diy solar

diy solar

EG4 PowerPro Battery Firmware

The current firmware on our site is a software update for the heater logic and will not change the firmware version. However, you can confirm that the update is successful through the updater tool. For this I would make sure to check the following:

1. Remove all communication cables between the Battery-Comm units that are paralleling each battery.

2. Only power on the BMS of the EG4 PowerPro battery you are updating one at a time.

3. Utilize an RS232 to USB-A cable to connect the RJ45 (Pins 4,5) to the Battery-Comm port on the PowerPro, and then connect it to the USB-A port on a Windows computer.

4. Set the battery's dip switch ID, which you are updating, to ID:64.

Wondering why the sol-ark15 shows 560 AH; the AH of only two of my three batteries? Manually setting it to 840 reverts back to 560. Maybe it doesn't matter, but bugs me. Could this be caused by the different firmware versions? So the heater update will not fix this.

Thanks.

Jared, do you guys have a firmware that allows the BMS for this battery to communicate with a sungold power inverter? Specifically the 8kw hybrid one?
Thanks

Jared, do you guys have a firmware that allows the BMS for this battery to communicate with a sungold power inverter? Specifically the 8kw hybrid one?
Thanks
Unfortunately, the EG4-LL's and PowerPro batteries are only compatible for BMS communication with the following protocols at this time:
1706807639022.png

However, I will make note of this to our engineers to see if this is something we can expand in the future.

Unfortunately, the EG4-LL's and PowerPro batteries are only compatible for BMS communication with the following protocols at this time:
View attachment 192667

However, I will make note of this to our engineers to see if this is something we can expand in the future.
I've posted in the other thread (18kpv Q+A) about my second powerpro not being recognized by my 18kpv.

They are on different firmwares so I'm not sure if that matters? The 18kpv is on firmware 1717 so it's as up to date as it can be Green com cable between them, dips set to 1 and 2.

@EG4_Jared any thoughts?

Attachments

• PXL_20240204_111050769.jpg
    PXL_20240204_111050769.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20240204_111045363.jpg
    PXL_20240204_111045363.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20240204_102320853.jpg
    PXL_20240204_102320853.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20240204_102326846.jpg
    PXL_20240204_102326846.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20240204_103135601.jpg
    PXL_20240204_103135601.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20240204_103147048.jpg
    PXL_20240204_103147048.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20240204_110000871.jpg
    PXL_20240204_110000871.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 20
My powerpro inverter communication cable was to short I need to make a new one. I checked the manual and I didn't see the pin out but I need to make a new cable. Does anybody have a pin out for EG4 Power pro to sol-ark 12K. Also what is the most up-to-date firmware version?

I've posted in the other thread (18kpv Q+A) about my second powerpro not being recognized by my 18kpv.

They are on different firmwares so I'm not sure if that matters? The 18kpv is on firmware 1717 so it's as up to date as it can be Green com cable between them, dips set to 1 and 2.

@EG4_Jared any thoughts?
I would make sure that both batteries are set to the same protocol, whether it is Protocol 0 (EG4/Lux) or Protocol 3 (Lux). After this, they should both report on the monitoring. As for the missing RS242 cable, I will look into this.

I would make sure that both batteries are set to the same protocol, whether it is Protocol 0 (EG4/Lux) or Protocol 3 (Lux). After this, they should both report on the monitoring. As for the missing RS242 cable, I will look into this.
I will give that a try tonight...but looking at the protocols page on each battery they are named differently.

I'm assuming that's just firmware differences, but I'll just pick one to use on both batteries and see if that makes a difference.

Also, if that is the fix (I will report in tonight), the manual says you don't need to change the protocols on the "slave" battery, so you might need to change that!

My powerpro inverter communication cable was to short I need to make a new one. I checked the manual and I didn't see the pin out but I need to make a new cable. Does anybody have a pin out for EG4 Power pro to sol-ark 12K. Also what is the most up-to-date firmware version?
The pinout to the PowerPro will be a straight through cable as far as I am aware. However, I do not know the pinout for the Sol-Ark 12k.

I will give that a try tonight...but looking at the protocols page on each battery they are named differently.

I'm assuming that's just firmware differences, but I'll just pick one to use on both batteries and see if that makes a difference.

Also, if that is the fix (I will report in tonight), the manual says you don't need to change the protocols on the "slave" battery, so you might need to change that!
I would also recommend using CAN protocol for these batteries to the 18kPV.

Dumb question inbound, but short of setting the correct protocol in the battery, how do I choose "CAN" over RS485
Since they utilize the same port, the best way would be only setting the correct protocol for whichever communication form you would want to use.

Since they utilize the same port, the best way would be only setting the correct protocol for whichever communication form you would want to use.
RGR that...so basically choose an incorrect protocol for RS485, and have the CAN setting correct.

I will give it a try tonight when I'm home.

1707180168013.png

I think it's alive! My BMS limit charge rate went from 100A to 200A like it should! The second battery exists!

SOLUTION POSSIBILITIES: (because my scientific method sucks and I made two changes at once instead of one change at a time)

1) I switched the RS485 protocol to a completely incorrect protocol on both batteries. I made sure the CAN setting was the same EG4/LUX on both batteries.
2) I think this one is more likely....I turned the "new" powerpro with newer firmware to the "master" and ran the ethernet cable from here to the inverter. I turned the old Powerpro with old firmware to the "slave." Green BAT COM cable between the two in the BAT COM ports. - This is confirmed the fix.

One of those two things should work for anyone that runs into this problem in the future. I'm going to stop being a slacker and test between the two theories right now.

EDIT: #2 is the confirmed fix. Looking to be firmware related on the old PowerPro.

Also, any info on how to get the older PowerPro's firmware updated would be much appreciated.

View attachment 193690

I think it's alive! My BMS limit charge rate went from 100A to 200A like it should! The second battery exists!

SOLUTION POSSIBILITIES: (because my scientific method sucks and I made two changes at once instead of one change at a time)

1) I switched the RS485 protocol to a completely incorrect protocol on both batteries. I made sure the CAN setting was the same EG4/LUX on both batteries.
2) I think this one is more likely....I turned the "new" powerpro with newer firmware to the "master" and ran the ethernet cable from here to the inverter. I turned the old Powerpro with old firmware to the "slave." Green BAT COM cable between the two in the BAT COM ports. - This is confirmed the fix.

One of those two things should work for anyone that runs into this problem in the future. I'm going to stop being a slacker and test between the two theories right now.

EDIT: #2 is the confirmed fix. Looking to be firmware related on the old PowerPro.

Also, any info on how to get the older PowerPro's firmware updated would be much appreciated.
We are currently working to get the PowerPro's firmware added to the website at this time.

It would be great if you guys can include the version info in the file name so we can tell if we need to update or not. For the EG4 18k PV there is no way to know which version is on your site.

Does the PowerPro not come with either the RS485 to USB cable or the RS232 to USB cable? I have this battery and would like to update the firmware.

I had to purchase the RS485 cable. Now not sure what to do for RS232.

Also, there is no firmware on the EG4 site, just heater logic change.

Does the PowerPro not come with either the RS485 to USB cable or the RS232 to USB cable? I have this battery and would like to update the firmware.

I had to purchase the RS485 cable. Now not sure what to do for RS232.

Also, there is no firmware on the EG4 site, just heater logic change.
Correct, we currently only have the heater logic change on our website. However, the RS485 and RS232 cable should of been sent with the battery and I would recommend reaching out to the distributor purchased from about this. Alternatively, you can send me a DM to hopefully get this sent out as well.

Back