diy solar

diy solar

Fun new project with SOK 12 slot outdoor rack and Sol-Ark 15k

HighTechLab

AKA Dexter - CTO of Current Connected, LLC
This was for a customer of mine - we wanted to do a trial run to see how effectively we could build a turn-key weatherproof outdoor ESS system. They only purchased 6 batteries but normally we would pre-load all 12 batteries, prewire, test and allow the BMSs to balance everything out. Also, the heat pump heater/coolers aren't shown installed in the doors but there is a cutout for them. I am working on sourcing them but in the meantime there is a filler plate. The rack is fully insulated with flame resistant insulation.

The main panel is 200A rated and has feed through lugs on the busses so this way you could just run a 2" conduit out of the panel straight to your home's load center without needing to add a 200A breaker to the panel. 3/0 AWG L1/L2/N and 6AWG grounding conductor from the Sol-Ark to the panel so it's ready for full 200A passthrough. We also added 2x 20A circuits with GFCI outlets on each (bubble cover on the left) and a NEMA 14-50R for an RV/welder/EV charger hookup.

Solar panels can go on ballasted ground mounts super easy and then just tie into the inverter (or run conduit in the ground for a permanent installation).

Fed with 2xParallel 2/0AWG from the bus bars that run to the batteries to the inverter (Sol-Ark 15k).

What do you guys think?

1702520836744.png

1702520854077.png

1702520871370.png

1702520890896.png

1702520902945.png

1702520918054.png

Wow!

Conceptually, I like it. A self contained solution for any property with no need to build a “solar shed”.

What climate will it be going in?

That's a nice rig. If I were starting from scratch I'd look at it. In fact, it might work well for separate power for my shop and future well house. Do you think you're going to be mass marketing these, or special order only?

That's a nice rig. If I were starting from scratch I'd look at it. In fact, it might work well for separate power for my shop and future well house. Do you think you're going to be mass marketing these, or special order only?
Going into this, I had considered that it's a great solution for many...we could even use various brands of batteries, inverters...the options and combinations are endless. We're just going to have to take things step-by-step and figure out the practicality of getting a solid team to assemble them, developing a testing/QC/QA standard, managing lead times for customization, and making sure we have sufficient parts in stock to keep things running smoothly, meanwhile keeping overhead costs low enough so that a customer would actually be willing to pay a reasonable amount for it all to be worth it. It's a big undertaking that must be done right...that's why we made this demo - to taste what we would be biting off.

I had even considered using overseas resources to get them delivered to me pre-assembled....but the hiccups include getting the proper UL-listed fittings, conduit, wire, etc. and it likely wouldn't be with any mainstream inverter manufacturers that are already well known and certified for use in the states. Most manufacturers seem to frown at the request to pick the products up from their supplier's factory (not surprised)...

Wow!

Conceptually, I like it. A self contained solution for any property with no need to build a “solar shed”.

What climate will it be going in?
Somewhere between really hot and really cold. The heat pumps are originally sized so I can put one of these racks on the outside of my house here in Las Vegas and free up a bunch of garage space, or installed at the in-law's that are in North Idaho. We have heating pads that are sticky on one side that could be attached to the batteries for backup heating in extreme cold conditions...we just need to refine the controls so the heat pump realizes there is a minimum operating temp and that the resistive heat is a more efficient solution. My biggest concern and focus is making sure battery heat doesn't become a larger consumption than the entire off-grid system.

Last edited:
Really like this idea. Recently I’ve seen smaller mini splits used to heat and cool enclosed excavators. So I would guess those probably would work for this install.

Adding the extra outlets is nice touch. I could see this potentially be shipped to a remote homestead to power things while they build their home.

Really like this idea. Recently I’ve seen smaller mini splits used to heat and cool enclosed excavators. So I would guess those probably would work for this install.

Adding the extra outlets is nice touch. I could see this potentially be shipped to a remote homestead to power things while they build their home.
We're going to need a picture of that excavator with a mini-split installed on it ... just sayin :ROFLMAO:

These are neat little units I’ve seen on several machines. They use them overseas. But you don’t see many in the US yet. They call them split units. But they may only cool and not heat.

Attachments

• IMG_1755.jpeg
    IMG_1755.jpeg
    493.6 KB · Views: 34
This was for a customer of mine - we wanted to do a trial run to see how effectively we could build a turn-key weatherproof outdoor ESS system. They only purchased 6 batteries but normally we would pre-load all 12 batteries, prewire, test and allow the BMSs to balance everything out. Also, the heat pump heater/coolers aren't shown installed in the doors but there is a cutout for them. I am working on sourcing them but in the meantime there is a filler plate. The rack is fully insulated with flame resistant insulation.

The main panel is 200A rated and has feed through lugs on the busses so this way you could just run a 2" conduit out of the panel straight to your home's load center without needing to add a 200A breaker to the panel. 3/0 AWG L1/L2/N and 6AWG grounding conductor from the Sol-Ark to the panel so it's ready for full 200A passthrough. We also added 2x 20A circuits with GFCI outlets on each (bubble cover on the left) and a NEMA 14-50R for an RV/welder/EV charger hookup.

Solar panels can go on ballasted ground mounts super easy and then just tie into the inverter (or run conduit in the ground for a permanent installation).

Fed with 2xParallel 2/0AWG from the bus bars that run to the batteries to the inverter (Sol-Ark 15k).

What do you guys think?

View attachment 182793

View attachment 182794

View attachment 182795

View attachment 182796

View attachment 182797

View attachment 182798
Nice little turn key solution !

This is beautiful.
Great work! Wish I had the brain power to figure out how to emulate this form factor
I did see it on the website and became curious to how it came about. I just need one 30” deep with 4-12” tall slots lol

Last edited:
It would be perfect if you could integrate the inverter inside the unit rather that having it look like a bolt on.
Maybe a 3 wide cabinet. Or how about a generator type trailer. 5x8' ex uhaul trailer ?

I really like the way the cabinet looks. It should make installing cleaner.
Do you have more pictures and a manual/specs sheet coming?
How thick or what is the R-value of the insulation? If I use it in a cold environment, (-10f or colder) can I keep it warm? Or will I need to make other arrangements to compensate?

It would be perfect if you could integrate the inverter inside the unit rather that having it look like a bolt on.
Maybe a 3 wide cabinet. Or how about a generator type trailer. 5x8' ex uhaul trailer ?
The problem with mounting a Sol-Ark inside is that you then need to move the heat it produces outside. This is great for winter but very bad for summer. Furthermore, feeding the AC cables into the Sol-Ark with it located within the cabinet becomes a massive chore. I think the only way I would ever consider this is if we built some sort of wireway/gutter trough into the cabinet, but then it opens a HUGE can of worms for UL certifications. I also don't love the "door within a door" situation for the inverter, as it takes valuable access space away from installers.

Now, with other inverters, it would be a different story. Sure there is still the heat situation, but if it were something smaller without the 200A passthrough (say, something Victron for example) then it would be more feasible.

I really like the way the cabinet looks. It should make installing cleaner.
Do you have more pictures and a manual/specs sheet coming?
How thick or what is the R-value of the insulation? If I use it in a cold environment, (-10f or colder) can I keep it warm? Or will I need to make other arrangements to compensate?
I will have to check the R value of the insulation. At -10F I would put in the resistive heating pads for the batteries as heat pumps really struggle at temperatures that low.

We really should design a master controller that can make things super smart in terms of when to fire the heating and cooling - for example, not run the heat pads until morning so the batteries are up to temp when charging begins...

Last edited:
That is a super sweet setup and very appealing for here at 9200ft in colorado. I'd need it long on insulation, heating and still just some fans in summer to exchange the air. My highs in summer are 85ish and typical lows in winter are around 20ish.

Customer received this unit and shared here! Awesome!

Was thinking how something like this might open up options. A bare bones unit with the ability for a project board on one side and movable shelves on the other might open the market for other technologies and battery configurations. Offering a wheel option could be cool if one wanted to move it.

It is a very cool idea! Just this morning I was pondering a mini solar trailer idea. This offers many of the same benefits. I wasn’t considering something for the road but something that could be moved on wheels around the garage or yard as needed.

It is a very cool idea! Just this morning I was pondering a mini solar trailer idea. This offers many of the same benefits. I wasn’t considering something for the road but something that could be moved on wheels around the garage or yard as needed.
Nice thing with a mobile unit. Code enforcement can go f### themselves:)

Back