diy solar

diy solar

General question for EG4 6500 owners

I have 2x EG4 6500. Split phase for 240v Been using them since the beginning of this year. Completely off-grid. One inverter shows ~400kw in ~200kw out. The other shows ~300kw in ~100kw out.

On a sunny day I’ll run them kinda hard. The most being 4.5kw Solar going into one of them, while outputting 2.5kw for a hot water heater (240v so the other inverter is also doing 2.5kw), 800w well pump (other inverter is also doing 800w for well pump), 1.5kw electric heater. Plus lights, computer, dishwasher, fridge. So that’s ~5kw output on one inverter. Seems to work fine.

SS just came out with a firmware update to fix my biggest issue with the units. I havnt installed it yet.

I’m happy I could get them at the price I did. I spent a lot of money on the ground mount solar array and batteries and a new home. So saving $4000 on inverters for my system really helped out.

If these continue to function as they have for the period they are warrantied for (5 years because I’m running them w EG4 batteries), I would definitely consider getting them again.

My biggest issues are fan noise (although I’ve already gotten used to it) and idle power draw.
Not sure there is too much SS can do about either of those. This was my first time using a huge AIO system so I was just a little surprised by those two factors, (even tho idle power draw is listed on the spec sheet, I just wasn’t aware of how rough the winter would be for solar. PV watts told me 12kw per day average in Dec but I didn’t realize that was like 5 days of no power followed by 1 day of 60kw).

I have 2x EG4 6500. Split phase for 240v Been using them since the beginning of this year. Completely off-grid. One inverter shows ~400kw in ~200kw out. The other shows ~300kw in ~100kw out.

On a sunny day I’ll run them kinda hard. The most being 4.5kw Solar going into one of them, while outputting 2.5kw for a hot water heater (240v so the other inverter is also doing 2.5kw), 800w well pump (other inverter is also doing 800w for well pump), 1.5kw electric heater. Plus lights, computer, dishwasher, fridge. So that’s ~5kw output on one inverter. Seems to work fine.

I agree, these can handle a household quite well with some load management, i.e. not running everything that is a large load all at the exact same time.
SS just came out with a firmware update to fix my biggest issue with the units. I havnt installed it yet.

What is your issue? The 90V MPPT peg?

I’m happy I could get them at the price I did. I spent a lot of money on the ground mount solar array and batteries and a new home. So saving $4000 on inverters for my system really helped out.

If these continue to function as they have for the period they are warrantied for (5 years because I’m running them w EG4 batteries), I would definitely consider getting them again.

My biggest issues are fan noise (although I’ve already gotten used to it) and idle power draw.
Not sure there is too much SS can do about either of those. This was my first time using a huge AIO system so I was just a little surprised by those two factors, (even tho idle power draw is listed on the spec sheet, I just wasn’t aware of how rough the winter would be for solar. PV watts told me 12kw per day average in Dec but I didn’t realize that was like 5 days of no power followed by 1 day of 60kw).
You should take the money saved and purchase another $4,000 in batteries. Once you get to a certain battery size,it makes life easy.

No PV yield for 2.5 days and today doesn't look promising either. Not even 1 Kwh yesterday. Battery bank still around 50%. I am seeing 2Kw now at 10:20AM, it won't be enough to cover today's usage.

I'd forget battery communication entirely. Keep running USE.

What are the advantages of EG-4 mode? I assume this would allow better battery balance and make sure that the charge points of the battery match the inverter.

That does need to be documented, probably with a sticker or tag on the product. To be fair to SS, in the video about bonding, it was stated that all inverters would be shipped without the screw and if a customer needed the bonding screw they can include it in the order or ship it out.
Yea, I had to chase a darn 2.5mm x 10mm screw also. What would be fair is if their support staff understood that these are being shipped w/o grounding screws. Probably doesn't matter in "most" cases that are grid charged, but sure mattered in my case and cost hours of headache and research chasing ground-fault sensitive problems up stream.

If one of these fails, it's going to be interesting trying to warranty an inverter that's obviously had it's seal broken. The ground screw was not particularly easy to do with the inverter mounted on the wall. Had to remove a board, tape a screw to a screw driver, etc. Not exactly "consumer grade" friendly.

What are the advantages of EG-4 mode? I assume this would allow better battery balance and make sure that the charge points of the battery match the inverter.
It gives the BMS control over the AIO for charging parameters. And locks you out.
It's fine for beginners who don't know how to setup the charging. Or people who don't want to know.

It gives the BMS control over the AIO for charging parameters. And locks you out.
It's fine for beginners who don't know how to setup the charging. Or people who don't want to know.
Is that it? Sets those initial parameters (which are configurable anyway)? Advanced monitoring?

BMS control is about it. There's no advanced monitoring.
BMS control is "broken" on the EG-4 LL v2s, at least in series. You can get BMS on them one battery at a time (or by a complicated) parallel wiring setup.

EG-4 just sync's the correct charge parameters? Makes no other changes?

Sorry, just surprised it's that simple and no other functions.

EG-4 just sync's the correct charge parameters? Makes no other changes?
I wana say the BMS takes over a handful of parameters in the inverter, I just can’t recall all the ones overridden and the manual doesn’t indicate them.

I don’t have any EG4 batteries, otherwise I would try and make a list of the params that get updated.

Most battery related parameters.
I done away with communications as soon as I understood the battery chemistry.

Most battery related parameters.
I done away with communications as soon as I understood the battery chemistry.
If there is no advantage to EG-4 mode, do any of the initial USE mode settings need to be modified for use with the EG-4 LLs?

I should really know the answer to this, but we've largely been bench testing our setup and debugging the AC side (particularly the neutral / ground bonding)

Can you give us your settings that work best and longevity? I want to make sure I'm not overcharging or under charging. I do want the best setup for battery life since I'm totally off grid and completely dependent on my batteries.

If there is no advantage to EG-4 mode, do any of the initial USE mode settings need to be modified for use with the EG-4 LLs?

I should really know the answer to this, but we've largely been bench testing our setup and debugging the AC side (particularly the neutral / ground bonding)
When in USE mode, you have to set all the battery settings on the inverter. Depending on your specific environment, the defaults might be sufficient.

Can you give us your settings that work best and longevity? I want to make sure I'm not overcharging or under charging. I do want the best setup for battery life since I'm totally off grid and completely dependent on my batteries.
I would start with the battery manufacturers recommendations. And adjust from there as you understand how your system works.

Might as well buy some spares you’ll be lucky if they make it to the end of the year let alone 5 years that’ll never happen. I was running a similar setup went through 3 replacements in less than 9 mo. Bought a sol-ark and have never had a single issue since setup. The eg4’s will go months without issues and then bam dead. These really don’t do well at all in parallel operation. I still have them running doing non critical things and they still have issues just doing the same thing everyday. Some days they will wake up and output power with just pv connected, some days they won’t they are just really not reliable for anything unless you’re willing to constantly babysit them. I think the longest they have ran for me without intervention was around a week.

I feel convinced at this point 80% of people seeing failures don't know what they are doing and have bad setups. I turned mine on in Nov. Zero issues. They haven't turned off. They're running our entire house. I still haven't even updated my firmware.

Might as well buy some spares you’ll be lucky if they make it to the end of the year let alone 5 years that’ll never happen
Since im running in split phase and already have 2x for that, i consider that having a spare. Ill be fine if i need to abandon running my 240v hot water heater and well pump for a while if one breaks and needs replacement. I mentioned 5 years because thats what the warranty is for, I kinda doubt EG4 is planning on replacing every single inverter they have ever sold and dont believe their product can even last a year.

The eg4’s will go months without issues
I think the longest they have ran for me without intervention was around a week.
Well, which one is it?

Seeing as mine have already ran months without issues, and no weekly intervention, it looks like im off to a good start and already doing better than you.

really not reliable for anything unless you’re willing to constantly babysit them.
If you offered me $4k to babysit an inverter, I would probably take that job. I like inverters

Last edited:
I feel convinced at this point 80% of people seeing failures don't know what they are doing and have bad setups. I turned mine on in Nov. Zero issues. They haven't turned off. They're running our entire house. I still haven't even updated my firmware.
This is an interesting post https://diysolarforum.com/threads/e...th-f80-fault-during-testing.55184/post-725393

"Previous to the latest firmware I found a way around this but it is not up to code or safe so I will not share."
Well, which one is it?

Seeing as mine have already ran months without issues, and no weekly intervention, it looks like im off to a good start and already doing better than you.
The Sol Ark must be in place less than a month.

Back