diy solar

diy solar

feedback: this forum has convinced me not to build a solar system.

My wife used AI to create a birthday card for me :love:

Here is the inspiration
View attachment 227812
Yeah that's where it starts then you got AI's planning your meals scheduling appointments updating your profile and then you wake up one day and realize that an AI has stolen your identity but that's OK we live in a world that revolves a virtual world called the internet where you can be who or what you want to be.

That being said any of us could be an AI and it would probably matter none the less

Yeah that's where it starts then you got AI's planning your meals scheduling appointments updating your profile and then you wake up one day and realize that an AI has stolen your identity but that's OK we live in a world that revolves a virtual world called the internet where you can be who or what you want to be.

That being said any of us could be an AI and it would probably matter none the less

We are all soooo screwed

I tell you I don't feel like myself after looking at that photo you posted
I swear there's coded messages in there
I think an AI is trying to take over my brain
Seriously though I don't think any more damage could be done worse than it could happen I could forget who I am and then what would I care🙃🤪

Hi, just wanted to leave some feedback here. You have all provided some great advice and wisdom and I appreciate it.

I have been watching solar for 20 years wondering when is the right time to go.

I believed that now the high price of electricity ($0.30/kwh), low price of panels, reasonable price of batteries, and advancements in inverter/battery electronics and all-weather capability had finally hit the sweet spot.

This forum has convinced me that is not the case.

In my area it seems my options are
1. To execute some sort of agreement with the power company, which would be cost prohibitive and take years in my area.
2. To extend my purchase budget way way up and purchase ~triple the panels and battery capacity that I need, in order that I could safely go completely off-grid without worrying about running short on power.

Neither of these options yield a return on investment that would make solar worthwhile, and that is greatly disappointing to me.
If you play by the rules the pocos want you to, they make money off your investmant instantly. You sell them power at a small fraction of the cost they charge you to buy it back. You may have to wait a decade to recover your cost.
If you let their rules guide your decision, you'd be better off financialy by using your money to buy stock in the pocos.
A lot of people on this forum have achieved full payback in as little as 2 years, myself among them.

watts247 has some 4th of July specials like:
10kw LFP and 10kw hybrid inverter for $3999
add 5kw solar and this could easily absorb 80% of an average power bill most of the year
plus has a lot of added benefits like peak shaving, 2 load outputs, 15kw 4 pv inputs, 5yr warranty, outdoor rated, and stackable. just to name a few.

Ya lost me there I think there's coded messages in that picture. Where do you find this sh*t anyways? 🤪
Haaaa. Go up and down the ditch ( waterway) around Ft Lauderdale on weekend and you will probably see this ………or these day even worse..

Nope sorry you won't find me there it's the marsh for me
I'll take alligators and snakes over pollatitians and boat ramp drama any day

You are right about the boat ramp drama. We get up at 4:30 am and are out the inlet by 6am. Back home with a cooler of fish by 4pm to bathe in the cement pond. Love the pics, reminds me of Yoda and the force. Don't do well with mosquitoes though. Would love to travel and see all these wonderful places. Get away from the big cities.

I'm going to have to put solar on the boat to make it relevant.

Boy did we get off topic, Say hello to my little friend, The Tax Man. He always gets his share.
1720658912027.png

Last edited:
Quote: When everything goes wrong that's when adventure begins. Mark Twain

Memories are not made riding the couch and tidy whitey's and a wife beater

So get off your ass and go have an adventure
20210101_120750.jpg20210103_114946.jpg20210104_171630.jpg I had a wheelbarrow and seize up 70 miles from home 8 miles from the highway back in the woods. I find these challenges quite enjoyable. Don't ask me why
I had 11 tire failures in 2023 between Florida and South Carolina over the course of 15000 miles I was alone every time average downtime was 8 minutes except for the one that ripped my heater core lines out from under the Van that took a little bit longer.
20230807_053445.jpg20230814_120957.jpg

Last edited:
The EG4 "all weather" battery has no environmental specifications, how do you know your outside winter temperatures are within it's operational range? And while it says something about a heater, what is the power draw on that??.

I would never install battery's outdoors, best case is huge reduction of capacity and large tar loads to keep it from freezing.

The EG4 "all weather" battery has no environmental specifications, how do you know your outside winter temperatures are within it's operational range? And while it says something about a heater, what is the power draw on that??.

I would never install battery's outdoors, best case is huge reduction of capacity and large tar loads to keep it from freezing.
I'd be more concerned with them baking in a hot metal box outside in the summer, as they only heat and don't cool.

Nothing should have a 20 month lead time, ought to be able to select in-stock alternatives.

8000W of panels because that's the recommended amount for inverter?
4000W per MPPT it says, I'd go for at least 6000W each, in the form of 2x 3000W arrays/strings of different orientations wired in parallel. That should put out 4000W for several hours rather than just peak.
STC ratings are only achieved under bright cool conditions. Otherwise maybe 70% to 90% in direct sun.
So I'd like to put 12kW to 15kW (STC) of panels on it. More panels for times of less light.
If the MPPT circuits are weak, they may not like that. Aiming for "NOMINAL MPPT VOLTAGE 320 VDC" might reduce the stress.

diy solar

diy solar
Back