diy solar

diy solar

Got my solar tax credits and my CPA says I can't use them, but I can sell them?? Help!

showme

Since we got our off grid system commissioned this year, I turned in most of my list of expenses to my accountants. The firm are experts in RE taxes, and when I called to pay for their services, my accountant gave me some surprisingly bad news. Apparently, I can't use the credits because he said I don't have taxable income. I submitted $33,260 in receipts which, at 30%, gave me a credit of $9,978. But since I'm retired and on fixed income from my Ironworkers pension, social security and 2nd Injury fund bi-weekly checks which are not taxable, I'm told I don't have any/enough taxes to do it(?). I have had taxes withheld from my pension checks since I retired on disablilty due to a work injury in 2010, and we always get a refund. My tax guy told me that I'm just paying their office every year to get my money back, and even told me that I should stop having taxes taken out of my pension check. He said I'd just keep the money that's been coming right back to me every year.

I told him that I was planning on stopping the taxes so I could get the money back as a credit in future years, but he believes without actually being at a level that would generate taxes needing paid, that it would cancel each other out and I would be better off selling the credits. I had never heard of this. He sent me a link to renewable energy credit information on PJM Environmental Information Services, but it looks like the info on there is for states other than Missouri. He did mention that when credits are sold, it's usually for 50-70% of the face value, but anything's better than nothing.

So my question here is- Is it possible to sell "solar credits"?, and if so, how is it done? And, if so, would an off grid set up be eligible?

At this point, my wife and I are happy to just have our system and the ability to live where we want with endless "free" energy. It would be nice to get a rebate or money back down the road on our taxes, but we would have built this system regardless, so that's that.

If anyone has had this happen to them or is knowledgeable in this area, I would sure appreciate hearing your views. Thanks in advance! Lee

I think pollution credits, basically a "sin" tax, are a thing. But independent of federal income tax credits for solar property on your house.

Will you ever have additional income such as dividends or capital gains that would get taxed?

I'm not away that you can sell income tax credits.
A company with credits or losses can be acquired, and the tax benefits shared.

Are you married? If you found yourself a high-income wife, I think the credits could offset her taxes. ;)

Oh, you're already married. Invite her to start a business, perk being the first $33k of income is tax free.

How does this work?

He's got a tax credit which will offset taxable income in the future.
But never has any taxable income.

Anything he does which is taxable would be tax-free for the next $33k.
Whether salary, interest, capital gains ...
With a joint return, either his income or his wife's.

I had some credits carried forwarded which zeroed our taxes for a while. Maybe not my wife's self-employment social security taxes, but it did the income taxes.

Tax credits are for the wealthy. I never cease to be amazed at how liberals who always claim to be helping the downtrodden seem to be so quick to give wealthy folks a handout……..

Deductions are worth more in higher tax brackets, so favor the wealthy.
Credits are dollar for dollar savings. But only for those who owe taxes.

So credits are for the taxpaying working class and the wealthy. Just not the welfare class.

These days corporations have more rights than mere citizens.

Maybe a different kind of credit for companies that install PV and lease to customers.
Possibly those deals could work better than purchase for some customers without taxable income. Possibly.

They would have plenty of income to take credits against, but I think they sell pollution credits (clean energy credits.) We consumers in California don't seem to be able to, but other states offer that.

You cannot sell solar tax credits to anyone else. However, they do not expire, they carry over. So if you are a good investor and can cash out a lot of your capital gains from equities or sale of real estate, then you can use those solar tax credits to avoid taxes on your capital gains for a tax year.

So credits are for the taxpaying working class and the wealthy.
Nope, IMO the solar tax credits are absolutely for the wealthy- the wealthy who import and profit from the sale of equipment at prices that are inflated beyond what would be sustainable in a market economy. Edit: working class people are actually paying for the tax credits.

Nope, IMO the solar tax credits are absolutely for the wealthy- the wealthy who import and profit from the sale of equipment at prices that are inflated beyond what would be sustainable in a market economy. Edit: working class people are actually paying for the tax credits.
1712872277106.jpeg

In California, those low income citizens are served by a large community of activists who lobby constantly for tax credits and bill supplements and rate reductions for lower income house holds. This is a large help. Remember, meeting the needs of low income persons rarely results in private and corporate investment and the creation of large scale well paying jobs.

Deductions are worth more in higher tax brackets, so favor the wealthy.
Credits are dollar for dollar savings. But only for those who owe taxes.

So credits are for the taxpaying working class and the wealthy. Just not the welfare class.
Wealthy could still be low or negative income. Many of the welfare class would probably consider anyone that is installing solar to be wealthy.

Many of the welfare class would probably consider anyone that is installing solar to be wealthy.
I believe anyone who installs solar is either engaging in a hobby or is wealthy or both. Even for those such as myself who are doing it (off grid) for independence it’s a hobby by my definition.
I wouldn’t disagree with anyone who had the opinion that anyone doing solar is wealthy.

I am not wealthy but I installed solar for a number of reasons. First, it's good for the environment. Any power I produce for myself is completely clean energy. PGE uses natural gas and coal to generate some power, in addition to wind and solar so not completely green. Second, it reduces my monthly power costs and in the long terms saves me money. Third, although I don't have a lot of taxable income (pensions, Social Security and other retirement accounts) I do have some taxes and the credits offset that and get carried forward for several more years.

One other point, the credits are an offset for taxes, dollar for dollar, not income. The credits cannot be sold since they are only available on a primary residence, for the owner.

I think there is some confusion and it sounds like your CPA is talking about SRECs solar renewal energy credits which are based on the power your solar setup generates vs a federal tax credit which is based on the cost of your system

Back