diy solar

diy solar

Epever charge controller dropping out of MPPT mode

Here’s the video of me cycling the panels.

Interesting that the second controller was doing mppt as the amps out was greater than amps in, but only a paltry 0.3A more until the panels were cycled.

Here’s the smart shunt showing the big jump in current going to the battery.

Attachments

• IMG_9432.png
    IMG_9432.png
    93.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
This is so weird though mine woke up when the sun came up this morning and charged perfectly like that have done for so many years. I can't find any firmware stuff to download on epever's site to even try getting one of the problem units to my firmware.

Ive never had this problem.

Interesting that the second controller was doing mppt as the amps out was greater than amps in, but only a paltry 0.3A more until the panels were cycled.
I read back to the top and see that you took over this thread at post #76 (i don't have a problem with that). I could not find any mention of your setup.
Do you have 2 distinct arrays and distinct wiring to your 2 distinct SCC's?

Does this getting "stuck" happen with just one of the SCCs on/working/connected?
I wonder if there is some interaction where the charge volts raise battery voltage first and it affects the second?

I also did a search and it jogged my memory (required cycling too!) that many others have been seeing this issue. I "thought" that there was a firmware update that was supposed to fix this but do not recall how successful that fix was.

Its an unfortunate problem. Asking questions with hopes of spotting some other cause (sorry?).

I read back to the top and see that you took over this thread at post #76 (i don't have a problem with that). I could not find any mention of your setup.
Do you have 2 distinct arrays and distinct wiring to your 2 distinct SCC's?

Does this getting "stuck" happen with just one of the SCCs on/working/connected?
I wonder if there is some interaction where the charge volts raise battery voltage first and it affects the second?

I also did a search and it jogged my memory (required cycling too!) that many others have been seeing this issue. I "thought" that there was a firmware update that was supposed to fix this but do not recall how successful that fix was.

Its an unfortunate problem. Asking questions with hopes of spotting some other cause (sorry?).
Two independent Pv arrays, one is a matched set of REC solar 250W panels in 3p2s configuration. The other are 3 Trina 220w panels in series. Both 4215bns are feeding 1 LiFePO4 pack consisting of 4 12V 100AH Redodo LFP batteries. There’s a Victron smart shunt in there. Off the batteries (through the smart shunt) is a Samlex 600W PSW inverter. Constant 24/7 load is ~ 130W, with bigger loads when our PCs are on.

First 4215bn worked fine for days, then the very day I was adding the second 4215bn, before I started, I saw the first one was stuck. Cycling the panels fixed it, and then I added the second SCC

I don’t think it’s an interaction between the two. The LFP pack is a big load that it’s voltage doesn’t swing fast.

That said, I could turn off the one set of panels and see what happens over a period of days, but I’d rather just build the cycling switch and not have to worry about these getting stuck.

I did write a detailed note to EPever. I hope they reply with a constructive solution.

That said, I could turn off the one set of panels and see what happens over a period of days,
As an engineer, i cannot help "needing to know" the root cause(s) of problems. It would be more complete to see if both "systems" function properly alone.

but I’d rather just build the cycling switch and not have to worry about these getting stuck.
I do like simple but lay awake at night wondering about fixes to mysteries.

I wish i had some real help for you. Good luck!

Two independent Pv arrays, one is a matched set of REC solar 250W panels in 3p2s configuration. The other are 3 Trina 220w panels in series. Both 4215bns are feeding 1 LiFePO4 pack consisting of 4 12V 100AH Redodo LFP batteries. There’s a Victron smart shunt in there. Off the batteries (through the smart shunt) is a Samlex 600W PSW inverter. Constant 24/7 load is ~ 130W, with bigger loads when our PCs are on.

First 4215bn worked fine for days, then the very day I was adding the second 4215bn, before I started, I saw the first one was stuck. Cycling the panels fixed it, and then I added the second SCC

I don’t think it’s an interaction between the two. The LFP pack is a big load that it’s voltage doesn’t swing fast.

That said, I could turn off the one set of panels and see what happens over a period of days, but I’d rather just build the cycling switch and not have to worry about these getting stuck.
As an engineer, i cannot help "needing to know" the root cause(s) of problems. It would be more complete to see if both "systems" function properly alone.

I do like simple but lay awake at night wondering about fixes to mysteries.

I wish i had some real help for you. Good luck!
Engineer here too. Since I’ve removed 5 UPS’s and put all my networking and ham radio stuff on solar, up time and replacing daily usage is priority.

EPEver got back to me. First reply was "4215BN does not support lithium, you have too many panels, and don't parallel the controllers". I refuted all that and then was offered their latest FW a try. So tonight I updated one of my units to V1.04 and left the other at V1.02. Tomorrow I'll see if the V1.04 is not getting stuck.

Separately I'm about to put in an order for parts for my PV disconnect workaround. While I was picking parts, I came across this thread in 2020 from folks having problems with a few different MPPT controllers.
MPPT issue
This post was most interesting:
I have extreme shade and and a 60V array. This problem was so bad with my controller, I built a disconnect for the array into my house micro. If the array drops below 40V for more than two minutes, It disconnects the panel for ten seconds. You might have shading problems like this guy.

Hopefully the new FW fixes the problem, otherwise I think I'll incorporate the same logic.

Yep, yours are blank. Mine supports LiFePO4, so guessing I have a newer version.

First reply was "4215BN does not support lithium,
So, what kind of support for LiFePO4 are you seeing and why does EPever not know about it?

Does EPever consider using a user defined battery type as acceptable for LiFePO4 batteries?

So, what kind of support for LiFePO4 are you seeing and why does EPever not know about it?

Does EPever consider using a user defined battery type as acceptable for LiFePO4 batteries?
There are 4 additional battery choices, 2 for LFP and 2 For LNMC.

Regarding USER, I think that's just a convenient fallback excuse. Once I said that I didn't accept their explanation, then the new FW version was offered.

My antique 4215bn's just have agm, normal and user or something like that for choices. I run mine in user mode.

The tech already got back to me on my questions. He did not say that the fw specifically fixes MPPT issues, he just said "it fixes some program bugs, maybe the update can solve the problem".

What I found interesting is that I sent a screenshot of the PC software tool showing my settings and he said I need to do the lithium programming settings from the lithium parameter screen. Here is a screenshot from a video I was sent. I don't know what would be different from this screen than using the user choice.

For now I am going to leave it set up from the user parameter screen.

1699336748058.png

The tech already got back to me on my questions. He did not say that the fw specifically fixes MPPT issues, he just said "it fixes some program bugs, maybe the update can solve the problem".

What I found interesting is that I sent a screenshot of the PC software tool showing my settings and he said I need to do the lithium programming settings from the lithium parameter screen. Here is a screenshot from a video I was sent. I don't know what would be different from this screen than using the user choice.

For now I am going to leave it set up from the user parameter screen.

View attachment 176514

Thanks for these updates. I was considering the Epever MPPT options when I had gotten sick and tired of trying to get Renogy support to help me figure out if the Renogy Rover MPPT I had was defective or simply really really poorly designed. After weeks of back and forth with them (they never answered my questions and kept me looping by repeatedly asking for the same information like screenshots which I sent to them more than once, “read the this t support thread” is what i told them). After hearing about @Rednecktek ’s MPPT dropping issues with Epevers, I knew that for not an extreme amount of more money I could get a Victron 100/30 and NEVER DEAL WITH THIS SHIT AGAIN. So I did and so far, I haven’t had to deal with any of that shit. In fact, I think the MPPT tracking on my Victron is so fast, that I’m seeing 15-30% more production using the exact same panels as I used with the Renogy. Based upon reports like yours and Rednecktek, I assume it might be a similar problem with the Epever since it’s getting stuck.

@sunshine_eggo summed it up when he said that the solar charge controller is the brain of your whole system, so why would you go cheap? What’s the benefit of an inferior brain? Buy a cheap battery, cheap panels, quality aka expensive copper wiring and good connectors and a quality not-cheap charge controller. That will be a good investment.

Wish I could get back all the time I “wasted” learning this lesson, lol!

Not saying they’re isn’ta time and place for cheap charge controllers, even the $7 PWM ones have their use case. But if it’s important that your controller works as well as you think it should and not give you headaches, then spend a day as a panhandler or whatever it takes to pony up to buy a quality one.

Thanks for these updates. I was considering the Epever MPPT options when I had gotten sick and tired of trying to get Renogy support to help me figure out if the Renogy Rover MPPT I had was defective or simply really really poorly designed. After weeks of back and forth with them (they never answered my questions and kept me looping by repeatedly asking for the same information like screenshots which I sent to them more than once, “read the this t support thread” is what i told them). After hearing about @Rednecktek ’s MPPT dropping issues with Epevers, I knew that for not an extreme amount of more money I could get a Victron 100/30 and NEVER DEAL WITH THIS SHIT AGAIN. So I did and so far, I haven’t had to deal with any of that shit. In fact, I think the MPPT tracking on my Victron is so fast, that I’m seeing 15-30% more production using the exact same panels as I used with the Renogy. Based upon reports like yours and Rednecktek, I assume it might be a similar problem with the Epever since it’s getting stuck.

@sunshine_eggo summed it up when he said that the solar charge controller is the brain of your whole system, so why would you go cheap? What’s the benefit of an inferior brain? Buy a cheap battery, cheap panels, quality aka expensive copper wiring and good connectors and a quality not-cheap charge controller. That will be a good investment.

Wish I could get back all the time I “wasted” learning this lesson, lol!

Not saying they’re isn’ta time and place for cheap charge controllers, even the $7 PWM ones have their use case. But if it’s important that your controller works as well as you think it should and not give you headaches, then spend a day as a panhandler or whatever it takes to pony up to buy a quality one.
The only problem with the cheap part is the 4215bn cost more than the victron in this case and puts out more power than the victron can :)

Two nights ago I updated one controller to FW version 1.04 but left the second one at what it was delivered with (1.02). The very next morning, the one I updated was correctly performing MPPT, and the one I did not update was stuck. The wife power cycled the panels to fix the stuck one.

Last night I updated the remaining controller to V1.04, and this morning both controllers are correctly performing MPPT. Yay! Let's see if it holds.

Meanwhile, Victron slashed prices on their MPPT controllers, so I picked up a SmartSolar 150/45 to try. I will have to downsize my wiring as I am running 4ga between the controller and my batteries (to minimize voltage reporting errors) and from what I've read about Victron, their terminals are small. My wiring is also 'coarse' in that though they're stranded, the individual strands are large (I'm using stranded wire left over from my EV charger install). Per Victron's manual, they want fine wire/high strand count or else overheating can occur.

The Victron vs 4215BN will be an interesting comparison. I like the BIG lug capability on the 4215BN. Also, RFI wise, it isn't terrible. 160M is trash, and there is some interference on 20M, but the other bands are useable (I already have high background noise from neighbors). I think I can take care of the issues on 160M and 20M - I have not grounded the case on the diecast metal 4215 case, and I'll try a big corcom RFI filter on the power lines.

Given I have a parallel setup, I can swap the panels between the 4215BN and the Victron 150/45 to see how each perform.

I'm using 12xx and 22xx regs. I'm assuming the two versions reported are: Hardware / Firmware respectively?

1699461356884.png

Meanwhile, Victron slashed prices on their MPPT controllers, so I picked up a SmartSolar 150/45 to try.

Awesome to hear of your fixed firmware for the Epever - this would have swayed me from Victron, but now I have Victron, I can't go back, lol.

Where are you seeing the slashed prices?

I glad the firmware helped. I knew it had to be something like that since my antique 4215bn's have never given me any problems and using the two of them in parallel I consistently got 80 amps out of them all day at the old house.

Awesome to hear of your fixed firmware for the Epever - this would have swayed me from Victron, but now I have Victron, I can't go back, lol.

Where are you seeing the slashed prices?
Amazon had a decent sale on the victron charge controllers when I logged in last night to order some stuff.

Back