverter which worked at waking them up as expected.
  • Both lights inside seem to be lit up as referenced in the youtube video on this thread
  • Set chargeverter to 56v and 30amps (1,680 Watts)
    • I set unit to 30amps because I have it connected to 120v outlet and don't want to trip a breaker.
  • (See Image Below) Charger maintained output at 10-11amps even when I changed amp setting from 30amp to 80amp.
    • First Battery fully charged at this rate but it took hours and hours by charging at 54.46V and 10.8A (588 Watts)
Thanks for your help!

BONUS Question:
The Chargverter display also said it put 3.7kWh into the Battery but going from 0% to 100%, I would have expected to see something closer to 5.1kWh. Not sure if this is relevent but I plugged the chargeverter plugged into meter that's plugged into the wall. That meter in the picture below showed I pulled 6.6kWh from the grid.
Charging..png Chargeverter.jpg

Last edited:

My Chargeverter seems to only what to charge Battery at a max rate of 10-11 Amps at 56V. Any idea what may be the issue?

Background:
  • I purchased four of the 48V 100 Amp WP batteries. They were dead on arrival and the BMS needed to be revived with a chargeverter which worked at waking them up as expected.
  • Both lights inside seem to be lit up as referenced in the youtube video on this thread
  • Set chargeverter to 56v and 30amps (1,680 Watts)
    • I set unit to 30amps because I have it connected to 120v outlet and don't want to trip a breaker.
  • (See Image Below) Charger maintained output at 10-11amps even when I changed amp setting from 30amp to 80amp.
    • First Battery fully charged at this rate but it took hours and hours by charging at 54.46V and 10.8A (588 Watts)
Thanks for your help!

BONUS Question:
The Chargverter display also said it put 3.7kWh into the Battery but going from 0% to 100%, I would have expected to see something closer to 5.1kWh. Not sure if this is relevent but I the chargeverter plugged into meter that plugged into the wall and that meter showed I pulled 6.6kWh from the grid.
View attachment 185511 View attachment 185513
I would take a look at the BMS settings for the WP battery and see if there's a current limit set to 10amps.

As far as the power put into the battery, when the battery is shipped, the bms is probably "asleep" for lack of a better term. The battery wasn't at 0%. The battery was probably around 35% SOC, but it has to re-learn the SOC and that's done by performing a few charging cycles.

Thanks for the insight.
I see what you are saying with the SOC. I'll have to see over time what happens. I'm going to do a capacity test on it as well to double check.

Below is the BMS Parameters for the battery per the Spec Sheet. It should be able to charge at 100+Amps from what I see, so I'm still wondering if it is the Chargeverter that is throttling the current.
This morning I connected the chargeverter to battery #2 and it is still only charging at 11amps.

BMS.jpg@BenFromSignatureSolar

Thanks for the insight.
I see what you are saying with the SOC. I'll have to see over time what happens. I'm going to do a capacity test on it as well to double check.

Below is the BMS Parameters for the battery per the Spec Sheet. It should be able to charge at 100+Amps from what I see, so I'm still wondering if it is the Chargeverter that is throttling the current.
This morning I connected the chargeverter to battery #2 and it is still only charging at 11amps.

View attachment 185533@BenFromSignatureSolar
Those are just the protection features of the BMS. There could be an actual setting limiting the current. The chargeverter doesn't push current to the battery, the battery draws current from the chargeverter. Assuming the setting on the chargeverter actually took, the BMS must be limiting how much current can be pulled into the battery.

Those are just the protection features of the BMS. There could be an actual setting limiting the current. The chargeverter doesn't push current to the battery, the battery draws current from the chargeverter. Assuming the setting on the chargeverter actually took, the BMS must be limiting how much current can be pulled into the battery.
Yikes. If the BMS is limiting it I have no idea how that can be fixed. These batteries do not have a communication port.

Yikes. If the BMS is limiting it I have no idea how that can be fixed. These batteries have not communication port.
Your app image showed a "settings" section. Is that just settings for the app or is that settings for the BMS?

Hmm, doesn't make much sense then.

You mentioned that you purchased 4 of the batteries. Did you have the same experience with all 4?

Can you take a picture of the settings on the chargeverter?

Back