diy solar

diy solar

Extend JK bms Bluetooth or other options

Cheap 4-life

My body is 2.63 trillion volts, .07v per cell
The JK Bluetooth doesn’t even reach the living room of a small house roughly 30ft from the bms. yeah it’s a couple walls in the way but still ?.. Is it possible to use a Bluetooth extender? Looks like the extender antenna I have has a usb. Might be a stupid question but not the first time i’ve asked one. Can I plug that up to the JK bms LCD screen port? Would that help the Bluetooth signal at all?
Is there any other options using the rs485 port any port or with WiFi so I can sit in the living room chair and look at the JK info on my pad? Thanks for any assistance..

Last edited:
An option is to have a Raspberry Pi or similar sitting near the BMS and running https://github.com/jblance/mpp-solar as well as grafana directly on the Pi. The mpp-solar package has a jkbms part to it that deciphers the jk bms data and you can then pass it on to whatever you want. You can then do stuff like this:
Screenshot 2022-11-04 at 10.19.14 PM.png

I really wish I could understand what your talking about.. Not much experience with all that techy stuff..
What do you mean by running those things directly on the Raspberry Pi? How does it get passed on? Does it use WiFi instead? Thanks for your time. I understand if it is to much to explain to someone with as little knowledge as I have regarding this

Most(all?) Raspberry Pis have built-in Bluetooth and most have Wifi and/or ethernet. So the Pi talks to the JK BMS over Bluetooth to get the data about the BMS every so many seconds. Once the data is on the Pi you can run other software that can manipulate/display it over the Raspberry Pi's Wifi or ethernet connection..

Most(all?) Raspberry Pis have built-in Bluetooth and most have Wifi and/or ethernet. So the Pi talks to the JK BMS over Bluetooth to get the data about the BMS every so many seconds. Once the data is on the Pi you can run other software that can manipulate/display it over the Raspberry Pi's Wifi or ethernet connection..
Is the Pi automatically able to get the data from the bms? How much does the Pi cost with this ability? Which software would you recommend? Is any of it free?

The JK Bluetooth doesn’t even reach the living room of a small house roughly 30ft from the bms
You might try repositioning the battery if possible. It could be that the way the bluetooth antenna is aiming the signal has to travel through the cells in the battery. Sometimes a small turn can make a huge difference.

I posted this on another thread, just came accross yours:

"Im now looking into this myself, if you dont mind the price, this may work:

If your ok with taking apart the bms, this will probably work? - presumably you may need a different type of antenna for ble?

My other idea was to use an old phone connected to the bms via bluetooth but also in range of wifi, then use a phone mirroring app to send the phones screen via wifi to my phone in the house.. Wont be able to actually alter the settings, but still view them. - UNLESS - another idea just popped into my head.. - if there is an android app that allows remote access, could access the phone near the bms via wifi to view and change settings..."

Or use a cheap wifi camera (assuming you have wifi near the bms - 2g wifi will prob go furthest) to point at the bms screen and view it on phones etc.

You might try repositioning the battery if possible. It could be that the way the bluetooth antenna is aiming the signal has to travel through the cells in the battery. Sometimes a small turn can make a huge difference.
Battery isn’t movable. It’s 19 cells in series. Bms is attached to the wall higher than the batteries.

Depending on if you have an inverter that has on line access and is capable, why not link JK bms to inverter, then you can view critical bms data from anywhere in the world.
I have victron multiplus-ii and JK bms linked together and works a treat.
Have a look here " https://github.com/Louisvdw/dbus-serialbattery" and see.

That would be great. Unfortunately my cheap inverters do not have capabilities to link a bms to them.

I posted this on another thread, just came accross yours:

"Im now looking into this myself, if you dont mind the price, this may work:

If your ok with taking apart the bms, this will probably work? - presumably you may need a different type of antenna for ble?

My other idea was to use an old phone connected to the bms via bluetooth but also in range of wifi, then use a phone mirroring app to send the phones screen via wifi to my phone in the house.. Wont be able to actually alter the settings, but still view them. - UNLESS - another idea just popped into my head.. - if there is an android app that allows remote access, could access the phone near the bms via wifi to view and change settings..."

The seller did mention taking apart the bms and adding an antenna. Not liking having to take it apart. They should make the thing atleast Bluetooth across normal size homes..
I have IOS not android.

Or use a cheap wifi camera (assuming you have wifi near the bms - 2g wifi will prob go furthest) to point at the bms screen and view it on phones etc.

The bms doesn’t come with a screen. I could purchase one for it so the camera is an option I’ll think about.

Turns out that I don’t need to look at the bms as much as I originally thought I would. Now that everything’s setup and running well I can just rarely get closer to the battery to check on it. Still would be nice to check battery voltage whenever easier from the couch

Depending on if you have an inverter that has on line access and is capable, why not link JK bms to inverter, then you can view critical bms data from anywhere in the world.
I have victron multiplus-ii and JK bms linked together and works a treat.
Have a look here " https://github.com/Louisvdw/dbus-serialbattery" and see.
Wow. ... I have a Techy history, ... and this is what I want to learn about; linking a BMS w Inverter, then view critical data from anywhere one has Internet access. ... I will mark that link to study. Any other study links will be welcome. ... for this arena, ... I am a newby wonder what might be the easiest way? ... hoping my PC laptop will be part of.

Cool., Looks Great. So; ... You can look at that from anywhere there is Internet ??? ... I will check it out :+) I would like to be able to look at what is going on remotely for my dear friend who I building a grid backup system for; who is somewhat challenged by techy details. I wonder if you can adjust any setting over the internet (not essential) ??? ... This look very promising to me; Got my attention. Thanks :+)

I wonder if you can adjust any setting over the internet (not essential) ??? ...
Yes you can, if you have VenusOS it can be connected to VRM and you can enable two way communication over the internet, which allows you can make changes to any supported hardware that is connected.

Have a look at this

Andy on off grid garage also has a YouTube you could search for.

Yes you can, if you have VenusOS it can be connected to VRM and you can enable two way communication over the internet, which allows you can make changes to any supported hardware that is connected.

Have a look at this

Andy on off grid garage also has a YouTube you could search for.
I scanned the article; must say it is educational and interesting. I have other priorities on my plate to jump on this newer curiosity of mine. Have PC and Android and WiFi Internet Network experience. What I hope to manage is a JK BMS and maybe a EG4- 3000 EHV-48 (if possible) ...over the internet, for a grid back up system I am installing at my non tech savvy girlfriends' house. Not been getting to know computer software tracking software yet; been using info from all in one's LCD screens, and from my BMS screens to monitor my home solar set up. No current Victron equipment, but open to learning these options. Appreciating this Thread ??⛵?

Last edited:
Back