diy solar

diy solar

Free Power is AWESOME!!!

Appsdaddy

In January I completed the installation of my EG4 18Kpv Inverter and 16 Li Time 12v 230Ah LiFeP04 batteries (grid tied) system. I signed up with a power company that offers completely free energy from 9pm to 9am. They don't even charge the delivery fee. I received my first bill which totaled $12.97 which is the sum of the base fee for the power company and the transmission line company. Here's the kicker... I signed up while they had a promotion going where they send $15 each month during my 2 year contract to my Amazon prime account. That means on my first month's bill, I actually made $2.03!!!!!!! I have about $20K in my system so based on my normal usage, (when you factor in the 30% tax credit) my system should pay for itself in about 3 years! Thanks to all the guys like Will that have put so much info on the web so people like me can research and figure out how to make this happen.
P.S. I just ordered solar panels from SanTan Solar. When I install 14 - 550W bi-Facial panels, I should never run my batteries dry in the summer. and during the winter I'll have plenty of power for days if the grid goes down.

Attachments

• 20240112_222052.jpg
    20240112_222052.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 20240112_173129.jpg
    20240112_173129.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 20231214_224228.jpg
    20231214_224228.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 20240111_161242.jpg
    20240111_161242.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 102
I signed up with a power company that offers completely free energy from 9pm to 9am. They don't even charge the delivery fee. I received my first bill which totaled $12.97 which is the sum of the base fee for the power company and the transmission line company. Here's the kicker... I signed up while they had a promotion going where they send $15 each month during my 2 year contract to my Amazon prime account. That means on my first month's bill, I actually made $2.03!!!!!!! I have about $20K in my system so based on my normal usage, (when you factor in the 30% tax credit) my system should pay for itself in about 3 years!
Brilliant! Well done.
Off to look what other rate offerings I have 😂

Wondering are the batteries UL listed, or since they are 12V doesn't matter. Here AHJ never go for that wooden box they even have the fire department sign off on the design. They hear lithium and it's a fire hazard.

Here AHJ never go for that wooden box

I noticed that in one picture the box is completely closed. @Appsdaddy : aren't you concerned about the batteries getting too warm?

I have mine in a wooden shelf/ rack but allow some ventilation.

I just added 2 fans and the batteries are between 25C and 30C now. They reach 30C after a lot of sunshine or strong demand like water heater plus car charger at the same time.

Room temperature is between 23C and 31C now.
20240224_202104.jpg

Wondering are the batteries UL listed, or since they are 12V doesn't matter. Here AHJ never go for that wooden box they even have the fire department sign off on the design. They hear lithium and it's a fire ha
Actually:

"completely free energy from 9pm to 9am"

Why bother with panels?
Just charge the battery bank at night from free grid power.
We are charging batteries at night but 42Kwh is not enough to get us through the days in June, July, and August here in central Texas

I noticed that in one picture the box is completely closed. @Appsdaddy : aren't you concerned about the batteries getting too warm?

I have mine in a wooden shelf/ rack but allow some ventilation.

I just added 2 fans and the batteries are between 25C and 30C now. They reach 30C after a lot of sunshine or strong demand like water heater plus car charger at the same time.

Room temperature is between 23C and 31C now.
View attachment 198190
Yes I am monitoring the battery temps daily and expect to need to add fans for the summer or remove the insulated plywood panels completely during the summer months.

Nice job.

Your AHJ is very accommodating
Yes, surprisingly accommodating! They were skeptical of me since I am not a licensed electrician. Once they saw the work they loved what I was doing. I have been fixing up houses for decades and never knew there was a "homestead permit". That makes it so the homeowner living in the home can do basically anything he or she wants to as far as the work portion of a project. It still has to be inspected and meet code but as a homeowner you want it to be safe and meeting code so if you ever want to sell; it won't be a problem.

10kWh x 365 x 3 years = 10950kWh
$20000 / 10950kWh = $1.8 per kWh

If grid power in Texas is cheaper than $1.8/kWh, you're not breaking even in 3 years.

I think he uses 10kWh in February.

In summer it's much more , I think he said 50kWh per day for air conditioning.

10kWh is ridiculously low though. My tenant with gas heating and electric tankless water heater, entire house is on 240V/ 30A service.. uses 15kWh a day. House has only 400 sqft.

10kWh is ridiculously low though. My tenant with gas heating and electric tankless water heater, entire house is on 240V/ 30A service.. uses 15kWh a day. House has only 400 sqft.
I use 10-12 kWh/day in winter in a much bigger house. I'm home on the computer all day, but have gas heat and hot water.

Back