diy solar

diy solar

EPEver tracer 4215AN won’t charge after lunch.

ProfitBroseph

As title says, I have a Tracer AN series connected to my batteries but after the MPPT reaches some voltage (boost I assume) the current to batteries drops to zero.
If I reset the Tracer 4215AN (open panel AND battery breakers to MPPT) it will begin a normal charge cycle again, boosting to 14v.
It seems the Tracer does not go into float mode.
I cannot get some settings I’m inputting (IE selecting LiFePO4 battery) to stay via bluetooth app changes even selecting WRITE/READ after waiting a minute or a few.

Anyone know what setting(s) I’ve got wonky?

That could be a good thing with Lithium unless you have constant loads.
What voltage are your batteries? Could they have reached full voltage by Noon and then done their usual settling to 13.4 volts?
They are at 13.2v nominal voltage bc my other EPEver BN series MPPT is still charging at >9a.
If I open breaker on BN MPPT voltage drops to 13.1v yet the AN MPPT still does nothing after lunch.
Float voltage is set to 13.4v and Boost reconnect is set to 13.2v.

Last edited:
this is what it’s doing, and what claims my values are for battery/panels

Attachments

• B2EE61DA-478B-4A68-BCC1-865A3F6523BA.png
    B2EE61DA-478B-4A68-BCC1-865A3F6523BA.png
    612.8 KB · Views: 15
What are your boost and flost settings?

The boost reconnect by default is 13.2v
Here are my settings currently.
Note that I can’t get the battery type setting to change to LiFePO4. Not sure what I’ve done but the other parameters are not problematic to change.

Attachments

• 779DC021-F293-44C2-9B28-51115009BB4B.png
    779DC021-F293-44C2-9B28-51115009BB4B.png
    545 KB · Views: 12
  • 1A8725D8-E678-46CD-BB13-500979FD1E33.png
    1A8725D8-E678-46CD-BB13-500979FD1E33.png
    453 KB · Views: 12
Float voltage is set to 13.4v and Boost reconnect is set to 13.2v.
That is a safe Float for Lithium because it is the voltage they settle at. I am not sure what the problem is but if you have two charge controllers they may be messing with each other. If one continues to charge keep track of the voltage and see where it goes before the sun goes down.

That is a safe Float for Lithium because it is the voltage they settle at. I am not sure what the problem is but if you have two charge controllers they may be messing with each other. If one continues to charge keep track of the voltage and see where it goes before the sun goes down.
A single charge controller working between lunch>supper can’t really move my voltage: my bank is 12v 800ah and two 40a SCCs would have to work at near max capacity all evening to “fill” my cells. Voltage isn’t a great indicator of charge for LiFePO4 anyway, but I can tell you that the BN MPPT continuing to charge after lunch at ~20a until dusk is preferable to the AN, which does nothing after lunch.

I am also not sure what the problem is…

Voltage is useful at the upper end which is why we use a voltage setting to terminate charging.
Not useless. But “before the sun goes down” means the SCC is still charging, means the voltage won’t be precise, but FWIW I can tell you my voltage won’t go above 13.3v from 13.15v on a single 12v/40a MPPT.
The only time my battery voltage goes above 13.4v is when both 40a MPPTs are charging near full current: ~80a total.
I am wondering how they are interacting, but using 2 EPEver BNs both would continue to charge and lower current to ~10a as the afternoon wears on, but neither would cease charging completely. Using 1 AN and 1 BN, the AN disconnects charging and the BN continues to behave normally.

Buy an MT50, programming is much easier. I have 4 Epever controllers.

The MT50 is easier than Bluetooth?
I have both devices. The MT50 will not allow me to switch battery type to LiFePO4 at all so I’m not sure how that would help with my second issue IE the Bluetooth software is failing to update battery type from USER to LiFePO4.

As far as my first issue, I’d love to hear what programming issue you think I’m having.
My first issue is that the AN series is turning itself off after lunch, prior to achieving boost voltage. The AN series is not running in float mode at all, even with a 400w load continuous. The AN series seems to be running in boost mode (40a charging) until after noon, then ceasing to charge at all.

The only time my battery voltage goes above 13.4v is when both 40a MPPTs are charging near full current: ~80a total.
Do you have any idea how much energy you take out of your batteries overnight? 80 Amps for a solar day is not trivial. I agree with the suggestion that you might be better off with another charge controller. This thread has confirmed why I am glad my All In One hybrid inverter is doing what it is supposed to do.

Not useless. But “before the sun goes down” means the SCC is still charging, means the voltage won’t be precise, but FWIW I can tell you my voltage won’t go above 13.3v from 13.15v on a single 12v/40a MPPT.
I am wondering how they are interacting, but using 2 EPEver BNs both would continue to charge and lower current to ~10a as the afternoon wears on, but neither would cease charging completely. Using 1 AN and 1 BN, the AN disconnects charging and the BN continues to behave normally.

The MT50 is easier than Bluetooth?
I have both devices. The MT50 will not allow me to switch battery type to LiFePO4 at all so I’m not sure how that would help with my second issue IE the Bluetooth software is failing to update battery type from USER to LiFePO4.

As far as my first issue, I’d love to hear what programming issue you think I’m having.
My first issue is that the AN series is turning itself off after lunch, prior to achieving boost voltage. The AN series is not running in float mode at all, even with a 400w load continuous. The AN series seems to be running in boost mode (40a charging) until after noon, then ceasing to charge at all.
The MT50 does allow me to to set "User defined" which can be anything. This is where you put the LPO4 settings. I am running both the AN and BN series controllers. I will check my settings tonight. Tell me about your batteries, 12 volt or 24 volt? Number of batteries? I am running 12 -100 AH batteries 2S/6P at 24 volts. tell me about your panels? How many, how are they wired? Inverter? size? What are you normally pulling as far as watts? What have your panels produced at best temp and best light as far as watts? Do you know you daily production on your panels as far as watts. You can get that off of your MT50 before midnight each day.

The MT50 does allow me to to set "User defined" which can be anything. This is where you put the LPO4 settings. I am running both the AN and BN series controllers. I will check my settings tonight. Tell me about your batteries, 12 volt or 24 volt? Number of batteries? I am running 12 -100 AH batteries 2S/6P at 24 volts. tell me about your panels? How many, how are they wired? Inverter? size? What are you normally pulling as far as watts? What have your panels produced at best temp and best light as far as watts? Do you know you daily production on your panels as far as watts. You can get that off of your MT50 before midnight each day.
The MT50 doesn’t allow for temperature input (especially on BN series which doesn’t support temp at all), which is a big reason I am switching to the AN.

Battery built of raw cells #8 3.2v LiFePO4 400ah cells wired 2P4S for 12v, 800ah with a 250a Daly Smart BMS.
Panels are #3 250w wired 3S for 750w…I have this setup doubled, once for each SCC for a total of 1500w on my roof. Both sets of 3 panels are wired to 40a EPEver MPPTs, one to an AN series, the other to a BN series.
Inverter/charger is a Xantrex Freedom XC Pro 3000w.
Right now my panels are pulling ~600W at 430p PST.
The Bluetooth reports all data the MT50 reports as far as I know, altho I’m happy to be corrected in anything, and I could definitely check total production if I could get the AN series MPPT to continue producing current after lunch :)

I am drawing 150w continuous during the day but sometimes my kids play Xbox and at night it’s the same story: between Starlink, a digital-inverter fridge, fans, Xbox, 60” TV, and numerous tablets/phones/laptops, I use around 300ah on a normal day. But some days we use the microwave or a blow drier or curler or air conditioner more than others.

I am completely off grid for 2 years in a schoolbus converted to a tiny home.

Do you have any idea how much energy you take out of your batteries overnight? 80 Amps for a solar day is not trivial. I agree with the suggestion that you might be better off with another charge controller. This thread has confirmed why I am glad my All In One hybrid inverter is doing what it is supposed to do.
An MT50 is a device to read/write parameters on the EPEver charge controllers.
I use around 300ah daily on an offgrid mobile setup, sometimes I don’t get much sun due to shade, rain, travel, or a combination of factors thus I would like to keep my cells charged to the top when light is available.

I have a fairly robust setup to go with my moderate usage, and my charge controllers are both rated for 150v and 40a.

At any rate, nobody suggested I use a different charge controller BUT I’m open to suggestions as long as the return window on the new EPEver is open ?

so here’s what I’m wondering
Why is my SCC shutting down after lunch?
Why is my SCC getting unbearably hot at 5pm pushing 14v/40a?
Does anyone know the thermal properties of these SCCs?
When SCC shows 600w from panels, that’s a fair amount of wattage to dissipate as heat energy.
Is there a safety temp shutdown on the EPEver 4215AN?
How much can the SCCs safely dissipate?

Last edited:
The MT50 doesn’t allow for temperature input (especially on BN series which doesn’t support temp at all), which is a big reason I am switching to the AN.

Battery built of raw cells #8 3.2v LiFePO4 400ah cells wired 2P4S for 12v, 800ah with a 250a Daly Smart BMS.
Panels are #3 250w wired 3S for 750w…I have this setup doubled, once for each SCC for a total of 1500w on my roof. Both sets of 3 panels are wired to 40a EPEver MPPTs, one to an AN series, the other to a BN series.
The Bluetooth reports all data the MT50 reports as far as I know, altho I’m happy to be corrected in anything, and I could definitely check total production if I could get the AN series MPPT to continue producing current after lunch :)

I am drawing 150w continuous during the day but sometimes my kids play Xbox and at night it’s the same story: between Starlink, a digital-inverter fridge, fans, Xbox, 60” TV, and numerous tablets/phones/laptops, I use around 300ah on a normal day. But some days we use the microwave or a blow drier or curler or air conditioner more than others.

Ok, first here are my settings that I got from Battleborn for setting up my EPever controllers.
Update for Case SUP21927 - "New Inquiry from Garry Coufal - AC charger for Battleborn Batteries - 2022-01-06 14:50:02"

Good evening,

I will liste the EPever settings below:

Battery Charging SettingUser
Over voltage disconnect voltage14.7V
charging limit voltage14.6V
over voltage reconnect voltage14.6V
Equalize charging voltageOff or 14.4V
Boost charging voltage14.4V
Float charging voltage13.6V
Boost reconnect charging voltage13.3V
Low voltage reconnect voltage12.0V
Under volt. warning volt11.5v or Off
Low volt. disconnect volt.11.0v
Discharging limit voltage10.5 or Off
Equalize duration (min)Off
Boost Duration (min.)180

Next, you say that you have a 4215 AN series of the EPEVER but your pic shows a pic of the 4215 N series? This 40 amp controller has a rating at 12 volts of a max of 520 watts on a 12 volt system? In your statement above shows that you have 750 watts in your string? What is your volts and amps per panel? This will make a difference because you say that you have them assembled in series. Even your 40 amp BN series is rated at 520 watts using a 12 volt system? Are you overpowering the controllers when the sun is at its peak? I am running 3 EPever controllers on one battery bank and am not having any issues of the controllers shutting down but I am running a 24 volt setup and not overpowering the controllers.

If you stay with 12 volt setup you may want to upgrade to a 6415AN to handle your 750 watt strings.
  • Max Input Current: 60 amp; Rate Input Solar Power: 780W(12V); 1560W(24V); 2340W(36V); 3120W(48V)(The maximum input power must not exceed 1.5 times the rated power ); Max input Voltage: 150V; Auto control system to limit the charging power & current go over the rated value.Common NEGATIVE Ground and TROUBLESHOOTING function( fault LED indicator).
  • 60A Mppt Charge Controller support for 4 type Battery charging : Litium, Lead-acid (Sealed, AGM, Gel, Flooded) and User (user couldn’t set Lithium). Battery temperature compensation function to ensure the controller’s life.(The PV input voltage must be at least 2V greater than the battery voltage to charge )
  • RS-485 communication bus interface and Modbus communication protocol, available to meet various communication requirements in different situations.
Or think about changing to a 24 volt battery setup. Then you could keep your controllers, upgrade your batteries and inverter accomplishing an expanded more efficient system.

Last edited:
I am working on a small solar system for our camp trailer. Currently have 1 sok 100ahr battery, will have two rich solar panels on the roof (100w). I am having issues programming epever 50a MPPT controller. Any help? I can't get our laptop it to connect to the controller. Using their supplied usb to cat 5 through their communication port. Software is pretty antiqued.

Anyone have tips to connect to this with a windows 10 pc?

Thanks

I am working on a small solar system for our camp trailer. Currently have 1 sok 100ahr battery, will have two rich solar panels on the roof (100w). I am having issues programming epever 50a MPPT controller. Any help? I can't get our laptop it to connect to the controller. Using their supplied usb to cat 5 through their communication port. Software is pretty antiqued.

Anyone have tips to connect to this with a windows 10 pc?

Thanks
I know that you dont want hear this but buy a MT 50 for programing it. Will has said the same thing. Easy to program with a mt50. But in the meantime you need to supply us some more info. Panel sizes, watt, amps, volts, how are they wired?

Back