diy solar

diy solar

Future of Housing?

Picasso

Solar Enthusiast
So first ignore the price on this thing. http://haus.me/ I have been watching this builder for some time as he brings this product to life and from Europe to the USA.
As we see solar and batt propagate more it gets combined with these super efficient designs. Will housing go the premade way for efficiency or will we keep doing stick buildings? The above example sports some amazing R-values of 54 and 6 layer windows the whole thing is more like a boat as far as exterior goes its a sealed world heated and cooled to the preference of your favorite meat, YOU.

Its interesting. Im building a cabin about that size for roughly a quarter million less ?. One thing they didn't explain was a water supply. R54 with all that glass??

So first ignore the price on this thing. http://haus.me/ I have been watching this builder for some time as he brings this product to life and from Europe to the USA.
As we see solar and batt propagate more it gets combined with these super efficient designs. Will housing go the premade way for efficiency or will we keep doing stick buildings? The above example sports some amazing R-values of 54 and 6 layer windows the whole thing is more like a boat as far as exterior goes its a sealed world heated and cooled to the preference of your favorite meat, YOU.
Because this housing option requires the usual begging or borrowing of a big ole pile of money to purchase the home, then, either beg or borrow a big ole pile of money for a piece of land that is close enough to gainful employment so that the homeowner can work for he/she/they/or it's lifetime to satisfy *mortgages and skyrocketing property taxes, this particular house is not a solution for those of modest means who would rather live independently in their own home instead of gubment subsidized housing cubicles. ~ Don't get me wrong, some folks would love to get out of gubment subsidized housing cubicles and they are willing to work hard to do so, but the hurdles to living in a home that the bank owns on land that the town owns, (ie try not paying all of your property taxes because they have become too excessive and see who really owns your property), have become too high for an increasing sector of the population especially in urban and suburban areas where most of the jobs exist. ~ This high tech, computer operated, partially self sustainable micro living cubicle is very expensive and does not address the issue of affordable housing. ~ Enterprising people who are not harassed by excessive politburo deadlines, codes, regulations and fees who are also willing and able to roll up their sleeves and do their own work, can do this for half the cost which possibly includes a postage stamp sized lot within an hour commute of work too. ~ Self construction, while still inordinately expensive in the land of the almighty, incredible shrinking monopoly dollar, will not solve the independent housing crisis on it's own of course, but would open up shelter opportunity for a small percentage of the willing to work for it populous. ~ Note: The word "mortgage” comes from the French “mort-gage”, literally death-pledge. The French peasants were working until they died for the privilege of owning a house.

In building my cabin on land I own outright. I've spent more in permits and code vs building materials. Having to pay someone $300 bucks to drive 120miles round trip to blow a fan in my door for 30mins, all so I meet efficiency standards for my none grid connected housing unit....I thought Id like building my own house but ugh California building code is ment for citys.

In building my cabin on land I own outright. I've spent more in permits and code vs building materials. Having to pay someone $300 bucks to drive 120miles round trip to blow a fan in my door for 30mins, all so I meet efficiency standards for my none grid connected housing unit....I thought Id like building my own house but ugh California building code is ment for citys.
I surmise, that in an attempt to replace some of the millions, upon millions of tax revenue generating manufacturing jobs that employed the largess of the US populous that have been lost over the past fifty years, the huge, tax revenue consuming, corporation of gubment stepped in and became the major employer and sells us our freedoms to fund it's unsustainable, omnipotent, monopoly self. Do the best you can. ☮

I surmise, that in an attempt to replace some of the millions, upon millions of tax revenue generating manufacturing jobs that employed the largess of the US populous that have been lost over the past fifty years, the huge, tax revenue consuming, corporation of gubment stepped in and became the major employer and sells us our freedoms to fund it's unsustainable, omnipotent, monopoly self. Do the best you can. ☮

It's a matter of geography. My total spent for permits and inspections is $0.

QUOTE="New Mexico Will, post: 25405, member: 783"]
[/QUOTE]
I don't know the percentage, but I would guess that 100% of all land that lies within USA's organized townships, (aka having a town office or loosely organized social construct of some sort that oversees the humanoid activities and infrastructure within the boundaries of the organized township), has at least a rudimentary fee, tax and basic code structure for the property owners within the territory. Exceptions to adhering to basic codes, taxes and fees could include land leased from private, town, state or Federal entities as well as squatters who are naughty but I love them dearly. Disclaimer: Even though the above remarkably well written paragraph looks liked it was researched and written by a brilliant lawyer who specializes in real estate law, it was not, so please don't solicit me for legal advise.

QUOTE="New Mexico Will, post: 25405, member: 783"]
I don't know the percentage, but I would guess that 100% of all land that lies within USA's organized townships, (aka having a town office or loosely organized social construct of some sort that oversees the humanoid activities and infrastructure within the boundaries of the organized township), has at least a rudimentary fee, tax and basic code structure for the property owners within the territory. Exceptions to adhering to basic codes, taxes and fees could include land leased from private, town, state or Federal entities as well as squatters who are naughty but I love them dearly. Disclaimer: Even though the above remarkably well written paragraph looks liked it was researched and written by a brilliant lawyer who specializes in real estate law, it was not, so please don't solicit me for legal advise.
[/QUOTE]

Well Offgriddle Esquire, I would say that you are correct. I loathe those places ?

Anyone who knows anything about information security and the lack of privacy in the IoT devices today should shudder at the idea of all that cloud-based technology being critical to the operation of your home.

Anyone who knows anything about information security and the lack of privacy in the IoT devices today should shudder at the idea of all that cloud-based technology being critical to the operation of your home.

All I need is sun!

I've never willingly submitted any information to, "The Cloud", but with that being said, anything transmitted electronically and via snail mail, is subject to omnipotent gubment's carte blanche, "legal", prying into the privacy of sovereign individuals, pursuant to the major freedoms lost as a result of the nine eleven stunt. ~ Commercial entities also bust the cloud, but their intention is more nobel than wanting to make gubment paychecks from forcefully controlling the general population, instead, the commercials want you to choose to purchase their goods and services of your own free will. ~ Along with the unwelcome and non authorized gubment cloud hackers, there are always the ever present freelance hackers who either simply want to make a buck or just wish to contribute to the fall of modern, huwoman kind as a hobby. ~ The common core clueless USAmerican general populous is enamored with off shore made electronic gadgetry that robs them of their freedoms and privacy, as well as lightens their wallets. ~ In conclusion, Bluetooth, wifi and cellular signals transmit precisely in the frequency range that microwave ovens use to cook tissues and at power levels hundreds of times higher than microwave ovens are allowed to leak. Tell me that's not having an effect on the huperson brain, right? ☮️

Disclaimer: The above on topic opinion does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the operators or participants of this forum; in fact, I would almost guarantee it doesn't! ☮️

Offgriddle, take a deep breath man. Solar, not politics please. I'm sure there are plenty of government conspiracy forums out there you could join. ;)

I guess I was coming at it more from the angle of having this awesome high-tech home and yet the minute your internet connection goes down, you can't unlock the door, control the temperature, or have any content to listen to or watch on that giant TV. On top of that, someone comes to your home with a laser hooked up to a Raspberry Pi, shines it through those big windows of yours, and uses that laser to tell the house to unlock the door and boom ... they are in.

I guess I was coming at it more from the angle of having this awesome high-tech home and yet the minute your internet connection goes down, you can't unlock the door, control the temperature, or have any content to listen to or watch on that giant TV. On top of that, someone comes to your home with a laser hooked up to a Raspberry Pi, shines it through those big windows of yours, and uses that laser to tell the house to unlock the door and boom ... they are in.

I couldn't agree more. My work truck is a brand new 2019 F-250. It's about a $55,000 truck. The gauge lights don't work, the TPMS never stops complaining, and the rear camera already broke. I have 4,000 miles on it. So, nope, I won't be trusting that kind of tech in my home.

Offgriddle, take a deep breath man. Solar, not politics please. I'm sure there are plenty of government conspiracy forums out there you could join. ;)
Okay, NMW, thanks for talking me down man, I know I tend to whip myself into a frenzy, (I also realize it when I'm running around with a pitchfork and torch too)! But, with that being said, some things still need sayin every now and then, after all, do we really need to submit to the electronic eve's dropping of big sister so easily like the sheeple?

Also, with IoT you MUST be connected to the web for it to work, when the web is off / down, you get no IoT or very very limited capability depending on device. I'm Off grid with PT Web Access (only on when I want it on) and I learned that Hard Way about IoT and being offgrid…. BTW: Samsung Smartthings wants 100% access to everything on yoru smartphone, including GPS, bookmarks in your browser, address book and even photo's…. guess what they do with that info ? and think about why their stuff is so cheap... making money on the other end.

ON TOPIC: Sure these houses have potential and are interesting but absolutely not cost effective and having to depend on exernalities to be operable 7/24 is simply idiotic ! The Future is leaning more towards 3d Printed homes & buildings like these from https://www.iconbuild.com/ After that the use of SIPS (Structural Insulated Panels) for high efficiency homes and of course the new R2000+ homes...

I built my place with 6" solid HD EPS-II Foam in the walls, 8" of PolyISO in between the rafters, a Rain Screened siding system and a Cool Roof system and along with the Frost Protected Slab Foundation (with 4" of XPS as opposed to 2" req by code) and Radiant Pex, I sit very comfortably in my hyper efficient home. All the insulation was purchased through a Commercial Roofing Company as anything thicker than 2" (Foams or ISO) is not available in Retail Land and is insanely priced in retail as well.... HINT: I paid $8 for one sheet 4'x8'x4" thick PolyISO. I paid $10 for the 4'x4'x6" EPS-II and $10 per sheet for the 2'x4'x4" XPS (none of which is available retail).

Back