diy solar

diy solar

Eyedro Monitor shows usage rather than decrease when panels are on?

mmm33732

I'm trying to figure this out. I've been using eyedro to monitor electrical usage for years now from the grid. The sensors are on the main lugs coming from the meter as they should be. Now the odd thing is when I connect PVs on micro inverters which are then grid tied, it shows an increase or consumption rather than a decrease. For instance, it will show the house is using say 1kw from the grid. When I connect the solar panels and micro inverts (that show they are making say 500w), the eyedro now shows the total usage to be at 1.5kw rather than dropping to 0.5kw. This would make sense to me if I was making more than using and it does not know the direction of flow, however I am not, so a grid tied system as in the case should show a reduction of usage from the grid at the main lugs. Also, the meter still shows energy being imported rather than exported (via the directional indicator), as it should. Any ideas?

Last edited:
See the attached pic. I had the microinverters on which were pushing around 550w. They are only on phase A which is the orange graph. (Phase B is blue). I turned them off and you can see eyedro showed a power use reduction (opposite of what it should). I turned them back on again and as they ramped up, you can see the eyedro once again showed the opposite of what it should and showed more power was being consumed when it should show less is being pulled from the meter's main legs. Oddly as they went on, Phase B also showed an increase rather than just being isolated to phase A as expected. Again, the home is still consuming/using/burning more power than those 550ish watts the mircos were making so it's not that the CTs just don't know of the directional flow. The eyedro just shows the opposite of what it should with solar hooked up to the grid. Ideas??
Capture.PNG

Back