diy solar

diy solar

Feast or Famine, The off grid solar dilemma.

Haha yes I've done that more than once to the mrs

Look into temperature balancing valves. My shower had one, worked great for years but eventually plugged up. Gotta disassemble and get the mechanism moving again. I did have strainers in both lines.

listen here mate , unlike most of you lot I was born AFTER the invention of the disposable razor. ... Lol .

Disgusting

I was born before shaving down there was a thing.
Who likes stubble scratching their face?

(I don't shave either)

Poor pigeons were just trying to hide from the sparrowawk.

Look into temperature balancing valves. My shower had one, worked great for years but eventually plugged up. Gotta disassemble and get the mechanism moving again. I did have strainers in both lines.

(I don't shave either)

Poor pigeons were just trying to hide from the sparrowawk.

It grosses me out when that happens because I like'em fresh.

listen here mate , unlike most of you lot I was born AFTER the invention of the disposable razor. ... Lol .

Disgusting

I guess if you both have beards there won't be any irritation... NO! Just NO! ?

(I don't shave either)

Marines for 16 years, we used to trim 'down there'.

Ever run 10 or 15 miles regularly, or march 25 miles in full battle rattle with a jungle 'down there'?

LOTS of irritation/raw skin if you do. Sweat is NOT a lubricant...

I've been out of the military for over 30 years, still have places pulled out hair won't grow...

while the hair on my head thins out, I keep finding hair in my mouth... Is it falling through?
Can I get ahold of both ends and use it as 'Mental Floss'?

And who the hell thought making the hair in your nose, in & on your ears going into overdrive was a good idea as you age...

Assuming 'Intellegant Design', I want to see whoever came up with that idea...

I have a few choice words about losing 10,000 brain cells a day, but my damned skin keeps growing!
Pretty soon I'll be able to pull my turkey neck up behind my head and use it for a pillow! ?

Last edited:

(I don't shave either)

It’s the little creature comforts in life;View attachment 150955

Grandpa taught me how to shave with a straight razor. He used a 'Safety' razor (aka: skin remover) with blades on both sides...

Now I'm his age then, with extra skin and wrinkles, I know why he stopped using a straight razor.

One of my creature comforts/indulgences in life is those multi-blade razors with a swivel head.
Still chaps my ass I can't sharpen them much, but at least I don't cut my own throat! (Its the small things in life!)

Since I shave in the shower, I never thought an electric razor was a good idea... I don't take radios or space heaters in the shower with me either.
It's a shower, not a suicide booth!

Ever run 10 or 15 miles regularly, or march 25 miles in full battle rattle with a jungle 'down there'?

LOTS of irritation/raw skin if you do. Sweat is NOT a lubricant...

Yuk ... Lol

If you two are gonna start sharing 'manscaping' tips , I'm off to another thread

Haha yes I've done that more than once to the mrs

It also means that our hot water isn't potable, generally those tanks are filthy in the lofts , they have lids on but never put back on properly , finding dead pigeons swimming in it is not unheard of !
Eeeewwwwww …gross….

Grandpa taught me how to shave with a straight razor. He used a 'Safety' razor (aka: skin remover) with blades on both sides...

I used a straight razor (single-sided) too. Art Nouveau lady carved in ivory handle - I appreciate the finer things in life.

But I later decided "Live and Let Live", where my beard grows thick I let it. I use a cordless trimmer with attachment to keep length reasonable, and without attachment to trim around that and keep the shape uniform.

Pandemic and masks, I let it run wild and looked like a street person underneath.

One of my creature comforts/indulgences in life is those multi-blade razors with a swivel head.
Still chaps my ass I can't sharpen them much, but at least I don't cut my own throat! (Its the small things in life!)

Since I shave in the shower, I never thought an electric razor was a good idea... I don't take radios or space heaters in the shower with me either.
It's a shower, not a suicide booth!

There are alternatives.
If it's good enough for NASA, it's good enough for you!

How long can you realistically get along without electricity?
I live in the city and work full time just to give perspective. And no snow or freezing ever.
24 hours would be inconvenient.
After that it would be the other utilities (gas, water) that would drive me out to find livable conditions.

So it really depends on how many days food and water were available. I don't need every convenience if times are difficult. Worst case I would have a plan to bail out.

200 gallons of weight pushing down on that low outlet water

its pretty much only the height of water that creates pressure, not the volume of the water.
think about swimming to the bottom of an inground pool and the pressure you experience.
to get that same volume of water above you when swimming in the ocean you wouldnt have to go down far. but you dont get crazy pressure in the ocean just because there is a huge volume of water above you, its all about the depth

if youre draining a container it will be fast when you start, and slower near the end, giving the impression its the volume of water pushing down on the outlet, but as you drain it, the distance from the outlet to the highest point of water changes as well. and its this change that causes the drop in pressure.

I was living by this and pretty much positive about it, but its pretty counter intuitive so I did have to google "does water volume or height create pressure" before posting this

Fun fact, the pressure from a tank of water sprays out a nozzle with velocity sufficient to reach level of water in tank (neglecting air resistance and drag in pipes.) that is, same velocity you would get dropping a rock from level of water to nozzle.
Useful to calculate velocity & RPM for a Pelton wheel. (impeller velocity is 1/2 water velocity, so water reverses direction and exits with zero velocity, all energy transferred.)

If you want to calculate how much height of water to psi simply use .434psi/ft. Ex. 10ft is 4.34psi By and large you want about 25psi to operate toilets and provide a reasonable flow rate from fixtures. This equates to 57.6 ft elevation above outlet point.

If you want to calculate how much height of water to psi simply use .434psi/ft. Ex. 10ft is 4.34psi By and large you want about 25psi to operate toilets and provide a reasonable flow rate from fixtures. This equates to 57.6 ft elevation above outlet point.

There is some useful information.

Explains why I needed to adjust the spring pressure on the toilet tank valve.

I really didn't care at that point, I had an indoor toilet! ?

Up here in the sticks , we call it “ Head” ….as in Head pressure”
my spring has 80 ft of Head by the time the water gets down to my tank and fixture manifold..I figured out that was high enough to give me about 35 to 40 psi …I didn’t know the math as some of you do but I knew it felt right when using it…thanks for validating my sence of feel.

volumes of water or “ width of water “ can assist in gpm of flow at a given pressure.depending on opening area , but highth of water determines preasure ..
A very old Raccoon taught me this years ago, so I KNOW it’s so…. He wouldn’t lie to me..

Back