diy solar

diy solar

Energy Efficient Heater

rafter_01

Hi All,

New to this forum, and I have a question on buying an efficient indoor heater.

My current setup is 2x Ecoflow Delta Pros connected to a Smart Home Panel and Solar 3KW setup.

Currently I am using a traditional heater, a 2kw fan heater, and it eats up the battery of the Delta Pros which is super annoying.

Can you guys recommend an efficient heater for indoor which has decent output but runs on low power? I have seen the Ecoflow WAVE 2 and its brilliant but the price for it is way of over my budget.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Electric resistant heaters are never good power consumption wise but its a required evil at times :)

Since its watts = btu basically you just have to decide how much heat you need.

A heater that is rated at 500 watts is going to pull 500 watts the entire time its on.

1000 watt heater is going to pull 1000 watts.

I use a 500 watt heater for my workshop to keep its temps up since the smaller 12v inverter I have in there isn't bothered by it that bad.

Most efficient I have found is an electric blanket to heat you instead of the house.

A good electric blanket with a thermostat will use about 60 watts on high and can run off just a small system.

Put the blanket under a quilt or in a sleeping bag and you increase the efficiency even more.

That is a lot more efficient than trying to heat a bunch of rooms in a house that you are not using except for a few minutes each day.

Unless you go with a heat pump type heater, any electric resistance heater is basically 100% efficient. A heat pump doesn't create heat it just moves it around so it can be more efficient, a "cold climate" heat pump can get up to 300% efficient. The smallest I have seen is a 7,500 BTU unit. They are still fairly efficient when turned down.

heat pump can get up to 300% efficient
That is actually not possible as it violates the laws of physics.

I know, the heat pump companies use it as a sales pitch but you can't get more energy out than you put in.

What they can have is a "coefficient" meaning they can move up to 3 times more heat than the energy consumed but that is completely dependent on the ambient air temp outside or from the ground if using a ground source heat pump.

That is basically taking heat/energy from another source and transferring it to your home.

Air source heat pumps lose efficiency rapidly as the outside air temp drops and at below freezing they can lose 50% efficiency.

Ground source that has a constant temp are much more efficient.

Purchase the highest efficiency mini split heat pump you can afford. Any of them are better than a resistance heater as far as efficiency goes. Now cost, simplicity and reliability are another story.

Ground source that has a constant temp are much more efficient.
Ground source heat pumps are more efficient than air-air heat pumps, but require a very significant upfront capital cost in terms of drilling a well and burying tubing, or installing that tubing in some other way (such as in a large pond or in trenches below the frost line). For many applications, it just doesn't make sense as the payback period can be two decades or more. With improvements in the efficiency of air-air heat pumps in recent years, they make far more sense for many, perhaps even most, situations. They will always perform with a coefficient of performance greater than 1 down to at least their rated temperature, which means they are delivering more heat (or cooling) than the energy they consume because they are transferring, not generating, that heat. Ground source almost never makes sense for a small system or supplemental heating cooling of a small space, and given the current cost of capital (high interest rates) air-air heat pumps often make more sense for even a whole home system, as the extra money you spend on a ground source approach could be earning you money whether you avoided debt for the system, or just invested it if paying cash. Calculating things out on an after-tax basis will tell you what works best for you. For most people, that's no longer a ground source system.

To the OP: Most electric heaters (resistive heat) operate with an efficiency of 100%, so you're not going to get better than that unless you transfer heat from another source, which is what a heat pump (e.g., mini-split) does. Once you decide to go in that (very smart) direction, it's a matter of picking one that delivers the best efficiency at a price point you can afford. There are many threads on this forum that discuss that.

Finally, if you are trying to heat just a very tiny area on a budget and don't want to spend the capital cost of even a cheap mini-split, it's hard to beat an oil-filled radiator heater. They're cheap, safer than a heater with exposed heat elements, and last for years. I heated a tiny 5x7 office I built on a trailer using one, for three winters in Maine. It cost much more in energy costs to do this than if I had used a mini-split, but I didn't need to shell out the $1K or more I would have spent on that mini-split, so I came out ahead in that specific situation. I use mini-splits in multiple other, more permanent buildings, also in Maine.

Bottom line: 1) You can't ignore the capital costs (what it costs to put something into operation) and 2) Almost all of life is in the end a math equation.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:
Mini split.
Yes they are 300% or whatever it is more efficient compared to regular resistive heat because it is way easier to move energy than it is to create it.

Ground source heat pumps are more efficient than air-air heat pumps, but require a very significant upfront capital cost in terms of drilling a well and burying tubing, or installing that tubing in some other way (such as in a large pond or in trenches below the frost line). For many applications, it just doesn't make sense as the payback period can be two decades or more.
With improvements in the efficiency of air-air heat pumps in recent years, they make far more sense for many, perhaps even most, situations. T

If you live in cold climates with temps that may be constantly below 0 I do not recommend an air source heat pump and you will need a backup heat source.

As an air conditioner for cooling though they are more efficient.

"Most cold-climate models can only efficiently produce heat down to 0°F or -5°F, meaning you would need a backup heating appliance for most of the winter."

This thread reminds me of a funny electric blanket package I saw at the store. It said "high efficiency" right on the front of the box. Good thing since its hard to sleep at night if your electric blanket is moving around all the time or emitting light.

If you live in cold climates with temps that may be constantly below 0 I do not recommend an air source heat pump and you will need a backup heat source.
I thought there was a program by the US government to incentivize manufacturers to build more efficient below 0°F air temps air source heat pumps. They are supposed to be on the market next year?

I thought there was a program by the US government to incentivize manufacturers to build more efficient below 0°F air temps air source heat pumps. They are supposed to be on the market next year?
The incentive is there and I hope they are successful but for now an air source heat pump is best for moderate climates that rarely stay below freezing and I would still recommend a backup heat source.

Heat pumps are a lot more complicated and not easily repaired by the average homeowner if you can even get replacement parts.

Last edited:
Well it does seem like there will be much more options for COLD climates next year.. under the program Trane field tested one last year:
Lab tests for Trane’s CCHP prototype were performed at the DOE’s Oak Ridge National Lab Facility in temperatures as low as -23°F, which surpassed the mandatory -20°F DOE requirement. Even as temperatures moved beyond the trial scope, the prototype continued to operate at a high performance

Hi All,

New to this forum, and I have a question on buying an efficient indoor heater.

My current setup is 2x Ecoflow Delta Pros connected to a Smart Home Panel and Solar 3KW setup.

Currently I am using a traditional heater, a 2kw fan heater, and it eats up the battery of the Delta Pros which is super annoying.

Can you guys recommend an efficient heater for indoor which has decent output but runs on low power? I have seen the Ecoflow WAVE 2 and its brilliant but the price for it is way of over my budget.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
Since you are using a 2000 watt heater I am assuming you are heating a small space. (more info?). The most efficient space heaters are oil filled. As Punchy Sunshine said for a small space; an oil filled space heater and an electric blanket, under a quilt, are the way to go.

Back