diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Chargeverter

The inverter can be modeled like this:

View attachment 139060

Notice that the Blue and the Brown wires are isolated from the case and the neutral is not used at all. Also note that the charging circuitry can take anything from 90-265V AC.

Personally, I would not try to make an adaptor if I wanted to run this on 120V. Instead, I would replace the plug.

View attachment 139061

It does not matter electrically, but notice that putting the blue wire to the neutral prong of the plug best follows the international standard.
This could use a standard 15A plug but the charger would have to be configured to limit the input to 15 Amp. However, I would seriously consider using a higher amperage plug. A 20 amp would still require limiting the charger but a 30A plug would allow the charger to operate at it's full 120V capability.
Can you make the plug in your diagram x,y,g,n reflect accurate colors on the left side. That way it's obvious for US based customers that black and red goto brown and blue for the 240v and black and white for the 120v.

Edit to add the X is considered primary black and Y is secondary red. Unless you are in Houston, TX...they do it backwards.

Too funny... I have a feeling he wanted you to map your connections to this drawing. :)

screenshot_20230304_142559_edge-jpg.139028

I’d like to know who, where, what, when, how you are using to make this ^ and all of the other pictures and diagrams in your awesome downloadable guides?

when I finally decide what I’m doing I’d like to be able to do this. Sadly I may have to resort to napkin diagrams, and taking a picture with my iPhone.

seriously your work is spectacular!

thanks for all,of the guides you’ve uploaded.

I agree, his work is excellent!!!!!
Absolutely! I’ve downloaded all his stuff. The grounding made easier stuff helped me out a lot.

and for real I emailed signature and told them he should get a CV. Lol.
or at least put his stuff in their manual which I found confusing Especially after Ben got the colors wrong.

Filterguy, I forgot to ask… you mentioned the blue neutral best followed international standards. I just did a brief google-fu and only the uk uses blue for a neutral.

what is/ where can I find this international standard?

I’d like to know who, where, what, when, how you are using to make this ^ and all of the other pictures and diagrams in your awesome downloadable guides?

when I finally decide what I’m doing I’d like to be able to do this. Sadly I may have to resort to napkin diagrams, and taking a picture with my iPhone.

seriously your work is spectacular!

thanks for all,of the guides you’ve uploaded.
I use PowerPoint. I have tried using more formal schematic drawing tools but I find that I can make clearer diagrams with PowerPoint.

I will often use the snipping tools that ships with Windows to snip a picture from the web and paste it into the drawing

Once I have the diagram I want there are a few ways to get it into the forum.

* At least in windows you can select all the elements in the PowerPoint drawing and then copy and past into the forum
* You can use the clipping tool to copy the image and past it into the forum
* You can save to PDF to upload to the forum

Note: I have not used it much but Google Slides works with the same file format as PowerPoint.

Filterguy, I forgot to ask… you mentioned the blue neutral best followed international standards. I just did a brief google-fu and only the uk uses blue for a neutral.

Google the IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission). I am 99% sure it is in there and it is used throughout UK and the EU.

Unfortunately, it is *a* standard but not world wide.

The nice thing about standards is that if you don't like a particular standard, you can just use a different one. ;)

Google the IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission). I am 99% sure it is in there and it is used throughout UK and the EU.
It's also now used for a lot of led lighting.
Sold here in the states. Because they use a wide voltage range. And are using isolated drivers.

It's also now used for a lot of led lighting.
Sold here in the states. Because they use a wide voltage range. And are using isolated drivers.
Yes. It has been found in appliances here in the states for quite a long time, but I am definitely seeing it more than I used to.

Too funny... I have a feeling he wanted you to map your connections to this drawing. :)
Just the way @FilterGuy did it. Except switch the x and y. X should be represented by black and y by red. But it works either way, just most plugs and receptacle are labeled with the letters x,y,n,g. And somebody is going to say, "I'm confused" because their house has a pre-wired receptacle with black on X and not Y as shown.

Screenshot_20230311_015702_Edge.jpg
R (2).jpeg

Last edited:

IEC uses Blue as a neutral. It's also in the new code in Australia since that one tries to mirror IEC. In places like Belgium, Finland, and other places in the EU it's been used since forever.

Just the way @FilterGuy did it. Except switch the x and y. X should be represented by black and y by red. But it works either way, just most plugs and receptacle are labeled with the letters x,y,n,g. And somebody is going to say, "I'm confused" because their house has a pre-wired receptacle with black on X and not Y as shown.

View attachment 139101
View attachment 139102

I assume the implication is that the wire that is connecting to the blue wire in the cord is 'secondary'...?? I guess one could say that but I am curious if there is a standard for mingling the standards like this... I am not aware of one. As you say, it works either way.

Back