diy solar

diy solar

EV Owners chime in please

I was very anti ev until joining this forum.
It’s simply not practical for many of my needs in my situation, but I think if I could find a cheap one with limited range, it could be great for work

We live very rural, 5 miles of dirt road. We are off grid. Work is 30 miles each way. The closest public charging is 150 miles away

Now I am really wanting to find a small crossover type vehicle (ground clearance) with awd or even fwd and a 50-100 mile range.
I think the larger capacity vehicles would just be too much for my off grid system to keep up with as I would invariably end up driving farther, utilizing more range, and not be able to refill both my home bank and the car batteries

Then I thought maybe an off road golf cart for trips to ace and the grocery and what not haha.
Either way, I’d really love to figure out a cheap way to store more energy and have “free” in town travel
Its called a Hybrid. Gas for long distance, and electric for around town. No anxiety.
All EV's should have a gas option for now, until the infrastructure is available for all electric. Just common sense.

Its called a Hybrid. Gas for long distance, and electric for around town. No anxiety.
All EV's should have a gas option for now, until the infrastructure is available for all electric. Just common sense.
I’d do a PHEV, but they are still costly. A traditional hybrid doesn’t really interest me. I’d just drive a diesel Jetta

To me the hybrid is just not worth it. All of the advantages of battery powered goes out the window when you add a motor in.

1. No maintenance. Since tune ups, oil changes, filters and belts are involved that kills that with a hybrid.

2. Less to break down. With a hybrid you gain no reliability and added something else to fail and leave you stranded by having an engine and a battery setup to contend with.

It’s simply not practical for many of my needs in my situation, but I think if I could find a cheap one with limited range, it could be great for work

We live very rural, 5 miles of dirt road. We are off grid. Work is 30 miles each way. The closest public charging is 150 miles away

Now I am really wanting to find a small crossover type vehicle (ground clearance) with awd or even fwd and a 50-100 mile range.
I think the larger capacity vehicles would just be too much for my off grid system to keep up with as I would invariably end up driving farther, utilizing more range, and not be able to refill both my home bank and the car batteries

Then I thought maybe an off road golf cart for trips to ace and the grocery and what not haha.
Either way, I’d really love to figure out a cheap way to store more energy and have “free” in town travel
IMO, Vehicle to Grid is going to be a gamechanger in the economics for people like us. Huge battery bank to soak up days with extra solar, huge capacity to help get through dark days. Ability to (once you get a charging station nearby, and you will) go fill up if you ever have equipment failure or hit a particularly low production time and just need an extra 50kWh.

Will be amazing. It already sorta exists with the vehicles that have a nema 15-50 port - theoretically you can hook that up to a gen port on most capable inverters and pull at some rate, it's just not as user friendly.

I had an EV until it was totalled (not my fault). Took the settlement and bought 2 hybrids. I would have liked PHEV, but too expensive. It is nice to sit with the ac on and not have the engine running.

I look at the hybrid as boosting the efficiency of the ICE. PHEV is more like an ICE boosted EV. From an environment point of view, it is like 1 EV vs 50 hybrids in terms of battery pollution. The environmental benefits of 50 hybrids is much more than 1 EV.

To me the hybrid is just not worth it. All of the advantages of battery powered goes out the window when you add a motor in.

1. No maintenance. Since tune ups, oil changes, filters and belts are involved that kills that with a hybrid.

2. Less to break down. With a hybrid you gain no reliability and added something else to fail and leave you stranded by having an engine and a battery setup to contend with.

A hybrid could be designed so it was drivable if either electric or ICE worked.
That could be the case for a front-wheel drive vehicle with electric rear wheels, if transmission tolerated being pushed. Or add electric pump to an automatic for lubrication.

An electric car with ICE range extender could work too.
I think it could be a 50 mile EV, option to drop in range extender or 100+ mile extra battery.

Volt specified 3000 mile engine maintenance regardless of how many were on gas. To keep dealers happy?
Should be every 100 hours of range-extender operation. If propane (Blue Rhino tank swap), then no issue with fuel rotting.

Ideally something with two way charging so you can charge the EV with extra solar but then pull from the EV when the house batteries are low. F150 lightening does this and Will posted a video of him trying it which was interesting. Was exactly my thought, go to free charging station or RV park and fill up on power then go home and dump power.

a large EV RV might be that high but a van is going to be closer to 500 watt/mile and there is years of data from the e-transit and e-sprinter that support this.
E-transit is 68kwh battery and 108 miles with the taller roof. That's like 630w/m empty. Add a roof rack and couple thousand pounds of rv supplies and you're closer to 80. Again yes under 1kw/mile for a van but a Class C or class A rv will be around1.5kw/mile range. At highway speeds its more about aerodynamics than weight.

E-transit is designed for like walmart to make a delivery then plug in for a few then make another. Perfect for quick trips

Ideally something with two way charging so you can charge the EV with extra solar but then pull from the EV when the house batteries are low. F150 lightening does this and Will posted a video of him trying it which was interesting. Was exactly my thought, go to free charging station or RV park and fill up on power then go home and dump power.
That is theft. Someone is paying that electric bill.

This is why I went with 100% EV for my daily driver.

That is theft. Someone is paying that electric bill.
No its not. Campgrounds you're paying for the site and electric is included so I'm paying for it. And EV charging stations that are free are offered for free.

Just because I plan on using resources more effectively than others doesn't mean it's theft.

Campgrounds you're paying for the site and electric is included so I'm paying for it.
I have had mixed results trying to use campground services. Some seem to be wise to how much power an EV can use in a few hours and refuse to let an EV park there. Others don't care but it is hit and miss and I have decided to not rely on that kind of charging, especially if a DC fast charger is available nearby.

I have had mixed results trying to use campground services. Some seem to be wise to how much power an EV can use in a few hours and refuse to let an EV park there. Others don't care but it is hit and miss and I have decided to not rely on that kind of charging, especially if a DC fast charger is available nearby.
I have a huge metallic 40ft prevost bus with 6 AC units and no ones said anything about my power usage yet. I could see someone saying something about an EV but it's one of those ask forgiveness and not permission.

E-transit is 68kwh battery and 108 miles with the taller roof. That's like 630w/m empty. Add a roof rack and couple thousand pounds of rv supplies and you're closer to 80. Again yes under 1kw/mile for a van but a Class C or class A rv will be around1.5kw/mile range. At highway speeds its more about aerodynamics than weight.

E-transit is designed for like walmart to make a delivery then plug in for a few then make another. Perfect for quick trips
and the low roof "gets 126 miles" for 539 w/mi, however, those are USA's guess-o-meter-made-up numbers, looking at the UK they say the high roof gets 166 miles or 409 w/mi. the e-sprinter has 455 w/mi.

but you are right the e-transit with as is with only 68 kwh battery is not suitable as an RV

I agree. A hybrid is more complicated than either an ICE or an EV. The only thing it actually accomplishes is reduce the anxiety of people who have range anxiety. For them it is worth it.
I think the traditional prius type hybrid is dead. PHEV is the way forward for those not willing to commit to EV. 20-50mile EV range then gas if ever needed.

The biggest unanswered question is what happens to gas prices when demand drops 80%? Even PHEV like the wrangle 4xe has a massive effect on fuel as they have to use like 80%+ less fuel. I'm assuming we'll have massive price fluctuation and possible huge price increases with such a huge shift in the supply/demand curve. Also curious on what percentage of semi's transport gas and how that'll affect the diesel pricing. Economist brain coming out :)

The biggest unanswered question is what happens to gas prices when demand drops 80%?
We will be able to see that roll out in the other places where EV adoption is greater. Some people already suggest that China will hit peak oil in the next year or two. I am sure that is already the case in Norway. I think there is still a lot of crude oil production going into plastic and other chemical industries. I think the industry will adapt. Historically Rockefeller was opposed to Edison's electric light bulb because at that time Rockefeller's fortune was based on kerosene as a lighting source. Gasoline was a volitile byproduct of kerosene refining and was typically thrown away. The the automobile changed that and Rockefeller's fortune grew even larger based on gasoline refining and distribution.

The biggest unanswered question is what happens to gas prices when demand drops 80%?

Prices skyrocket as refineries go bankrupt.

Have you tried to get film developed ... lately?

Back