diy solar

diy solar

Going to Lifepo4

Simonbr

My system at camp is currently 24v 420aH FLA batteries and I want to move to LiFePO4 next year but I am stuck in selecting where and what to purchase. I would like to stick to 12v in the event I change the batteries or go back to 12v inverter, I can reuse the batteries or sell them easily, 24v is not common around here. I was planning to finish with 12v 300aH x2. We do live in a colder area that at the end and start of the season, nights can dip to -5c so low temp protection at a minimum and self-heating are two options I'm looking at. (I live in Canada)

1. This option is to purchase from Alibaba: I contacted a few sellers on Alibaba for the two batteries, I can get them for about $1500 US shipped. This includes 2x 12v 300aH with low temp and self-heating. The stores I selected are all verified 2 years+ with reviews. I seen some thread on here that there is allot of bad stuff coming out from Ali so this makes me hesitant. Are there any reliable stores or are they all pretty much shady with what they do? (Beijing XD Battery, Shenzhen Jiayi Technology, Shenzhen Basen Technology, to name a few)

2.The second option is to build my own from raw cells. I kind of shy away from this one because by the time I purchase cells, case, balancer, heating pad, balancer, etc it almost feels like I will be above the price of the batteries from Alib. Has any one found a good source to get the parts as to not have to purchase from 15 places?

I'm also open to other ideas

I see a lot of posts about ali being bad too, I have used it for all kinds of stuff (thousands of purchases) over a decade or so and have never had any issue (including returning or refunds)
I also see plenty of videos on cells from ali being just about what it was rated or even over what it was rated... and some with a few cells that were bad... and being unable to return (never had this issue)..

There are some resources and links to reputable ones:
and
(haven't used either but a lot of comments say they have)

another thread with good info on vendors to buy from https://diysolarforum.com/threads/need-eve-280k-batteries-luyuan-qso-docan-other-companies.72306/

As far as "a single place to buy stuff" other than ali. The closest is probably https://www.18650batterystore.com/

Anyway another thing to consider is the sodium ion that is spreading like wildfire all over, cells available etc.. but consider their voltage curve is "weird" so it may take time for controllers/inverters that handle it properly or whatever. Since you're buying in a year+ who knows what it'll be like there. I'd also recommend going 48volt though lol

Don't use 12v's in series. Are you aware of the balancing conundrum? There is no good way to keep them in balance. You will have to break the pack frequently to rebalance. Maybe monthly.

If you want better resale then maybe go to a 48v with your system. But if you are off grid there at 24v there is probably a good chance there are others on 24v too. It was a popular system design at one point.

this can balance 12v batts:

Other than resale what’s your hesitation from sticking with 24v?

Seems the easiest, you already have and inverter and SCC to support 24v?

I see zero benefits going to 12v vs 24v.

Or was that a typo and you meant to say you have 12v @ 420ah?

Is this set up manned/heated year round? Are you planning on leaving the batteries there during the winter if it’s closed up?

Other than resale what’s your hesitation from sticking with 24v?

Seems the easiest, you already have and inverter and SCC to support 24v?

I see zero benefits going to 12v vs 24v.

Or was that a typo and you meant to say you have 12v @ 420ah?

Is this set up manned/heated year round? Are you planning on leaving the batteries there during the winter if it’s closed up?
No my system is currently 24v 420aH. My only thoughts was in the event I want to separate my system I could go back to 2x 12v systems, one for my outdoor power needs as well as my DC fridge in the garage and the other for the RV. But thinking this out more that doesnt make much sense so I should maybe stick to a 24v battery.

Back