diy solar

diy solar

Finally got my BMS (Will's recommendation 4S...) from China. However, they forgot to include the blue tooth.

Flyfishing55

Can I use the BMS without the blue tooth until the part arrives?...which could take months.
DIY Lifepo4 12v 4-280amp cells, victron controller 100/30. thanks, Tim

Can you say which BMS you have or link to the particular DIY plan you used?

DYKB SMART BMS 4S 12 volt....had to order it from China as Battery Hookup was out of stock. Took almost 3 months to get here. I am following Will's $555 Lifepo4 battery build version 2.

The unit is very flexible in its configuration. I wouldn't trust that the settings in any given new one out of the box were correct for lifepo4. If you can, my advice is to wait. Strictly speaking if you ordered the lifepo4 model and it was configured properly at the factory it should be OK to use.

extra info
Technically speaking the BMS' job for your system will be to protect the battery against damage from over current, over charging (down to the cell level) and low temperature charging etc. Since your cells are new they should be pretty close to each other in terms of charge as is. You could check the cell voltage with a meter and post the results here for someone to check. If they are balanced as is, the Victron's normal charging activities will not over charge them so even with a li-ion configuration in the BMS your cells wouldn't be at risk of over charging but you could be at risk of over discharging if your load (inverter?) doesn't have a suitable cut off point. External fusing would protect the battery from high current discharging.

I'm sure other people will have thoughts, so see if anyone else makes any comments :)

Last edited:
4 cells: 3.2 / 3.3 / 3.2 / 3.3 No inverter. I will be using the Aili battery monitor. Hopefully Will has one lying around his shop. LOL

Last edited:
FYI: Apparently the "smart" BMS unit does not come with blue tooth module; you have to order it separately. Of course don't expect to be told that on a purchase. I would imagine Battery Hook-up includes that in their sales of the unit. I would ask that question... Not sure if they are back in stock yet.

Is that BMS still what people would recommend for a simple house bank? I didn't receive the BT mode either and am leery of waiting on uncertain delivery. I was pretty disappointed when I received the BMS. Thrown into a padded envelope, no documentation balance leads look sloppily made with glue...

Yes, the blue tooth works fine. Yes, its cheaply made as most inexpensive electronics are now days. I have an extra blue tooth if you want to buy it. If I can find it...new in package. Tim
Send me a PM>

Back