diy solar

diy solar

epever tracer 4210an problems

wakeroyd

4210an shows 1.6 amp load with nothing connected on load also will not retain settings from phone or mt50, it also informs me on the android app its a triron 4210 not a tracer 4210, its doing my head in, label says tracer 4210 12v 24v li, is the firmware the same for triron and tracer or is the app lying to me ,with a load on of 8amp I'm getting Pv 40 current .5amp so much for 'upgrade' to mppt, can someone check their app please to see if they are getting the triron message so i can see if the wrong firmware was loaded at the factory

Last edited:
How recently did you purchase? Triron and tracer are like the same thing.

I downloaded the software and used a laptop to program a couple of these. The MT50 was frustrating to me.

Purchased about 2 years ago but only just installed, installed laptop software ok but usb software is returning code 31 error, edited registry to fix have yet to try reinstall hence the use of mt50 and android

Purchased about 2 years ago but only just installed, installed laptop software ok but usb software is returning code 31 error, edited registry to fix have yet to try reinstall hence the use of mt50 and android
Search on here - there’s a fix for that. Somebody here pointed out the port setting created errors. I changed it and it’s been mostly fine since. Thanks to this guy and others:
Wish I kept notes, did it years ago.
Key is to confirm communication by reading Parameters (P) -> Device ID, the simpler the better.
Set serial port to COM1, 115200 baud, 8 bits, 1 stop, no parity

I had to change some W10 settings for com port. Had to restart and reconnect too.

These serial ports are old tech, older than plug and play. The destination (peripheral) was typically a smaller and limited chip. The PC COM port chips are more flexible, and can be set to match the peripheral.
The COM port (bridge) is in the cable now. W10 has a Virtual COM that allows it to be setup via USB and communicate via USB.

Use whatever Com port# that works. That is local to your PC. COM1 preferred.
The last part is interesting, the virtual serial port may not auto install for some serial bridge cables.
virtual serial ports on W10

Last edited:
How did things work out for you?
I'm thinking of buying a 4210AN. I don't want to get an Electric Lemon.JPG Electric Lemon

I have a newer Epever Tracer AN6420 and had no issue getting the windows software to communicate with the SCC through the COM port…

Yeah, my Tracer Xtra3210N identifies as a 'triron' as well.
My surface pro w/W10 connects on com 3.

Half an amp means it's either in float or your charge voltage matches the battery so it's idle. Start from at least a 50% SOC point to make sure it's boosting and floating. The log monitor works pretty well too.

If you're charging a lifepo, start with loading those parameters - not the non-lifepo option. Use the 'read' tool first for the controller and then make adjustments to your settings, 'update' your controller with the new entries, then export them if you want to save them. 120 minutes of boost is probably too long, set equalization to zero. Boost countdown does not start until your battery reaches the boost voltage setting - according to the controller. If you change the duration while it's in boost it takes affect the NEXT boost session, or if you disconnect PV and power it down, restart.

I had to change all my settings - they were too low. It reads battery voltage with the charging current on top - so it is much higher than the actual battery voltage. With the BMS app on my smartphone and the epever program on my tablet, I can get a pretty good view of what it's actually doing.

Definitely takes some tweaking of the parameters. I probly have a dozen hours sitting there watching it and making adjustments.

Last edited:
don't want to get an ewectric wemon
You won’t.
From my observation it’s that I have a cheapo laptop where the com port(s) is virtually assigned. If it’s a problem it’s simply you go in and change it and it works. I’d floated around here a few times but when I asked that question and got immediate friendly response it felt like the ol’ days of usenet so decided then and there to hang out here.

You won’t.
From my observation it’s that I have a cheapo laptop where the com port(s) is virtually assigned. If it’s a problem it’s simply you go in and change it and it works. I’d floated around here a few times but when I asked that question and got immediate friendly response it felt like the ol’ days of usenet so decided then and there to hang out here.
We shouldn't have issues with "Talking to the Machine". Boss Lady did IT for a buncha years. :)
Whenever I screw up a computer she takes it away and gives me another one. We're hoping to use an OLD machine which will be dedicated to the solar stuff.

I may just push the button on the 4210AN today.
The controller's first job will be to top off my new 12 volt, 200 Ah, Lifepo4 batteries prior to putting them in service.
I did not want to purchase a dedicated AC powered Lifepo4 battery charger which would rarely be used.

Thanks for the feedback.

We shouldn't have issues with "Talking to the Machine". Boss Lady did IT for a buncha years. :)
Whenever I screw up a computer she takes it away and gives me another one. We're hoping to use an OLD machine which will be dedicated to the solar stuff.

I may just push the button on the 4210AN today.
The controller's first job will be to top off my new 12 volt, 200 Ah, Lifepo4 batteries prior to putting them in service.
I did not want to purchase a dedicated AC powered Lifepo4 battery charger which would rarely be used.

Thanks for the feedback.

I would be happy to ship you mine to use, send it back when you're done.
I put it back in the box, it's in a storage cabinet, adding to the mountain of crap I'm going to have to either sell or move when we move. LOL

It's a Longwei 0-30 10A bench power supply:

I would be happy to ship you mine to use, send it back when you're done.
I put it back in the box, it's in a storage cabinet, adding to the mountain of crap I'm going to have to either sell or move when we move. LOL

It's a Longwei 0-30 10A bench power supply:
Awe Man, I thought you were going to let me borrow a charge controller to see if I liked it.

Great offer on the power supply, got to pass though. (y)
This 4210AN looks like it will be perfect in my trailer. I'll push the button soon unless some folks really start dumping on it.

I have two of them, a 10A Tracer AN and a 30A Tracer Xtra. They both work just fine. I was trying to decide between them and Victron, and there were enough good reports on the EPEver, and they were half the price, so I thought I would give them a try.

The tracer Xtra is the new model, but seems to have about the same guts as the AN, the manual is the same, and uses the same program and cable for setup. Nicer look though, better display, has a cover over the terminals to dress it up a bit, and is available in a 40A model in both 100V and 150V limit. Pic below. Item number XTRA4210N - they're $130 on amazon. InvertersRS also has all of the models on ebay, probly direct too.

I think Victron is a little more solid, and their BT interface is a little slicker, but I also think they do the same job.

Renogy gets a lot of knocks, but I took a chance on a Voyager 10A for the chassis batteries, cuz they're more or less waterproof, and they're cheap.
Anyway, it's been fine too - no profile for lifepo though, but they're SLA's so it's all good.

XTRA-DS1-Front-1-600x600.jpg

I have two of them, a 10A Tracer AN and a 30A Tracer Xtra. They both work just fine. I was trying to decide between them and Victron, and there were enough good reports on the EPEver, and they were half the price, so I thought I would give them a try.

The tracer Xtra is the new model, but seems to have about the same guts as the AN, the manual is the same, and uses the same program and cable for setup. Nicer look though, better display, has a cover over the terminals to dress it up a bit, and is available in a 40A model in both 100V and 150V limit. Pic below. Item number XTRA4210N - they're $130 on amazon. InvertersRS also has all of the models on ebay, probly direct too.
Lots of folks like Victron. I'm not going to run anything bluetooth and not paying for their display. I believe they are changing to include displays but for now Nope to Victron.

I've looked at the various tracers and Xtras. The only thing I wonder is if 100 volts is enough. I'm thinking yes it is. We have no plans to expand beyond the 100 volt threshold for quite some time.

Lots of folks like Victron. I'm not going to run anything bluetooth and not paying for their display. I believe they are changing to include displays but for now Nope to Victron.

I've looked at the various tracers and Xtras. The only thing I wonder is if 100 volts is enough. I'm thinking yes it is. We have no plans to expand beyond the 100 volt threshold for quite some time.

The added cost for the headroom to 150V is so low, I’d suggest you consider future-proofing.

Newer panels now regularly exceed 50V worst-cast Voc, so unless you are certain that you will never need to charge with a 2S array, I’d suggest you consider investing in a 150V SCC…

The added cost for the headroom to 150V is so low, I’d suggest you consider future-proofing.
Yep, that's a good suggestion for most. I might just spend the $$ for extra headroom.
I'm getting too old to handle large panels though and pretty sure 100 watts/20 volts is going to be my favorite panel. I like to tinker with stuff so I know this controller will be set up and torn down in multiple locations as part of a "small system".

I would not hesitate to buy from invertersrus again - got my Xantrex 600w inverter from them for $154. I think they're in las vegas.
Now I'm curious about what kind of retailer they are, they sure do a lot of SEO - they're name comes up on every search. They do carry the full line of controllers, there's over a half dozen of them, just the Xtra models. The Tracer AN is the older version, the BN is really old 150V version with the big heat sink, which are well liked as well.

I would not hesitate to buy from invertersrus again - got my Xantrex 600w inverter from them for $154. I think they're in las vegas.
Now I'm curious about what kind of retailer they are, they sure do a lot of SEO - they're name comes up on every search. They do carry the full line of controllers, there's over a half dozen of them, just the Xtra models. The Tracer AN is the older version, the BN is really old 150V version with the big heat sink, which are well liked as well.
I'm not seeing any upside to the Xtra. Can you point out 1 or 2 things I'm missing?

Back