diy solar

diy solar

Electric/propane water heater?

so a heat pump i feel stupid water heater... we have them here... now i feel really stupid.
thats what i was referring to myself they sell used one online her for peanuts. trick is if you are in a hard water area they tend to die sooner. the heat exchanger gets plugged with lime or mineral content fairly quick.

OK, now that we have cleared the cobwebs (somewhat) out of my calcified brain... what are the general thoughts on this.
My batteries were at 54 volts on sunday at 1045. the total bank of 1300 aH or 70 kWh dropped from full to 90 % by the end of one overnight cycle. So if i set the timer on two of the HPWH's to turn on at 1130 or even 1200. i could expect four hours of heating before the solar drops off enough to start drawing from the banks.
Plan was to use a DC voltage controlled magnetic relay to shut off, just the compressor section of the HPWH's if the battery voltage dropped below say 53 volts and then fine tune the breakers to find a good balance between battery cycle and water heating.
In the summer i see zero issues as I ran an split pack 24-7 to keep humidity down last year and never saw less than 50% on a 500aH pack. now with a 1300 aH pack i expect it would be even less of an issue. but without experimentation who knows?

thoughts?

rural indiana in the 70's was a 500 gallon tank minimum for a family of 4 and that was only if they would deliver in the winter...
I understand , but a lot changes in 40 - 50 years years …plus the price affects things, , plus they won’t just set a tank like years ago without a permit and inspection in some areas with SOME companies…

I have had a single 1000 gallon tank in the past in some places , then you get letters from the city zoning you must hide the “ apparent submarine “ laying on your property….or build a certain type visability sheild …aww geez… or bury it after hiring a backhoe for a fortune .. or deal with the biddies on the HOA about what they want done .

This is partly why I left living near people years ago..

Plus a lot of companies have gotten so concerned of lawsuits and regulation’s they are borderline scared of doing anything …on the other hand , some companies will just just hand you some flair fittings and a hose and tell ya to go ahead and hook stuff up….” Good luck” ….

Lastly , I want and have multiple type containers in different spots with different levels of visabilty for concealing ability…
A lot of propane is an attractive asset to people without propane…like food or water …

I would prefer to not advertise what I have and where it is…

Things just seem to get harder to do every year.

I understand , but a lot changes in 40 - 50 years years …plus the price affects things, , plus they won’t just set a tank like years ago without a permit and inspection in some areas with SOME companies…

I have had a single 1000 gallon tank in the past in some places , then you get letters from the city zoning you must hide the “ apparent submarine “ laying on your property….or build a certain type visability sheild …aww geez… or bury it after hiring a backhoe for a fortune .. or deal with the biddies on the HOA about what they want done .

This is partly why I left living near people years ago..

Plus a lot of companies have gotten so concerned of lawsuits and regulation’s they are borderline scared of doing anything …on the other hand , some companies will just just hand you some flair fittings and a hose and tell ya to go ahead and hook stuff up….” Good luck” ….

Lastly , I want and have multiple type containers in different spots with different levels of visabilty for concealing ability…
A lot of propane is an attractive asset to people without propane…like food or water …

I would prefer to not advertise what I have and where it is…

Things just seem to get harder to do every year.
i was poking fun at you and no more. I understand believe it or not sad days huh? the most worrisome part of this is that with the tanks buried you can no longer run a chain over them every other year and repaint them. they just sit their under the earth and rot and when they blow.... whoa bessie!

Heat Geek goes over this, one thing needed is stagnant water.

If you are really concerned about Legionella then you can install a thermostatic mixing valve and heat water above 140°F. I would be more concerned using low temp emitters such as radiant floor that never was heated above 140°F. That is why one should occasionally bump the temp up before working on a system.

That’s a good vid ..without getting into things alot , I do have an issue with the stagnation aspect of large volumes of stored water , and temp issues , and shower heads creating breathable mist..
Not to mention being over 50…Haa. well over..

Heating very hot may not always be an option in some conditions and events, so Untill I get further into it , I am using chems to treat the stored water and flushing it all periodically..

I will delve deeper in this in the near future…

Thx, J..

OK, now that we have cleared the cobwebs (somewhat) out of my calcified brain... what are the general thoughts on this.
My batteries were at 54 volts on sunday at 1045. the total bank of 1300 aH or 70 kWh dropped from full to 90 % by the end of one overnight cycle. So if i set the timer on two of the HPWH's to turn on at 1130 or even 1200. i could expect four hours of heating before the solar drops off enough to start drawing from the banks.
Plan was to use a DC voltage controlled magnetic relay to shut off, just the compressor section of the HPWH's if the battery voltage dropped below say 53 volts and then fine tune the breakers to find a good balance between battery cycle and water heating.
In the summer i see zero issues as I ran an split pack 24-7 to keep humidity down last year and never saw less than 50% on a 500aH pack. now with a 1300 aH pack i expect it would be even less of an issue. but without experimentation who knows?

thoughts?
I finally got my HPWH running yesterday. I didn't notice any difference this morning for what I usually see for SOC. We usually see about 10% of bank capacity used overnight and that is with the heat pump heating the house. The HPWH on heat pump mode doesn't draw much. I did flip on the electric element about 3 pm yesterday as bank hit full SOC. Water heater was just about done so I turned temp up to 140°F.

The electric sauna also went online this weekend. That draws 1.4 Kw.

i was poking fun at you and no more. I understand believe it or not sad days huh? the most worrisome part of this is that with the tanks buried you can no longer run a chain over them every other year and repaint them. they just sit their under the earth and rot and when they blow.... whoa bessie!
Yea but if it’s close by, it will be over quick….

Back