diy solar

diy solar

few questions about solar power....

The PWM can only do its job if the correct battery type is programed. Or the correct voltage for 100%. It should have a battery type setting and one that is programable. You want to set it to AGM or 13.0v for 100% SOC

Test all other panels for voltage. I imagine they will all be 18v

Test all small panels for amps. Hold off on the largest panels until you can do them straight up away from sun and gradually tilt into sun. If the largest panel is really 400watts it pushes 21 amps which would blow the fuse on your meter. By doing straight up and tilting to gradually get sun you can stop when you hit 8 amps or so and know if you are not flat on that it may be what it says.

In the end before proceeding we need to know voltage and current for each of your panels.

If you will refrain from getting ahead of us we will do everything possible to prevent any more kaput problems.

Last edited:
Here is your manual - or at least what I think should work with your device - without a part number or model number

your battery type is B02 - gel

1712775234790.png

1712775175424.png

Here is your manual - or at least what I think should work with your device - without a part number or model number

your battery type is B02 - gel

View attachment 208433

View attachment 208432
oh wow thank you, im glad you were able to find its brand name online...

the battery i ordered or the battery i got ?? and if there are openings on top.. can that really be gel ???

Last edited:
Bms received, although I'm not sure that this tiny thing can do what you say it does, here it is next to a pack of fags

Attachments

• 17128147109738723439379775364747.jpg
    17128147109738723439379775364747.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 12
Bms received, although I'm not sure that this tiny thing can do what you say it does, here it is next to a pack of fags

I never said order a BMS.

That is a 10 amp charge and 20 amp discharge version. It works with small lfp cells. That would only be needed if you were building a LFP battery from cells.

And that is something you don't have the tools or techniques to do without a large risk of fire.

Next step is measure the current of each panel and write it down.

I never said order a BMS.

That is a 10 amp charge and 20 amp discharge version. It works with small lfp cells. That would only be needed if you were building a LFP battery from cells.

And that is something you don't have the tools or techniques to do without a large risk of fire.

Next step is measure the current of each panel and write it down.
yes, another guy said order bms sorry.. im waiting for a sunny day to take measurements...

Okay, got the battery, nothing connected to it, unless I have a GO from any of you.....

Somehow GEL and still has maintenance openings on top...

Attachments

• 17129064723303155292180227314164.jpg
    17129064723303155292180227314164.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 12
and of all things, the multimeter gives zero readings.... bad timing
nevermind.. just a loose connection.. battery reads 11.97 volts will check volts and amps of all 3 solar panels tomorow during sun peak hours...

just to confirm.. i move the black cable to COM in the middle.. and switch to 10A to check for amps correct ?

Last edited:
nevermind.. just a loose connection.. battery reads 11.97 volts will check volts and amps of all 3 solar panels tomorow during sun peak hours...

just to confirm.. i move the black cable to COM in the middle.. and switch to 10A to check for amps correct ?
Correct

First amps marked and labeled for each wire pair inside the house. We don't want to kaput the PWM or battery

I had shoulder surgery yesterday so I may take longer to answer than normal.

tested the 400 watt panel.. saw it jump to 19volts for a moment.... amps.. 0.00
the rest to follow..0800

First amps marked and labeled for each wire pair inside the house. We don't want to kaput the PWM or battery

I had shoulder surgery yesterday so I may take longer to answer than normal.
hope your shoulder recovers quick.. i know those surgeries are meaningfull when you need to pay for them

2nd panel... 16v peak... amps 0.00
time 0900
You probably blew the fuse when measuring the 400w panel... which means it is real. I am surprised but pleased. Look on the back and see how to replace it. Usually it is just taking the back off the meter, a lot of times it is in the battery compartment.

Mark the 400w panel wires. That single panel to the PWM to the battery should work to charge your big battery. Do not hook it up yet!

Make sure battery type is B02
I suspect you fried the charge circuit in the ups. Disconect the ups battery and measure the voltage. Once your meter fuse is replaced meassure the current from other panels and find one that measures 2 amps or very close to it. No more than 2.5 amps. Hook that to the PWM then to the UPS battery for a day. See if it will take a charge. If it does report back.

Last edited:
You probably blew the fuse when measuring the 400w panel... which means it is real. I am surprised but pleased. Look on the back and see how to replace it. Usually it is just taking the back off the meter, a lot of times it is in the battery compartment.

Mark the 400w panel wires. That single panel to the PWM to the battery should work to charge your big battery. Do not hook it up yet!

Make sure battery type is B02
I suspect you fried the charge circuit in the ups. Disconect the ups battery and measure the voltage. Once your meter fuse is replaced meassure the current from other panels and find one that measures 2 amps or very close to it. No more than 2.5 amps. Hook that to the PWM then to the UPS battery for a day. See if it will take a charge. If it does report back.
tried another multimeter. same result

tried another multimeter. same result
the ups had the charge controller hooked up to it for less than 10 hours....and has since been removed...
since then ive had the ups next to me with top cover removed for cooling reasons...... otherwise.. i just never turned the ups off or anything since the average pc needs tiny amount of power for sleep mode..... only thing giving the ups power is the wall outlet... i stabbed the buzzing thing and sent it to buzzing hell

The PWM scc should have a battery type setting. That should be set to B02.

There should be a fuse in the battery compartment for the 10a position for the probe. If you were doing it wrong then just let me know what you come up withwhen doing it right

time 1130
solar panel 1 ... -1 amp(overload??) amp
solar panel 2... just 1 no minus
solar panel 3.... -1... but i think i saw 10.44 for a moment....

not sure but i think all 3 solar panels produce over 10 amps each.. is that a good thing ?

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back