diy solar

diy solar

Epever charge controller dropping out of MPPT mode

Where did you get the firmware and can you pass it on?

And regarding your fix, yay!
From EPever tech support. Once I get a week’s worth of correct operation, then I’ll post the FW. What I have worked fine for a while too, so I’m cautiously optimistic that it is solved.

The tech already got back to me on my questions. He did not say that the fw specifically fixes MPPT issues, he just said "it fixes some program bugs, maybe the update can solve the problem".

What I found interesting is that I sent a screenshot of the PC software tool showing my settings and he said I need to do the lithium programming settings from the lithium parameter screen. Here is a screenshot from a video I was sent. I don't know what would be different from this screen than using the user choice.

For now I am going to leave it set up from the user parameter screen.

View attachment 176514
Hi. I have used the slightly 'smaller' BN3215 for several years (older firmware), and it runs MPPT in "Boost Mode" whenever the batteries are less than 99% full (withouth stopping).

One value which I set a lot higher than they showed in this image (for "12v" batteries) is the "Boost Recon. Charge Volt": they have only 13.20 volts, while I am using 13.50 volts. Their value, if I understand correctly, wil prevent "Boost/Absorb" charging when the battery pack has fallen below float (13.6, or 13.8?? -it's fuzzy and my eye's aren't good), but still remains above 13.2 during its intermitten test cycles.

13.2V total (3.300 per cell, in a "12v" 4S configuration) is only around 70% SOC. My value promotes "Boost Charging" whenever the pack is less than 99% full. (That wouldn't be great in long term storage, but works extremely well during my RV trip. My RV is stored in the garage between trips, with no sunlight hitting the panels).

I don't know if "Float Charging" firmware logic might also impose or prefer a low current limit, maybe related to the stated battery capacity, during "float charging". Within a set of squirrely microcod decisions, EpEver might decice that PWM mode is adequate for "mere float charging", even when the battery string is still willing to accept high current at the lower voltage.

My scheme promotes Boost Charging, and EPEVER runs in MPPT mode and high current until my batteries are stuffed to the gills (99%+), and reverts back into 'Boost Mode' on the next test cycle if they've fallen below that value.
- - -
Looking forward to your folow-up report of results with new firmware in both your SCCs, but I'm getting by with a very old version (with this parameter change in place.)

Oh yeah I saw the low prices on Amazon but I’m unfamiliar with the seller. I don’t buy from sellers I have no reason to buy from other than low price. If someone on this forum (whom I already know and trust) has a good review of said seller, I might consider.

Oh yeah I saw the low prices on Amazon but I’m unfamiliar with the seller. I don’t buy from sellers I have no reason to buy from other than low price. If someone on this forum (whom I already know and trust) has a good review of said seller, I might consider.
In the 'Victron is overpriced' thread, Pike Industries is mentioned as a good seller. That's who I bought from this morning, and it was just delivered. Unlike all the white generic boxed Victron stuff I've bought from Inverters R Us (24-12V converters, Smart Shunt) , this unit from Pike is in a retail box. Now I need to buy the correct 6ga stranded wire as Victron says it needs to be very high strand count.

How do you do comms with the Victron regs?
I've got all my epever's networked (one of the reasons for choosing them)

In the 'Victron is overpriced' thread, Pike Industries is mentioned as a good seller. That's who I bought from this morning, and it was just delivered. Unlike all the white generic boxed Victron stuff I've bought from Inverters R Us (24-12V converters, Smart Shunt) , this unit from Pike is in a retail box. Now I need to buy the correct 6ga stranded wire as Victron says it needs to be very high strand count.

BatteryCablesUSA.com is my go to for high quality high strand count pure copper cables for a fair price and cheap shipping. They don’t sell on eBay or Amazon in order to keep their prices low. I have bought from them I think 5-6 times now. Shipping from I think Alabama or Georgia to the Pacific Northwest has only taken a few days, 5 at most.

Everything I’ve bought Victron as New from inverters r us has come in a retail box. And of the three Victron items I’ve bought from them in their Victron b-stock section, only one didn’t come in a retail box.

In any case, good to hear that Pike is a reputable dealer.

My experience with customer service with Inverters R Us has been top notch. Even Dexter at Current Connected has spoken highly of them and that they used to purchase from them until they got big enough to get their own dealer account direct from Victron.

The Victron Smartsolar 100/30 charge controller that I bought from Inverters R Us in September for $192 (retail was $207), is now listed for $128 on their website. Free shipping and returns and I don’t believe they charge sales tax, at least they didn’t last time or the quote already included it.

I just looked at Amazon here. The 150 volt 35 amp unit dropped 40% to just $184.45 USD with free shipping. I just might have to give it a try.

I have 2 nearly identical arrays that are parallel feeding my BougeRV 40 amp controller. If I split them across the two controllers, I will be able to see very quickly if the MPPT tracking in the Victron is that much better than the BougeRV one. While the Bouge never got stuck like the EPever complaints, it does seem to miss track a fair bit. My maximum power has never topped 26 amps for any length of time. I have seen peaks show a maximum power hitting 1,800 watts, which suggests about 34 amps. I think the Victron 35 amp rating should be just fine if I put all the panels on the one controller, even if it is better at pulling current from the panels. Or should I go up to the 45 amp version?

BatteryCablesUSA.com is my go to for high quality high strand count pure copper cables for a fair price and cheap shipping. They don’t sell on eBay or Amazon in order to keep their prices low. I have bought from them I think 5-6 times now. Shipping from I think Alabama or Georgia to the Pacific Northwest has only taken a few days, 5 at most.
Thanks for the input on BatteryCablesUSA.com !

Thanks for the input on BatteryCablesUSA.com !

I have only bought their "extreme" version, which as far as I know, the main difference is the rubber insulation is much thicker than the other two versions. All versions are high strand count and rated for 105C. For the small lengths I am purchasing, it was a no-brainer to pay a little extra for the Extreme version.

You can customize your cables exactly how you want: length (to the inch), terminals (or bare end) and if you need something special like 90-degree lugs, you can put a note in the comment section and they will do so at no extra charge. No one offers this level of customization on an easy to use website at this price, to my knowledge. WindyNation is another good source, but they don't customize like this unless you engage in an email conversation or phone call and their prices are a bit higher.

First reply was "4215BN
Is there a trick to finding this unit on the Epever website? Is it too old and off their support/acknowledgement list?

I am helping someone and looking for software/firmware updates and cannot get ANY hits on 4215BN or even 4215.

My google-fu not successful either.

Is there a trick to finding this unit on the Epever website? Is it too old and off their support/acknowledgement list?

I am helping someone and looking for software/firmware updates and cannot get ANY hits on 4215BN or even 4215.

Not sure. I have had the same issue at times looking up info on it. Seems half the time it looks discontinued and then pops back up.

I had the same problem yet the ones I bought had support for LFP and LCO batteries natively showing they’re still making updates to the FW.

What I don’t know is if the internals didn’t change. Tech support asked me for a picture of the serial numbers on my units. I’m thinking they used that to know what FW file to send me.

Last edited:
I looked at my labels when I was looking up stuff to compare mine to yours and was expecting to see something like serial # Cameoveronthemayflower00AZ1 seeing how old mine are :)

Thanks. Can't see BT working for me with multiple (and spread out) reg
sorry for the confusion. The blue tooth connection is between the ssc and the shunt to get a accurate voltage reading
and tail current .
not between 2 ssc this wrong
you need to have a cerbo for that ( i think)

you can connect 2 ssc as per the manual
Synchronised charging - All chargers in the network will act as they were one large charger. One of the chargers in the network
will assume a master role and the master will dictate the charge algorithm the other chargers will be using. All chargers will
follow the same charge algorithm and charge stages. The master is selected randomly (not user settable) so it is important
that all chargers use the same charge settings. During synchronised charging each charger will charge up to its own maximum
charge current setting (it is not possible to set a maximum current for the whole network). For more information see the
VE.Smart manual located on the VictronConnect app product page

Last edited:
sorry for the confusion. The blue tooth connection is between the ssc and the shunt to get a accurate voltage reading
and tail current .
not between 2 ssc
you need to have a cerbo for that ( i think)
Ah - ok.
I don't need hugely accurate readings - mostly just to keep an eye on the multiple systems to make sure they are working correctly.
I use a combination of Wifi, UTP and fibre to allow my regs to be interrogated simultaneously over a wide area (and from anywhere with internet)

Both the Victron and networking are OT for this thread, so perhaps we should take these topics elsewhere.

try this

Charge Controller or the new (beta) Solar Guardian should both work. (SG is a bit half baked at this stage, but looks promising)
For firmware, you need to contact support directly and ask

I've noticed older/less popular lines disappearing - the XTRA with the replaceable/customizable comms modules have evaporated.

Back