diy solar

diy solar

Export Limit with Growatt inverters?

Found this: https://solaravm.com/images/uploaded/Growatt Pdf/Growatt-Smart-Meter-SPM-TPM-CT.pdf

So the SPM-CT-E is a one-phase CT-sensor-based energy meter that communicates with a Growatt inverter through RA485 so that the inverter can be configured for zero export.

I’m very curious whether we have any members who have purchased one of these Growatt energy meters and gotten this zero-export capability working yet.

Nice find. I didn’t know growatt had the ability for zero export. Is also says the hybrid model has the “meter” built in and only Cts are needed

Nice find. I didn’t know growatt had the ability for zero export. Is also says the hybrid model has the “meter” built in and only Cts are needed
Hadn’t noticed that - sounds like the exact capability of the SUN 1000/2000G2 (as compared to the 1000/2000G1 models that required an ‘external’ CT sensor meaning an external box with some electronics similar to Growatt’s ‘Energy Meter’).

Was there a specific model number for the hybrid model with integrated CT interface?

From the link you shared above

Attachments

• 8B979E31-6D76-4F18-949C-8BAA59AE9657.png
    8B979E31-6D76-4F18-949C-8BAA59AE9657.png
    321.4 KB · Views: 112
Take it back - here is the manual for US SPH Growatt models: http://www.growatt-america.com/upload/file/contents/2020/04/5e8dde455f9e9.pdf

And here are the US models on Growatt US’s website: http://www.growatt-america.com/show-9-635.html

3kW to 6kW but 240V only…

And here is an outfit in Illinois selling the 6kW SPH6000TL BL-US inverter for $2600: https://www.zebsolar.com/products/j97bc44e01/2051128000001561001

The SPH BL-US models seem to be reasonably new (August 2020 ‘review’): https://www.solarreviews.com/manufacturers/growatt-new-energy/solar-inverters/iwqnebmjsd

Last edited:
It’s showing 2 CTs wired together if you look at E. That’s what I do with the GTIL2s to allow their 240v to limit correctly.

But the other pic is showing a meter. The inverter in the pic doesn’t look like the sph model from your first link.

The inverter in the USA link is shown installed with a transformer to get splitphase

Attachments

• 700F033A-9EF4-4633-B2F5-853AB221EEAF.png
    700F033A-9EF4-4633-B2F5-853AB221EEAF.png
    285.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 27636932-6362-4369-BA08-E8BD031415B1.png
    27636932-6362-4369-BA08-E8BD031415B1.png
    320.6 KB · Views: 77
It’s showing 2 CTs wired together if you look at E. That’s what I do with the GTIL2s to allow their 240v to limit correctly.

But the other pic is showing a meter. The inverter in the pic doesn’t look like the sph model from your first link.

The inverter in the USA link is shown installed with a transformer to get splitphase
Good catch.

With a dual CT, you are correctly measuring full 240V consumption (despite imbalance).

With an Autotransformer, you are correctly able to serve unbalanced split-phase 120V loads from 240V output (up to the maximum capacity of the Autotransformer).

Looks as though Growatthas been working on product offerings to compete with Solark for a while (and I’m just surprised I haven’t seen any discussion of this capability anywhere before…).

Also, did you notice that the Secifications page 54 list:

‘UL 1741: 2018, CSA C22.2 No.107.1:2016’

And here is a guy who purchased an SPH6000TL BL-US here in the US from last May: https://forum.solar-electric.com/di...rowatt-sph6000-hybrid-inverter-it-wont-hybrid

And even a thread from this April on the Growatt SPH here on the Forum: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/growatt-sph-series-inverter-battery-bms-protocol.21829/

Last edited:
Hi,

I have the SPH3000 hybrid inverter installed, with an Eastron Sdm230 (the inverter came with a simple clamp meter, but the Eastron was installed as it's far more reliable). I can enable zero export through Growatt site easily - never done it, as I don't really need to (and have some advantages in feeding back to the grid) - screenshot attached.

Attachments

• Sem Título.jpg
    Sem Título.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 83
Good catch.

With a dual CT, you are correctly measuring full 240V consumption (despite imbalance).

With an Autotransformer, you are correctly able to serve unbalanced split-phase 120V loads from 240V output (up to the maximum capacity of the Autotransformer).

Looks as though Growatthas been working on product offerings to compete with Solark for a while (and I’m just surprised I haven’t seen any discussion of this capability anywhere before…).

Also, did you notice that the Secifications page 54 list:

‘UL 1741: 2018, CSA C22.2 No.107.1:2016’

And here is a guy who purchased an SPH6000TL BL-US here in the US from last May: https://forum.solar-electric.com/di...rowatt-sph6000-hybrid-inverter-it-wont-hybrid

And even a thread from this April on the Growatt SPH here on the Forum: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/growatt-sph-series-inverter-battery-bms-protocol.21829/
Looks like the fella from May didn’t get any help..

Hi,

I have the SPH3000 hybrid inverter installed, with an Eastron Sdm230 (the inverter came with a simple clamp meter, but the Eastron was installed as it's far more reliable). I can enable zero export through Growatt site easily - never done it, as I don't really need to (and have some advantages in feeding back to the grid) - screenshot attached.
So you confirm that the SPH supports zero-export using an in-line sensor but requires communication with a Growatt online configure application to get it set up properly?

Was the CT-style sensor unusable or you were just interested in the highest-accuracy and/or highest-reliability sensor possible?

Can I ask where you purchased your SPH inverter and what you think of the build quality and performance? I’m especially interested in how noisy the inverter is in fee sustained load - are the cooling fans loud when they kick-on?

And lastly, could you comment on your overall architecture? Are you using the inverter to deliver split-phase power with an Autotransformer?

Looks like the fella from May didn’t get any help..
Yeah, support is certainly a factor to consider before buying, but I’m still trying to figure out where to purchase these SPH models, how much they cost, and whether they deliver good value/performance-for-money…

I bought my 2 SUN GTILs in January and had no idea these Growatt SPHs existed at that time. They seem surprisingly hard to track down and I’m kind of surprised they have not gotten more attention here on the Forum. They appear to be at least as capable as the Deye Hybrid’s everyone is crying about (now that they are no longer being offered here in the US)…

First of all, I'm from Europe - Portugal, to be precise. I bought from a local installer, with 5 x 455w Q.Cells G9.3 panels. No battery yet, but planning to add it.

We have 230v grid back here, and my system is injecting the surplus in the grid, as there are some advantages - a 15 minute based net metering, as well as the possibility of selling the surplus. In Europe electricity fees are sky high, and as crazy as it may sound, the last few months the electricity that I buy from the grid is cheaper than the one I sell back - it's obviously unsustainable...

The inverter is 100% quiet, as it has passive cooling (no fans whatsoever). It has IP65 rating - I have it installed in a balcony, with no direct sunlight (facing north) or rain. I am pleased with it's functionality and performance - a surplus is that Growatt is now offering a 10 year warranty.

The Eastron SDM230 was suggested by the installer as being more precise and reliable, especially for when a battery is added, so I went along with it.

Last edited:
So you confirm that the SPH supports zero-export using an in-line sensor but requires communication with a Growatt online configure application to get it set up properly?

Was the CT-style sensor unusable or you were just interested in the highest-accuracy and/or highest-reliability sensor possible?

Can I ask where you purchased your SPH inverter and what you think of the build quality and performance? I’m especially interested in how noisy the inverter is in fee sustained load - are the cooling fans loud when they kick-on?

And lastly, could you comment on your overall architecture? Are you using the inverter to deliver split-phase power with an Autotransformer?
Yes, you'd have to buy a dongle that connects to the inverter and is capable to connect to your local wifi network, so you can monitor the production, and this way, through Growatt server, you can select 0 export.

First of all, I'm from Europe - Portugal, to be precise. I bought from a local installer, with 5 x 455w Q.Cells G9.3 panels. No battery yet, but planning to add it.

We have 230v grid back here, and my system is injecting the surplus in the grid, as there are some advantages - a 15 minute based net metering, as well as the possibility of selling the surplus. In Europe electricity fees are sky high, and as crazy as it may sound, the last few months the electricity that I buy from the grid is cheaper than the one I sell back - it's obviously unsustainable...
OK, so your setup is single-phase @ 230V / 50Hz.
The inverter is 100% quiet, as it has passive cooling (no fans whatsoever). It has IP65 rating - I have it installed in a balcony, with no direct sunlight (facing north) or rain. I am pleased with it's functionality and performance - a surplus is that Growatt is now offering a 10 year warranty.
No fans and 100% quiet is great, as long as you are comfortable the unit stays cool enough, even under peak load - what is the maximum sustained load you have supplied with your SPH6000?
The Eastron SDM230 was suggested by the installer as being more precise and reliable, especially for when a battery is added, so I went along with it.
Understand. If you have easy access to the mains wires after the utility meter and before the first loads, an in-line meter is great.

I don’t have any access there, so CT-style sensor on the mains wires is my only option.

Does you Easyron communicate with your SPH through wireless or wired (RS485)?

Yes, you'd have to buy a dongle that connects to the inverter and is capable to connect to your local wifi network, so you can monitor the production, and this way, through Growatt server, you can select 0 export.
Just to be clear, will a WiFi dongle allow you to configure the inverter locally (through a local PC) or does it require communication to the cloud (only works if an internet connection communicating with a Growatt server is available)?

My unit is the SPH3000, not the 6000. In July, when the system was installed, the peak production was about 2000w - with 2275w panels I produced a bit over 15kWh daily. The unit is fairly cool when working, as it is in a well vented area with no direct sunlight.
The communication with the Easton is by RS485 - I read recent that there is supposedly a similar wireless solution, but lately it's not working with hybrid inverters.
Most of the configuration can be made in the inverter, but it's easier through Growatt's server. I believe the dongle needs to be connected to the internet and the configuration must be made through Growatt's server, but as the system was installed by the company that I bought it from, I didn't really pay attention.
The build quality looks good - but it's Chinese... When they installed, the LCD screen and buttons weren't working - the ribbon connecting then to the main board wasn't properly attached. The installer made a joke that they included a hex key in the package so the installer could fix it right away...

Back