diy solar

diy solar

General question for EG4 6500 owners

Rocknemo

I'm wanting to hear from actual owners of the EG4 6500 from both sides, the good and bad. It seems there has been a lot of people posting problems and even more bashing. Is there more problems when using them in split phase than just single. And how many are actually having no problems. All these budget type inverters are china made so there is going to be some issues, but are these becoming worse than the rest.

I'm wanting to hear from actual owners of the EG4 6500 from both sides, the good and bad. It seems there has been a lot of people posting problems and even more bashing. Is there more problems when using them in split phase than just single. And how many are actually having no problems. All these budget type inverters are china made so there is going to be some issues, but are these becoming worse than the rest.
I bought EG-4s because I watched some youtube videos of them operating in split phase. And the mention that they had been running well for more than a year.

I couldn't believe the price point compared to others.

I have mine operating in split phase pretty quickly. For a grid tied application (meaning they charge from the grid) I'd be good to go. What I'm working on is mobile and there were some "gotchas" on the grounding side that require one inverter to be opened up.

Other than the ground issue, I have them producing 240V power and running substantial loads.

What's different about these, coming from a background of working with grid tied Frontius inverters is that there is no direct (manufacturer) support. You have support from the retailer. So far, the vast majority of my questions have been answered about these 80% from this forum and 20% via the retailer (frankly through responses on this forum).

Frontius, I can call and speak to an engineer.. Or at least a very well informed support staff.

What's frustrating is that these EG-4s - and I'm speaking of both the inverters and battery technologies are iterating quickly and there are small changes that impact their function and communications that are absolutely not covered in the documentation. And the documentation can be flat wrong between different versions, depending on when you purchased.

So I’ve had my 2 6500s for around 6 months. They’re running in a split phase configuration and I have a significant portion of my house running off them (most of my 120v loads and my 240v well pump). As I get closer to summertime, I’m gonna look at moving some more of my 240v loads over.

I’ll be honest, I’ve documented my fair share of issues with them, but really nothing has been a “deal breaker” in my mind (part of that might be due to the fact that I kinda enjoy troubleshooting things). For the price point they work pretty well. They’re not the top of the line, but they’re not the cheapest either. I have AC-IN hooked up for grid-bypass in the event that my battery state of charge drops below a certain level, then everything just switches over to grid power till my battery level gets back up to it’s set level.

I have actually had more issues with the lack of communication from Signature Solar when I have tried to deal with some of the issues/questions that have come up while using my 6500s. Thankfully this forum is filled with a lot of knowledgeable people that are willing to share when people have questions.

Not the right terminology.
Not "grid-tied", unless it can export to the grid.
Thanks. Fixed.

I resolved by "last" issue (I hope) with the 2/2023 edition of the EG-4 6500s. That is that they are not N/G bonded, which will not work for "mobile" cases. Fixing that required cracking the case on the master inverter, installing a bond screw, and updating the firmware on both. I'm a bit aggravated by having to make a board level change to a new consumer component where there is very little documentation (other than what's here and a recent SS video). The change isn't exactly "consumer grade" friendly. Then again, I'm paying 33% of what I normally pay for an inverter.

But I made these changes, buttoned it up and the "ground fault" sensitive equipment I was powering is now quite happy.

1679621521899.png

I've had mine operational since November. I'm hooked to a 15kW array. 105kWh battery bank. It's running 90% of my house since Nov. I have zero complaints about my decision. There's a learning curve with settings to optimize. I'm still learning things as we enter more prolific sun for spring.

I have not had a single system shutdown since commissing. The inverters have not been shutoff since I went live. Im running 120/240. All in all I would 100% buy these again. And I wouldn't think twice about it.

Here is my build thread if you want to see more details. I keep updating it.

Have had a pair of them running since last summer full time. I’ve had one fail around nov. just faulted out high bus voltage and was replaced. This week fault f12 dc-dc overcurrent. These have been running full time since summer, only shutdown for firmware updates. In the end I have have these many many chances but they are just too buggy and low quality for my use. They do not work as advertised is the long and short of it. If you’re off grid only they would probably be ok, but if they have utility hooked in and you plan on using that function put the money towards a sol-ark 15 even if your not grid tied and plan to export. There are so many little issues that make these just junk in the end. But most will relate to using the grid as either bypass or charging. Basically there are so many things that need to be compromised on because they don’t work as advertised that it’s a deal breaker even at the low price point. In closing even in an off grid only situation I think I wouldn’t recommend these inverters if used in parallel configuration. There are random times they will output crazy voltages and frequencies ect. A lot of people that say they are ok just don’t have the equipment and training to be able to view what these things do at times and how they will without a doubt damage loads hooked to them long term. Flickering lights is not what I’m referring to. Voltage spikes on one phase, phases floating out of sync even with grid reference available is just some of the issues these things have probably due to the cheaper components used and some to do with the lack of knowledge and communication between the customers, retailer and manufacturer. If the customer was directly communicating to the manufacturers these issue would be better over time more than likely but that’s not the case with these inverters. Yes the sol-arks are a lot more money but kill a major appliance in your home and we’ll nothing saved. Sol-arks have the advantage due to higher price point so better equipment is part of it but most of it is the open channel on constant r&d that is being done between customers and the manufacturer. Just my two cents

Sol-arks have the advantage due to higher price point so better equipment is part of it but most of it is the open channel on constant r&d that is being done between customers and the manufacturer. Just my two cents
I guess that you didn't know that,
Deye is the manufacturer of Sol-Ark products.
Or maybe you were referring to Sol-Ark as the customer. (Not the end user as the customer)

I guess that you didn't know that,
Deye is the manufacturer of Sol-Ark products.
Or maybe you were referring to Sol-Ark as the customer. (Not the end user as the customer)
Yes I am aware of who makes the sol-arks. I could have been more clear on the customer comment. With sol-ark typically a professional is involved in the install and I would consider the installer the customer. The installer can communicate easily to sol-ark in Texas and they obviously have a knowledgeable team and open communications with the manufacturer.

I am having issues with my split phase inverters shutting down and then powering back on every day or two, I was told by SS that they had a batch of bad inverters early this year and sent someone to Asia to work on the issue. I am guessing I have one of the bad ones? My brother is having no issues running a single inverter that he bough last November, we are both off grid and not connected to the grid. I have 6 eg4 batteries on split phase he has two EG4 batteries single phase, I think the older units work better. I watched the Will Prowse video where he used them for heavy loads with no issues so I decided to purchase, I wired them exactly as he did.

Have you updated the firmware?

Are there any errors presented by either unit?

Are your inverters set to EG4 for batteries or USE? If not set to USE, I would try that as a first step if your firmware is up to date.

I have two EX6000's and once the batteries are fully charged, they "blink" the AC for about 5 seconds. This is the same as Kurts issue as well as others. I don't have cell where they are located so I cannot call Signature Solar, so far a couple emails have gone into the "queue". My batteries are user defined and I have the latest firmware. Since they are 1/4 the price of other units, I'm willing to work with them until we get it fixed.

I have two EX6000's and once the batteries are fully charged, they "blink" the AC for about 5 seconds. This is the same as Kurts issue as well as others. I don't have cell where they are located so I cannot call Signature Solar, so far a couple emails have gone into the "queue". My batteries are user defined and I have the latest firmware. Since they are 1/4 the price of other units, I'm willing to work with them until we get it fixed.
I am having shutdown issues as well.....what is the latest firmware? They are telling me I need an update and I am now running U1 63 11 and U2 61 08

2 6500ex in Split phase, with 6x EG4 batteries in the rack. Currently off grid only, but planning to add AC in soon as i can trench and run the power to the shed, and then serve CL panel for my house. Mine were built without the grounding screws and have the new terminals. No issues at all, and no firmware updates either. I don't plan to upgrade the firmware unless i run into issues that the firmware claims to fix.

I have 2 x 6500ex inverters running split phase. 6 x eg4 lifepower4 batteries. My system has been running my entire home (offgrid with no utilities) for 7 weeks with only minor annoyances not really problems. Blinking 2P1 with F69 fault, but hasn't shut anything down. I'm happy with my purchase due to price point and it runs my whole home. Oh and 12,700 w solar array. And as a beginner I built the entire system myself ( just a little pat on my back) with the help of youtube, (Will) mostly and this Forum.

Have AC input power turned off since throwing the switch and 100% off grid in my house. Pushed hard on these, they take it. Minor issue has been the flickering lights, not a deal breaker, main floor lights are on a different leg than the freezer circuit that causes the flicker. No flicker with washing machine, another freezer and fridge running.

Max out one SCC per inverter almost daily, still running strong.

What do I think causes some issues? Battery communication with the EG4 batteries seems trouble prone, incorrect settings, incorrect wiring, incorrect bonding. Strings with VOC too high when weather turns cold. Small PV wiring over long distances with lower VOC and excessive voltage drop.

I've had more trouble getting Solar Assistant working and reading SOC correctly than I have with the 6500EX's.

What do I think causes some issues? Battery communication with the EG4 batteries seems trouble prone, incorrect settings, incorrect wiring, incorrect bonding. Strings with VOC too high when weather turns cold. Small PV wiring over long distances with lower VOC and excessive voltage drop.
I have the EG-4 LL V2 and there seems to be at least 3 different sets of documentation between battery version and dip switch configuration. I have all of these running in USE mode, but plan to switch to EG4 mode soon.

We just ordered another set of inverters (for mobile use) - I asked about if they'll flash firmware prior to shipping, got passed to 2 departments that couldn't help and I'm waiting on a call back to confirm.

Where I'm disappointed is that tech support indicated that the EG-4 6500EX inverters were shipping with N/G screws installed. I pointed out that wasn't the case as of 2/2023 (last set ordered) and was not correct per their own videos. So there still seems to be a big of "huh" going on with these products. Documentation needs improvement.

But in terms of "does it work" - I've pushed 11kW of battery power through them. Other than 4/0 wire getting "warm" - which may be normal - seems to kick ass for the price point.

I have the EG-4 LL V2 and there seems to be at least 3 different sets of documentation between battery version and dip switch configuration. I have all of these running in USE mode, but plan to switch to EG4 mode soon.

I'd forget battery communication entirely. Keep running USE.

We just ordered another set of inverters (for mobile use) - I asked about if they'll flash firmware prior to shipping, got passed to 2 departments that couldn't help and I'm waiting on a call back to confirm.

:ROFLMAO:
Where I'm disappointed is that tech support indicated that the EG-4 6500EX inverters were shipping with N/G screws installed. I pointed out that wasn't the case as of 2/2023 (last set ordered) and was not correct per their own videos. So there still seems to be a big of "huh" going on with these products. Documentation needs improvement.
That does need to be documented, probably with a sticker or tag on the product. To be fair to SS, in the video about bonding, it was stated that all inverters would be shipped without the screw and if a customer needed the bonding screw they can include it in the order or ship it out.

But in terms of "does it work" - I've pushed 11kW of battery power through them. Other than 4/0 wire getting "warm" - which may be normal - seems to kick ass for the price point.
(y)I've done the same, these seem to like heavy loading more than lighter loads, less light flicker issues with PV producing high and heavy loads.

Back